Ezra, the son of God?

YUSUFALI: The Jews call 'Uzair a son of Allah, and the Christians call Christ the son of Allah. That is a saying from their mouth; (in this) they but imitate what the unbelievers of old used to say. Allah’s curse be on them: how they are deluded away from the Truth!
PICKTHAL: And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah. That is their saying with their mouths. They imitate the saying of those who disbelieved of old. Allah (Himself) fighteth against them. How perverse are they!
SHAKIR: And the Jews say: Uzair is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away!

My Jewish brethern, is this true? Is Ezra a son of God in Judaism? Thank you for answering my question! :slight_smile:

I thought you were banned.

According to Tim Winter (Abdal Hakim)

Finally, on Uzair as ’son of Allah’, this Uzair clearly has nothing to do with Ezra the Scribe (whose name is not Uzair in Arabic anyway). Looking at the etymology, Gordon Newby (’The Jews of Arabia’, p.60-1) has identified him with Enoch, whom Jews often assimilated to Metatron, a creator-angel who was one of the ’sons of Allah’ (b’nai elohim) in rabbinic Judaism in the period. The Qur’an is apparently taking the side of the Karaites against the Rabbinites, who had effectively divinised Enoch through identifying him with Metatron. There is not the flimsiest piece of evidence suggesting that Ezra is meant.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metatron

No, not true - just another messed up verse in the koran - mohamad had to make up false accusations against the Jews.

I think you should be banned…

I joined a Jewish forum, and asked my question there. Hopefully I’ll get some replies. :slight_smile:

Here’s the thread I made: thejewishforum.com/YaBB.pl?num=1242029369

Some Islamic commentators say Ezra is the one mentioned in (Quran 2:259).

However, maybe the Arabic Jews who were in Arabian Peninsula during Muhammed days mentioned it to Muhammed.

Why?

Because you use your time, and the server’s space, sprouting anti-semitic propaganda, dodging difficult questions, and being a regular pain in the behind when you’re losing discussions, that’s why.

But oh! I can’t say that! That’s not PC! This is just me being hostile towards you only because you’re muslim and for no other reason whatsoever - and it’s the Jews’ fault, btw…

:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.