Explanation of mortal sin please? All sins the same?

Can someone please explain what makes a sin mortal? Sin that leads to death? It is vague in the bible. The church I go to says all sin is equal, we are all sinners and that only blaspheny of the holy spirit is unforgivable.

Just a few examples of mortal sins and what are venial sins and where in the bible does it state that not all sins are the same? I thought if you lied that is the same as if you went out to kill someone. Although of course to me a human that makes no sense. But to God the almighty it would make sense since he cannot stand sin of any kind and that is why Jesus dies on the cross for our sins.

1 John 5:16-17: If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

An example that makes this easier to understand is imagining someone lying. The saying “little white lies” actually comes from the venial vs. mortal sin question. Let’s say someone is pulling a prank on someone else and takes that person’s car keys. The prankee goes around and asks everyone where his keys are at and they all say “I don’t know”. But once he gets to the pranker, the pranker says the same thing. This lie is still a tiny sin but since it’s lying about a prank and the prankee is in no harm spiritually or physically etc. then this would not be a mortal sin. Now, if a husband was cheating on his wife and his wife asked him where he was going at 8pm and he said “i’m going to the bar with the guys” but instead goes to the significant other, than this would be classified as a mortal sin. This hurts the wife spiritually and mentally.

The best thing to think about when it comes to mortal sin is that if it goes against the ten commandments (grave matter), someone has full knowledge and full consent of doing it, then it’s mortal sin.

Mortal sin is serious sins that cuts us off from sanctifying grace (a share in Gods own blessed life) . If one unrepentantly persists in ANY mortal sin, they damn themselves.

For something to be a mortal sin:

1 It must be of serious matter ( many consider this time be a commiting against one of the ten commandments).
2. It must be done with full knowledge of what you are doing.
3. It must be done with full consent of the will.

To sum it up…it’s a clear/obvious sin that someone commits of their own free will. They are choosing themselves to walk away from God through their word/action/deed/inaction or thought.

One scripture passage that comes to mind that shows not everything is equal:

46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.

47 And that servant, which knew his lord’s will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

This is from Luke 12. Here we see a difference in having full knowledge/consent of will and that there is a difference to the Lord.

God bless

Just use your common sense. :slight_smile:

Obviously there is a big difference in offense to God between something like blurting out a swear word in a moment of anger, and committing mass murder. Don’t ya think it makes sense for sins not to all be equally grave?

It is because all sins are not equally grave that we believe in purgatory, a place where we go after death to atone for lesser sins, with the assurance that atonement will be done commensurate with those sins.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.