Exposing the Blessed Sacrament before a possessed person?

It is my understanding that the Blessed Sacrament is not to be brought before a demon possessed person due to potential blasphemy? I would think that since it is truly Christ, the possessed would not be able to bear to look at the host, much less profane it. Somebody help me out. Thanks.

[quote="just_came_back, post:1, topic:314320"]
It is my understanding that the Blessed Sacrament is not to be brought before a demon possessed person due to potential blasphemy? I would think that since it is truly Christ, the possessed would not be able to bear to look at the host, much less profane it. Somebody help me out. Thanks.

[/quote]

I believe it is due to possible desecration (for example, the possessed person grabs It).

[/quote]

I have not known that this is done especially if the one possessed is violent. It got much to do with the impracticality of it to avoid descration. However, anyone can approach the Blessed Sacrament.

[/quote]

In what capacity are you speaking of? Do you mean the Eucharist exposed in a monstrance? Holding the Eucharist before the possessed?

Regardless, the Eucharist is not a talisman to be waved about. It is Christ, to be adored and consumed. The possessed cannot adore the Eucharist. I feel that the proper formula has proven more than sufficient.

Likewise, I agree with these posters, in regards to the prevention of blasphemy and sacrilege:

[quote="Zekariya, post:2, topic:314320"]
I believe it is due to possible desecration (for example, the possessed person grabs It).

[/quote]

[quote="Reuben_J, post:3, topic:314320"]
I have not known that this is done especially if the one possessed is violent. It got much to do with the impracticality of it to avoid descration. However, anyone can approach the Blessed Sacrament.

[/quote]

Surely this is so rare that it happens once every 1000 years or so-if there a case where this did happen?

I disagree.

First of all, hearing a talk from Father Gary Thomas, a quite "famous" excorcist since the movie The Rite was made about him, he said he never does an exorcism WITHOUT the Eucharist present. (By the way he also stated the demons absolutly believe in the Real Presence and are horrified by it, which is an awesome confirmation of faith for me :thumbsup:)

But also, in Scripture the demons do not blaspheme Christ. They know and acknowledge who He is without doubt and obey Him when He commands them to leave. If Christ is truly present in the Eucharist then it should be no different than Christ's encounter's with the possessed in Scripture. And again from hearing Father Thomas' talk, this is what basically happens.

[quote="SMA_12, post:6, topic:314320"]
I disagree.

First of all, hearing a talk from Father Gary Thomas, a quite "famous" excorcist since the movie The Rite was made about him, he said he never does an exorcism WITHOUT the Eucharist present. (By the way he also stated the demons absolutly believe in the Real Presence and are horrified by it, which is an awesome confirmation of faith for me :thumbsup:)

But also, in Scripture the demons do not blaspheme Christ. They know and acknowledge who He is without doubt and obey Him when He commands them to leave. If Christ is truly present in the Eucharist then it should be no different than Christ's encounter's with the possessed in Scripture. And again from hearing Father Thomas' talk, this is what basically happens.

[/quote]

Thanks. That would be along my line of thinking. Makes sense when you consider how the demons were begging our Lord for mercy when it came to the exorcism of Legion.

[quote="cmodrmac, post:5, topic:314320"]
Surely this is so rare that it happens once every 1000 years or so-if there a case where this did happen?

[/quote]

Are you asserting that exorcism only occurs once every 1000 years? I can give you a few occasions in the last century.

[quote="SMA_12, post:6, topic:314320"]
I disagree.

[/quote]

While Father may do this, that certainly does not give any credence to the practice of exposing the Eucharist to the possessed. Can you show me where Father claimed this? I'm interested in learning more.

[quote="Bl_Pope_Pius_IX, post:8, topic:314320"]
Are you asserting that exorcism only occurs once every 1000 years? I can give you a few occasions in the last century.

While Father may do this, that certainly does not give any credence to the practice of exposing the Eucharist to the possessed. Can you show me where Father claimed this? I'm interested in learning more.

[/quote]

The best I can do is give you the link to my Parish's home page, and there is a video right on the home page called "Excorcist tells his story". I was in the crowd during that talk. The video is quite long and there are some technical difficulties throughout the video but if you would like to fast forward to the part about the Eucharist it begins 42 minutes and 45 seconds into the video.

stpetergreeley.org/

Right, I found what I was looking for earlier.

I direct your attention to Paragraph 13, Chapter I, Part XIII of the Roman Ritual on Exorcism (HERE). It can be found roughly 3/4 of the way down, but I will quote it here:

He ought to have a crucifix at hand or somewhere in sight.
If relics of the saints are available, they are to be applied in
a reverent way to the breast or the head of the person possessed
(the relics must be properly and securely encased and covered).
One will see to it that these sacred objects are not treated
improperly or that no injury is done them by the evil spirit.
However, one should not hold the holy Eucharist over the head of
the person or in any way apply it to his body, owing to the
danger of desecration

I think this is important as it comes right from the Roman Ritual itself. However, I will concede that I am not sure if this version is outdated, though, I see no reason to think so.

[/quote]

The Host is not a talisman that wards off demons. It is the body and blood of Christ, who could choose to expel the demon or not.

Satan tempted Christ in the desert; a demon possessed person could blaspheme the Host.

[quote="runningdude, post:11, topic:314320"]
The Host is not a talisman that wards off demons. It is the body and blood of Christ, who could choose to expel the demon or not.

Satan tempted Christ in the desert; a demon possessed person could blaspheme the Host.

[/quote]

Indeed!

[quote="Bl_Pope_Pius_IX, post:10, topic:314320"]
Right, I found what I was looking for earlier.

I direct your attention to Paragraph 13, Chapter I, Part XIII of the Roman Ritual on Exorcism (HERE). It can be found roughly 3/4 of the way down, but I will quote it here:

I think this is important as it comes right from the Roman Ritual itself. However, I will concede that I am not sure if this version is outdated, though, I see no reason to think so.

[/quote]

Makes sense. Father said he had the Eucharist displayed on the alter during the exorcisms, but not within reach of the possessed person.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.