Exploring Islam

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody knows of any good websites for learning more about the real fundamentals of Islam? Some websites don’t seem too reliable…

I’ve read some books and looked around the web, but I’m still shocked at how little I know about the basics of this religion.

Alternatively, if somebody on here could answer some questions that would be most useful. :slight_smile: Stuff like: What is Shariah Law? The Hadiths, Sunnah, and Qur’an? Mohammad? Jesus and the Bible in the Islamic worldview? What is the afterlife? Who is Allah?

I gave all those nouns capital letters cause I’m not sure if they should or not!

I’d be so grateful if somebody can help me out here. :slight_smile:

God Bless,
ClemtheCatholic

The only thing really reliable is the Catholic Faith. Sorry for being tongue in cheek (even when it’s true :D) but why do you want to learn about Islam?

Are you 100% sure about your own Faith? Do you know who Jesus really is? Because if you’re not 100% sure you can be easily swayed. That is my fear for you.

MJ

I am very sure about my own Catholic faith. I can see many ways that Islam can be refuted (William Lane Craig does a good job here).

However, that said, I find it rather annoying when people say we shouldn’t explore other faiths and learn about them. It is important that we know the battlefield. I asked on this forum because I thought I’d do best to learn more about Islam coming from the Catholic perspective.

Allah the God, this surah Al Ikhlas explains him, he has 99 names.

Say, “The truth is: Allah is One. [1] Allah is
Besought of all, needing none. [2] He
neither begot anyone, nor he was begotten.
[3] And equal to Him has never been any
one.”[4]

He is the only God ( Monotheism, he was never created and he has no child ).

Sharia Laws are Islamic religious laws, related to mostly everything that you could possibly imagine.

Quran is the Holy book of Islam, coming from God not from humans, therefore it’s without any error as Muslims claim.

Muslims believe that Mohammed is the last messenger of God and that Jesus is the messiah, born from virgin but was never crucified and he is not the son of God, just another prophet.

Afterlife, there is Heaven and Hell, Muslims and people the book can go to Heaven, others cannot. (This depends).

Hadith and Sunnah are based on the life of Mohammed and his sayings.

Huda TV huda.tv/ is a pretty good resource.

The USCCB- usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/ecumenical-and-interreligious/interreligious/interreligious-documents-and-news-releases.cfm

Ok that’s good to know.

However, that said, I find it rather annoying when people say we shouldn’t explore other faiths and learn about them. It is important that we know the battlefield. I asked on this forum because I thought I’d do best to learn more about Islam coming from the Catholic perspective.

Sorry about that. I don’t mean to make you annoyed. It is my pet peeve when it comes to other religions who use Jesus’ name and tell us who is was rather than those who actually experienced him first hand and witnessed all the marvels and passed on what they learned. Long before Islam was a blip on the radar so to speak.

That said you’ve got some good suggestions.Hope they give you what you are looking for.

Peace.

MJ

The fundamentals of Islam are simple: “There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger.” Reciting such a prayer in faith automatically makes one a Muslim. Immediately following recitation Allah takes all of your sins and turns them into good deeds. A clean slate so to say.

An angel sits on the right recording good deeds, and one on your left recording the bad (s. 50:17-18) if your good outweigh your bad then you go to Heaven, if not you may go to Hell. People don’t spend eternity in Hell unless they commit “shirk” which is equating others with Allah. In Islam this includes Christians who say Jesus is God, when Muslims believe He is just a Prophet.

If you have any questions I’ll answer to my best ability.

Here is the entire sharia law book you can read on line - it’s broken into categories:

Or you can buy it on amazon. It’s called the “reliance of the traveler”

web.archive.org/web/20020830184127/http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/books/NHMK_RT/book_o.htm#o8.0

Here is Bukhari, Muslim, Dawud & Muwatta hadith books:

searchtruth.com/hadith_books.php

Here is the quran:

searchtruth.com/list.php

Sunnah of the islamic prophet

rasoulallah.net/index.php/en/articles/category/269

I’m done posting links:

Basic answers to the questions you asked:

Shariah law: a code of law believed to have been revealed by God. The job of interpreting and applying this law is “fiqh.” In the majority Sunni tradition, there are four schools of fiqh: Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi’i and Hanbali (on issues that are of concern to non-Muslims, the order I have listed the schools is more or less from the most “liberal” or moderate to the most hardline, although the differences are fairly nuanced). The code of law to which Jakasaki linked (Reliance of the Traveler) is Shafi’i. For centuries, Sunni Muslims were expected to follow the established rulings of one of these schools. (This is often called “the closing of the gates of ijtihad,” with “ijtihad” being fresh interpretations of shari’a, but this seems to be a phrase used mostly by Western scholars, at least today.) In recent centuries, renewal movements in Islam have sought to “reopen the gates” and formulate fresh interpretations of shari’a based on the original sources. This has gone in both “liberal” and “fundamentalist” directions. What we think of as fundamentalist Islam is heavily influenced by a late medieval Hanbali scholar named Ibn Taymiyyah, so it tends to follow Hanbali interpretations, but treats even those with considerable freedom. On the other end of the spectrum, some liberal Muslims question not only established fiqh traditions but also the hadith, arguing that only the Qur’an is truly authoritative. Which leads to:

Qur’an, hadith, and sunnah of the prophet
Muslims believe that the Qur’an is the Word of God in the fullest sense of the term. Traditionally it’s seen as “uncreated” (kind of equivalent to Nicea’s decree about Jesus). Muhammad isn’t seen as the author in any real sense–God is.
The sunnah of the prophet, on the other hand, is the tradition handed down from Muhammad consisting of his teachings and example, and to a lesser extent the teachings/example of his companions. The sunnah is known through collections of sayings called “hadith,” which were edited and compiled by Islamic scholars a couple of centuries after Muhammad’s time. Western scholars and liberal Muslims have some questions about whether this process is as reliable as Muslims have traditionally believed.

Muhammad is regarded as the last prophet, through whom the Qur’an was revealed. Jesus is also seen as a great prophet–in fact, Muslims believe in both His virginal conception and His second coming, though not, oddly enough from our perspective, in His crucifixion (at least most Muslims don’t–the Qur’an can be interpreted more than one way on this point, but the traditional interpretation is that Jesus was not crucified). The main difference between Muhammad and previous prophets was that the earlier prophets’ message was corrupted by their followers. The Qur’an is the fullest revelation of God, and God did not allow it to be corrupted. Thus, Muslims see the Bible as a book containing genuine divine revelation but not trustworthy in its present form.

Websites: it is difficult to figure out where a given website is coming from. As in Christianity, fundamentalist Muslims will insist that their interpretation and only theirs is truly Muslim, so fundamentalist websites won’t label themselves as such. But here are a few websites I’m familiar with:

Islamicity

Islam Online

Shafi’i Fiqh

oh gosh… isn’t that the terrorist handbook? It must be if they quote Aisha and Bukhari

Thank you so much everybody! :slight_smile:

God Bless,
ClemtheCatholic

:stuck_out_tongue:

Do Shia have a different Sharia law book?

:mad: why that hatred towards that youth girl!, she was forced to marry Muhammed when she was only 6 years and when he died she was 18, why don’t Shia consider that and show some sympathy towards her !!!

If Shia thinks that she made up things after Muhammed death, then that is the natural results of the abuse she faced during her childhood, and I personally think that girl will make it straight to heavens.

I would probably avoid references to terrorism, even if you think the topic overblown, in conversations about Islam.

I encourage anyone who wants to learn more about Islam to try to separate and parse cultural practices from Middle Eastern and majority Islamic countries and tenets of the actual Islamic faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.