Exposition and repose of the Blessed sacrament

Can a priest (or deacon) expose and repose the Blessed Sacrament without benediction, and if so, can they do it without vesting (cope, humeral veil) and without incense. All of the rites I have found assume that the priest or deacon will give a benediction in which case vesting and incense (with exposition in a monstrance) is required.

Thanks

Preist or deacon can do a simple repose of the sacrament. A case may be if there is continous adoration and mass is going to begin. Adortaion is not to take place during mass, the preist or decon would repose the euchaist simply.

Of course! There are perpetual and limited time Adoration Chapels.
Benediction is a “Blessing” using the Blessed Sacrement.
Canon law # 941, 942, 943 will give you a better understanding.
Under certain conditions the laity are allowed to expose and/or repose the Blessed
Sacrement.

Hi, what concerned me was something from the USCCB:

usccb.org/liturgy/innews/September2006.pdf

section 5 that says

“For exposition of the Blessed Sacrament in the monstrance, four to six candles are lighted and incense is used. For exposition of the Blessed Sacrament in the ciborium, at least two candles should be lighted, and incense may be used.” (HCW, no. 85)

and section 6:

“The minister, if he is a priest or deacon, should vest in an alb, or a surplice over a cassock, and a stole. Other ministers should wear either the liturgical vestments which are used in the region or the vesture which is suitable for this ministry and which has been approved by the Ordinary. The priest or deacon should wear a white cope and humeral veil to give the blessing at the end of adoration, when the exposition takes place with the monstrance; in the case of exposition in the ciborium, the humeral veil should be worn.” (HCW, no. 92)

When exposition and reposition is done by a lay person, generally no vestments are used, there is no incense, and there is certainly no benediction. I was wondering if, by omitting the incense and vestments, the priest was functioning “as a lay person” which would not be allowed. E.g., if a priest or deacon is available it would not be licit for a lay person to expose the Blessed Sacrament, even though it is if there is neither priest nor deacon available.

These are general instructions, for the idealed perfered practice. Notice the use of should and not must. The preist or deacon can make the call.

yes and yes

From the liturgical book “Holy Communion and the Worship of the Eucharist Outside of Mass” (from The Rites Volume One, Liturgical Press, 1990, ISBN: 0-8146-6015-0, page 672):
“LENGTHY EXPOSITION
86. …
87. …
88. Where there cannot be uninterrupted exposition because there is not a sufficient number of worshipers, it is permissible to replace the blessed sacrament in the tabernacle at fixed hours that are announced ahead of time. But this may not be done more than twice a day, for example, at midday and at night.
The following form of simple reposition may be observed:** the priest or deacon, vested in an alb, or a surplice over a cassock, and a stole**, replaces the blessed sacrament in the tabernacle after a brief period of adoration and a prayer said with those present. The exposition of the blessed sacrament may take place again, in the same manner and at a scheduled time.” (My bold text.)

So in this special case there seems to be exposition and reposition, without benediction. But at the end of the “Lengthy Exposition” I would expect there to be benediction.

Another quote:
“III. MINISTER OF EXPOSITION
91. The ordinary minister for exposition of the eucharist is a priest or deacon. At the end of the period of adoration, before the reposition, he blesses the congregation with the sacrament.”

The cope and humeral veil are only for the blessing:
“92. The minister, if he is a priest or deacon, should vest in an alb, or a surplice over a cassock, and a stole. … The priest or deacon should wear a white cope and humeral veil to give the blessing at the end of adoration, when the exposition takes place with the monstrance; …”

In the ceremony:
“99. After the prayer the priest or deacon put on the humeral veil, genuflects and takes the monstrance or ciborium. He makes the sign of the cross over the people with the monstrance or ciborium, in silence.”

yes

once some nuns I knew let a priest borrow their monstrance (not sure why he didnt have one) to use for exposition. He returned it to them in a paper bag, and when they took it out they found the host still inside…needless to say they never let him use it again.

While you can have exposition without benediction, I would say its a rarity really…most expositions will conclude with benediction.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.