Exposition And Benediction

I live in a mid-sized city with several Catholic Churches. After accessing all of their websites, I am sad to say that none of them offer Exposition and Benediction on any kind of regular basis. I have to wonder why this is, as it would seem to me something that would be very beneficial to most Catholics.

Most churches have a pastor and a parochial vicar and sometimes even 3 priests mentioned...so why don't they take the time to offer this?:(

[quote="LindyLou, post:1, topic:177446"]
Most churches have a pastor and a parochial vicar and sometimes even 3 priests mentioned...so why don't they take the time to offer this?

[/quote]

That's not something any of us could know for sure. (Although maybe people just aren't aware of it... that's certainly possible in our under-catechized day and age.) Instead of lamenting the absence of this important devotion, perhaps you could ask one of these pastors (or other parish priests) if he would consider offering it.

I live in a mid-sized city with several Catholic Churches. After accessing all of their websites, I am sad to say that none of them offer Exposition and Benediction on any kind of regular basis. I have to wonder why this is, as it would seem to me something that would be very beneficial to most Catholics.

Most churches have a pastor and a parochial vicar and sometimes even 3 priests mentioned...so why don't they take the time to offer this?:(

[/quote]

I know the feeling. It is sad. I don't have a solution since some parishes seem to not have this topic up for conversation. I do know that some pastors are more willing if you can get a peer group together whose goal in getting together is for Adoration and Benediction. This can help your case. I'm hoping to find a parish that does precession before the Benediction. Those are so beautiful.

It could be that the website neglected to mention it. The more sure thing to do is call the church and ask. That has the added benefit of letting the parish office know that there is someone asking about it.

If it turns out that the church doesn't offer Adoration with Exposition, you could ask to speak to the priest and request that it be offered. If you don't feel comfortable asking the priest about it directly, then call a parish council member and ask them to bring it up at the next parish council meeting.

Thanks for your replies. You have given me alot to consider.:)

[/quote]

I love Adoration, and I ultimately found my parish that way. I used a website called therealpresence.org

This website is a wonderful tool, especially for people like me that travel for business.

Want to adore at home? how about Savior.org This website offers 24 hour a day, live adoration.

Exposition and Benediction are NOT liturgical services.

Lauds, Vespers, and Compline are.

Which do you really think should be introduced first?

Eucharistic Adoration is a extension of the holy Mass. This is normally a special event arranged with the pastor. I attended Exposition and Benediction last night. Special flyers were sent , but that is not always the case.

[/quote]

what are the regulations published by your bishop? quite likely they include a provision that enough members of the faithful be present to insure our Lord is not left alone, that the rite have meaning, that it not become just something the priests are doing to please themselves, not for the benefit of the faithful. Sounds like there needs to be some education in this diocese for the faithful so they will start asking for this, so the bishop can be assured they will take advantage of it. You sound like the perfect person to start this movement. Good luck. The movement to restore this practice in our former diocese began with the faithful, has spread to over half the parishes of the diocese, and the transformation is nothing short of miraculous in all areas: conformity to rubrics in liturgy, reform of catechesis, growth of vocations, growth in social service outreach, and boom in evangelization.

[/quote]

It's getting better! More churches are beginning to offer Exposition of the Eucharist and Benediction, usually around Easter time. Whether or not it makes an 'official' comeback as it used to be reamins to be seen. That depends on the bishops who should be encouraging his priests to make it so. It all begins at the top, you know. :rolleyes:

We are very blessed around here to have many parishes offering Exposition and Benediction on a regular basis, my parish has it every Friday from 9am to 8 am Saturday. The problem arises in organizing it, because there have to be enough people signed up for every hour that are committed to being there, as Jesus cannot be left alone, and the priests have to be committed to being there for the Benediction and the closing. So unless there are enough people in a parish committed to this, and clergy available and willing to commit to it, it won't happen. Perhaps you could approach your pastor about starting it in your parish. It does not have to be a 24-hour thing as my parish does, it could be just a few hours a week on the same day.

I joined our Holy Hour program today at our Parish. Our Parish has had 18 hour a day adoration for 29 years. In today's bulletin, several openings were posted, one of them being a 5:00 pm Sunday. That time really works well for me as I am always available at 5:00 pm Sunday.

I'm starting tonight! Praise God!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.