Ezekiel 5.

I was reading Ezekiel 5 titled in NRSV "A sword against Jerusalem."
Are the punishments prophecied in Ezekiel somthing that has happened allready? or yet to come? or being fullfilled in our time?
In Ezekiel 5:9 Its sais about Jerusalem "And because of your abominations, I will do to you what i have never yet done, and the like of which i will never do again." That sounds familiar to me, i think from one of Marys messages. where she warns us of punishments God will inflict on humanity if we dont repent. And it leads me to thinks its somthing that hasnt happened yet.
I probably just answered my own question. But im still curious what people think about this maybe some of you are educated or have studied these prophecies before.

[quote="riffer791, post:1, topic:302155"]
Are the punishments prophecied in Ezekiel somthing that has happened allready? or yet to come? or being fullfilled in our time?
In Ezekiel 5:9 Its sais about Jerusalem "And because of your abominations, I will do to you what i have never yet done, and the like of which i will never do again." That sounds familiar to me, i think from one of Marys messages. where she warns us of punishments God will inflict on humanity if we dont repent. And it leads me to thinks its somthing that hasnt happened yet.
I probably just answered my own question. But im still curious what people think about this maybe some of you are educated or have studied these prophecies before.

[/quote]

:hmmm: Seems to be talking about what the people of Israel went through in 74 AD when the Romans laid siege killed and deported all as slaves. Those would be the ones that were spared and went into exiles in all the nations.
What about being hated and despised by all? Sound familiar?

Yeah, could be that.
But He did say he will do what He has never yet done, and the like of which He will never do again. im not an expert on history so i dont know, has Jerusalem been held seige since then?

In my NRSV bile it sais "Moreover, I will make you a desolation and an object of mocking among the nations around you, in the sight of all that pass by."
Im not sure what your refering to when you ask sound familiar?
Is Jerusalem an object of mockery to the surrounding nations these days, or has it ever been? I dont think iv ever heard anyone mock Jerusalem. But i imagine after the seige you were talking about, Jerusalem would have been an object of mockery to the surrounding nations.
I recon your probably right about that. thanks for clearing that up for me.:thumbsup:

[quote="riffer791, post:1, topic:302155"]
In Ezekiel 5:9 Its sais about Jerusalem "And because of your abominations, I will do to you what i have never yet done, and the like of which i will never do again."

[/quote]

I don't know, but this seems a very profound prophesy. I think it goes beyond the "historical" interpretation. I think the Lord's words are symbolic more than literal, throughout Ezekiel 5, and also relate to the prophesy of Simeon.

This also reminds me of the following statements of the Lord:

The time is coming when I will make a new covenant

a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem.

As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it and said: "If you too had only recognised on this day the way to peace!

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing! Look, your house is left to you desolate. I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"

the Kingdom of God will be taken from you and will be given to a people who will produce fruit

Ezeikel 5 does seem like an actual event to me. I interpret it as a warning, an example of what happens to people who choose wickedness over righteousness. So i better do my best to allways choose righteousness. But even in the old testament God is allways willing to forgive and have mercy on those who repent, if only they would, but then it gets to the stage where enoughs enough, time for justice.
Ezekiel goes on with more prophesies of punishment, titles like "Judgement on idolatrous Israel." "Impending disaster." "Abominations in the Temple." "The slaughter of the idolaters." "Gods glory leaves Jerusalem" "Judgement on wicked counsellors" and then "God will restore Israel."

[quote="riffer791, post:5, topic:302155"]
Ezeikel 5 does seem like an actual event to me. I interpret it as a warning, an example of what happens to people who choose wickedness over righteousness. So i better do my best to allways choose righteousness. But even in the old testament God is allways willing to forgive and have mercy on those who repent, if only they would, but then it gets to the stage where enoughs enough, time for justice.
Ezekiel goes on with more prophesies of punishment, titles like "Judgement on idolatrous Israel." "Impending disaster." "Abominations in the Temple." "The slaughter of the idolaters." "Gods glory leaves Jerusalem" "Judgement on wicked counsellors" and then "God will restore Israel."

[/quote]

First of all, you have to remember that these section titles are just added by the translator for convenience; they don't appear in the original text. On a literal level, the warning and the prophecy against Jerusalem in chapter 5 (note also that chapter-and-verse divisions are medieval inventions ;)) is fulfilled in the city's destruction by the Babylonians in 587 BC.

Theodoret of Cyrus says concerning "The clause Fire will come out of it against the whole house of Israel refers to the Babylonians' anger stirred up at that time and the ruin befalling them in Egypt. He also forecasts the rebellions occurring after the return in the time of Antiochus Epiphanes, as a result of which they encountered those countless disasters. In particular, however, he foretells the frenzy against Christ the Lord, their ruin that occurred after the crucifixion, and their dispersal throughout the whole world."

Sorry about the late reply i just started a harvest job working long hours 6days a week. iv been pretty exhausted when i get home.
Thanks guys that really clears it up for me.
It was interesting to read that those events took place in Ezekiel's time. I didnt realise he was writing about something that was to take place so soon.

"Nebuchadnezzar pillaged both the city and the Temple and deported to Babylon the new king Jeconiah who was either eight or eighteen at the time (Jehoiakim having died in the meantime)[4] and his court and other prominent citizens and craftsmen, along with a sizable portion of the Jewish population of Judah, numbering about 10,000[5]. Among them were Ezekiel. The author of the book of Daniel, while actually most likely writing/compiling in the middle of the 2nd century BCE, reports that his experiences (if they are to be understood and interpreted as historical narrative) also occur while in Babylonian exile in this period."

Although there must have been something about that event that was unlike anything that has happened since then.

Probably what never happened before or since is what is called the Captivity, where the Jews were taken into captivity into Babylon, away from their home in Israel. In Egypt, the Jews went into Egypt of their own accord and only later were made slaves.

If you read more of Ezekiel, you will note its similarity to Revelation and some of Matthew 24 - the marking of those to be spared versus the other Jews in sin, the mention of abominations, the Temple's destruction, etc.

God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.