extra ecclesiam nulla salus

yes common topic I did a search :slight_smile:

and here’s some links…

scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a9p3.htm

“Outside the Church there is no salvation”

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336

catholicism.org/eens.html

ewtn.com/expert/answers/outside_the_church.htm

catholic.com/library/Salvation_Outside_the_Church.asp

catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=674

dailycatholic.org/issue/04Feb/feb25qds.htm

staycatholic.com/salvation_outside_the_church.htm

romancatholicism.org/jansenism/tradition-eens.htm

truecatholic.org/cathsalv.htm

I like this statement because it is clearly saying that Catholic Christian theology has limits and here is of 1 them

why this upsets people I don’t understand, everything else has limits, why wouldn’t Christianity be any different ?

[quote=zingo227]I like this statement because it is clearly saying that Catholic Christian theology has limits and here is of 1 them

why this upsets people I don’t understand, everything else has limits, why wouldn’t Christianity be any different ?
[/quote]

Zingo,

The idea of “limits” on Christianity upsets many people, I think, for at least three reasons. First, a limit on Christianity can be easily (although not correctly) extended to a limit on God, and God has no limits. People try to put limits on God all the time, and limiting Christianity is one way of doing it.

My second reason is that “Christianity is limited” is often confused with “Christianity is wrong.” Again, there is no logical basis for this statement, but it is very easy to fall into.Yes, Christianity is limited (it won’t tell you about the structure of the atom, for example), but within its limitations it is absolutely correct.

My third reason is that people try to limit Christianity much more than they should. To acknowledge that Christianity is limited is to open the door to other sources of morality (there aren’t any), to claim that one’s faith is strictly a private matter (it isn’t) and that Christian morality does not belong in the public sphere (it does). Of one gives an inch to the enemies of Christianity they will try to take a mile.

• Liberian

[quote=Liberian]The idea of “limits” on Christianity upsets many people, I think, for at least three reasons
[/quote]

good reply but I probably could have used a better word there. by “limit”, I meant something more like a well-defined edge, or boundary.

I think this is a boundary statement (whatever it could be called :slight_smile: because it clearly says this is what Christianity is, and it is not that

to me this statement is just saying that if you want the benefits of Christianity, then you have to follow the rest of it too. can’t just achieve eternal life/salvation for free, have to agree to follow Christian theology

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.