Extraordinary minister and invalid marriage - Help

**So I attended Extraordinary minister training cause Its only offered so often

we filled out papers stating our relationship, sacraments received and if married whether we are married through the church

I am married legally but not in the church... yet - my wife is in RCIA and we have yet to set the date but thats it

we are also currently abstaining

I got an email with my name on a roster for being an Extraordinary minister for the next 3 months 1 time each month - so the Pastor approved my paper

can I preform this duty in my current state?

would it make a difference if I went to confession the day before confessing cohabitation? since my marriage is not yet valid in the church

should I contact the person running the whole gig and ask to be removed until my marriage is valid

any links and advice would be helpful, especially pertaining to cannon law**

Marital status is kind of a tricky thing. You're a catholic, and your wife is not AS OF YET.

If you are living as brother and sister (abstaining)....cohabitation isin't a problem.

I also think that if your pastor approved, you are good to go friend unless you think your situation would cause some kind of scandal right now.

[quote="mab23, post:1, topic:325568"]

we filled out papers stating our relationship, sacraments received and if married whether we are married through the church

I am married legally but not in the church... yet - my wife is in RCIA and we have yet to set the date but thats it

I got an email with my name on a roster for being an Extraordinary minister for the next 3 months 1 time each month - so the Pastor approved my paper

would it make a difference if I went to confession the day before confessing cohabitation? since my marriage is not yet valid in the church

should I contact the person running the whole gig and ask to be removed until my marriage is valid

[/quote]

In my parish you would not be allowed to help distribute Holy Communion. I think you should make an appointment with your pastor asap. It's his decision, not anyone else's.

[/quote]

Brother and sister vow, while cohabiting, and receiving the Eucharist only where one's situation is not known, such that no scandal to anyone, not just children, has been allowed through the internal forum (confession), but is not normal. These Vatican documents show the teaching on the topic. From Familiaris Consortio of Blessed John Paul II: c) Catholics in Civil Marriages

1. There are increasing cases of Catholics who for ideological or practical reasons, prefer to contract a merely civil marriage, and who reject or at least defer religious marriage. Their situation cannot of course be likened to that of people simply living together without any bond at all, because in the present case there is at least a certain commitment to a properly-defined and probably stable state of life, even though the possibility of a future divorce is often present in the minds of those entering a civil marriage. By seeking public recognition of their bond on the part of the State, such couples show that they are ready to accept not only its advantages but also its obligations. Nevertheless, not even this situation is acceptable to the Church.

The aim of pastoral action will be to make these people understand the need for consistency between their choice of life and the faith that they profess, and to try to do everything possible to induce them to regularize their situation in the light of Christian principle. While treating them with great charity and bringing them into the life of the respective communities, the pastors of the Church will regrettably not be able to admit them to the sacraments.
vatican.va/holy_father/jo...sortio_en.html

vatican.va/roman_curia/co...vorced_en.html

I think that the person should follow his pastor's wise counsel. As they are abstaining they are living chaste lives in line with Church teaching.

OP, could you tell us why you don't trust your priest's decision?

Follow the advice of your pastor. But I think the church recognizes marriages performed outside of the church so long as there is nothing hindering both parties from being married to each other. Such as a previous marriage.

If not then why not go ahead and get your marriage blessed now? Your wife doesn't have to be a confirmed Catholic to have your marriage blessed.

[quote="Steveabrous, post:7, topic:325568"]
Follow the advice of your pastor. But I think the church recognizes marriages performed outside of the church so long as there is nothing hindering both parties from being married to each other. Such as a previous marriage.

If not then why not go ahead and get your marriage blessed now? Your wife doesn't have to be a confirmed Catholic to have your marriage blessed.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

If they were legally married with one being Catholic --but outside the Church (without dispensation of form)–then they are “legally” married civilly --but not yet married validly in the Church.

The case is different if both were not Catholic…

Touching the matter of being a EMHC:

I would simply withdraw the request to be an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion --and simply say it is -you realized it not going to work you right at the moment- without any fan fair. If asked one can brush it off by saying its too long of a story (or something like that) -- but I still hope to serve later.

Then get married as soon as possible....

[/quote]

This issue will need to be resolved before your wife is received into the Church. Why not have the convalidation as soon as possible and fix everything?

[/quote]

I have a sincere question, and I don't mean any offence by it.

Why do you feel the need to be an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion?

It's certainly not necessary. No one has to be one, in fact, the Mass would go on without any at all! It would just take a bit longer. I'm not speaking against extraordinary ministers, just trying to point out that, at this time in your life, you might not be called to that area of service. The reason is that it might cause scandal to some people - how are they to know that you are abstaining and that your wife is in RCIA?

Is there a reason why you need to start this service right now?

mab23 -

Is there a reason you married civilly as opposed to getting married in the Church to begin with? A Catholic is allowed to marry a baptized non-Catholic in the Catholic Church (with the bishop's permission needed to make it licit), and may even validly (although not sacramentally) marry an unbaptized person in the Catholic Church if the bishop grants a dispensation from the impediment of disparity of cult. Is there something else besides the mere fact that she isn't Catholic preventing you from marrying in the Church?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.