Exposition?

So, I generally go to Mass on Thursday evenings in the church at which I am going through RCIA. After Mass we have an RCIA meeting, but last week I realised that, prior to Mass, there is exposition for half an hour.

I’ve never attended exposition before, so I don’t know exactly what I should expect or if there’s anything I ought to know before I do. Any thoughts?

Obviously I am unable to participate in communion, and I am beginning to feel this keenly, as my appreciation for just what happens at the Mass deepens. The idea of being able to spend time in the presence of the blessed sacrament is an exciting one.

Hi “Statius” :slight_smile: Indeed, it is an exciting and wonderful thing to be able to spend time in the Presence of Our dear Lord, Jesus Christ… in the Most Blessed Sacrament! In His Eucharistic Presence… He keeps the promise He made… that He would be with us always, until the end of the age! :extrahappy:

My suggestion to you, is that you sit quietly… and bask in His Love! You can also bring prayers, or spiritual reading. I prefer to sit quietly, and listen… just in case He might have something He wishes to say to me. :rolleyes:

God bless you!

Hi Statius, :slight_smile: before I was officially Catholic, I also really wanted to receive Our Lord in the Eucharist, and since I couldn’t I started going to ‘exposition’ or Adoration at my parish. I definitely recommend this! It really deepened my appreciation of the Eucharist and gave me so many graces. There’s a short book called “visits to the Blessed Sacrament” by St Liguori that really helped me, it’s available online: freewebs.com/wallmell/LiguoriVisits.htm

when you come in, you genuflect, but on both knees; cross yourself. Then you can sit or kneel and just pray, or think, read, etc… you can really do anything you want :slight_smile: what I’ve found helpful is just reflecting on the Real Presence, what it means to me, etc.

It’s really wonderful and peaceful! :slight_smile: the first couple of times, I found it difficult to stay a long time, but something drew me back… and with practice, it gets much easier. Maybe for you, it would be easy from the start!

I think it really pleases the Lord, when we come to visit Him. :slight_smile:

God bless!!

I just can’t figure out why RCIA classes don’t stress adoration more - why not? What is the reason?

I went to adoration (where I live there are several perpetual adoration chapels within short driving distances) at least twice a week for over 2 years prior to my becoming Catholc. My RCIA sponsor hadn’t gone to adoration in a while and didn’t even realize there was a perpetual adoration chapel within blocks of where she lived. When I would bring up the topic of adoration in RCIA class, it was met with blank looks and the topic would change as if I had brought up something scandalous.

In my RCIA class and in my husband’s class, there were people who complained about not being able to receive the Body, Bllod, Soul, and Divinity of Our Lord in Communion - and I would pipe up and suggest adoration. The sponsors would say “Oh, yeah, that’s right,” but never encourage it. No one seemed willing to sit with Our Lord for any length of time.

Now, I have a 30+ year background in meditation, so it was easy for me to simply meditate in the Presence of Our Lord, and I understand that I’m probably a rarity. But surely you can read, pray, and speak to Our Lord - anyone can do that. No one in either of the two RCIA classes bothered to attend even once. I gave out directions, offered to go with anyone who wanted to go, anytime they wanted to, No takers, not one, not once. To this day I still don’t understand why that was.

So, Statius, yes, please attend adoration as much as you can. You can locate adoration times in your area at www.masstimes.org. Some chapels have combination locks on the doors, but I used to just knock on the door until someone answered or called the church and asked to speak to the chapel coordinator to get the code. Volunteering at a perpetual adoration chapel is a great way to serve Our Lord and others at the same time! If a weekly time-slot isn’t possible, you can also offer to be on the substitue list of adorers so that when someone is ill or on vacation you can fill-in their hour. I’ve been with Our Lord many Thanksgivings and Christmas and New Year’s holidays that way! Perpetual adoration chapels are always needing extra volunteer adorers, so you will be most welcome to help out even before you become a Catholic!

It’s probably a good thing that I’m not out in charge of an RCIA program - I’d make weekly adoration a requirement. :smiley:

that is sad :frowning:

I think that Adoration is a really wonderful part of our faith. I read that many of the Saints were devoted to it… I think it’s just not taught enough, or not taught properly.

In my RCIA class and in my husband’s class, there were people who complained about not being able to receive the Body, Bllod, Soul, and Divinity of Our Lord in Communion - and I would pipe up and suggest adoration. The sponsors would say “Oh, yeah, that’s right,” but never encourage it. No one seemed willing to sit with Our Lord for any length of time.

Now, I have a 30+ year background in meditation, so it was easy for me to simply meditate in the Presence of Our Lord, and I understand that I’m probably a rarity. But surely you can read, pray, and speak to Our Lord - anyone can do that.

that’s true, you can even just sit there and just be in His presence, if you want :slight_smile:

No one in either of the two RCIA classes bothered to attend even once. I gave out directions, offered to go with anyone who wanted to go, anytime they wanted to, No takers, not one, not once. To this day I still don’t understand why that was.

hmm do you think that maybe (due to lack of catechesis, probably…) many people just don’t see the point of it? Of course there IS a point, but maybe people are just not educated about it.

So, Statius, yes, please attend adoration as much as you can. You can locate adoration times in your area at www.masstimes.org. Some chapels have combination locks on the doors, but I used to just knock on the door until someone answered or called the church and asked to speak to the chapel coordinator to get the code. Volunteering at a perpetual adoration chapel is a great way to serve Our Lord and others at the same time! If a weekly time-slot isn’t possible, you can also offer to be on the substitue list of adorers so that when someone is ill or on vacation you can fill-in their hour. I’ve been with Our Lord many Thanksgivings and Christmas and New Year’s holidays that way! Perpetual adoration chapels are always needing extra volunteer adorers, so you will be most welcome to help out even before you become a Catholic!

It’s probably a good thing that I’m not out in charge of an RCIA program - I’d make weekly adoration a requirement. :smiley:

me too lol :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.