face on the planet mars!

If they found statues on the planet mars, what would this mean for the human race, and are there any Catholic priests that believe there is alien life on other planets. And whats up with this bruno guy who said that thier was many planets with life, and got burned on the stake for it! how do i explain this to are enermys? :confused:

[quote=freesoulhope]If they found statues on the planet mars, what would this mean for the human race, and are there any Catholic priests that believe there is alien life on other planets. And whats up with this bruno guy who said that thier was many planets with life, and got burned on the stake for it! how do i explain this to are enermys? :confused:
[/quote]

Hello freesoulhope,

Have you read this?

Controversial telescope is justified if just a single alien is converted - Vatican Observatory at Mount Graham, Arizona - Editorial

National Catholic Reporter, Jan 22, 1993

Vatican Observatory officials have been reaching for the stars, even invoking the possible evangelization of extraterrestrial life, as they scramble to justify what some claim is the desecration of an ecologically unique mountain. Environmentalists and the San Carlos Apache, an American Indian tribe, have opposed the international observatory - including a Vatican Observatory telescope - now under construction atop Mount Graham in southeast Arizona.

Jesuit Father George Coyne, Vatican Observatory director, recently told London’s conservative Daily Telegraph that the Vatican had joined forces with NASA to search with the new telescope for extraterrestrial life. Coyne said that if intelligent alien life is found, the church “would be obliged to address the question of whether extraterrestrials might be brought within the fold and baptized.”

A Vatican astronomer in Tucson later denied the NASA connection but not the goal of possibly baptizing extraterrestrials.

The $8 million Vatican telescope is scheduled to go on line next spring. After a nearly 10-year battle, observatory opponents see little chance of stopping it. But the larger $60 million University of Arizona installation, the observatory’s flagship, is another matter.

quoted from:
findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1141/is_n12_v29/ai_13417541

Cool!

Go to Google Mars and type **face **in the search box.

I wouldn’t be too worried…

:stuck_out_tongue:
tee

[quote=freesoulhope]And whats up with this bruno guy who said that thier was many planets with life, and got burned on the stake for it! how do i explain this to are enermys? :confused:
[/quote]

From the Catholic Encyclopedia: Giordano Bruno.

In the spring of 1599, the trial was begun before a commission of the Roman Inquisition, and, after the accused had been granted several terms of respite in which to retract his errors, he was finally condemned (January, 1600), handed over to the secular power (8 February), and burned at the stake in the Campo dei Fiori in Rome (17 February). Bruno was not condemned for his defence of the Copernican system of astronomy, nor for his doctrine of the plurality of inhabited worlds, but for his theological errors, among which were the following: that Christ was not God but merely an unusually skilful magician, that the Holy Ghost is the soul of the world, that the Devil will be saved, etc.

wo! i didnt know that! :eek: thanks for the info! :slight_smile:

In other words, the Church does not consider aliens an issue to be addressed, because they don’t exist. If however someone encountered them, then the Church would have to address the issue.

hurst

[quote=freesoulhope]wo! i didnt know that! :eek: thanks for the info! :slight_smile:
[/quote]

You’re welcome. And it ought to be a good reminder to us all that the Church never burned anyone at the stake, and most certainly never condemned anyone for holding unusual ideas about the physical universe, but only for holding to theological errors.

[quote=tee_eff_em]Go to Google Mars and type **face **in the search box…

[/quote]

Here is an elarged detail from a satellite photo:

:wink:

Can someone say Mr. Potato Head? or the original

On the conversion of E.T., the Q/A of This Rock had an article on that:

Quick Questions on Baptizing an Alien

Also Can Aliens Be Baptized? by Sean Brooks with comments from C.S. Lewis

Phil P

Conversely, there would seem to be nothing wrong with them sharing with us what God has done on their planet

The article you quoted said the above. I had a very brief discussion about this some time back. It started with the Chronicles of Narnia, the other guy said something like "it makes sense that Jesus would incarnate as a talking lion in their world because they are all talking animals.

I wonder if the incarnation has occured on another planet. This is of course assuming life exists, if it doesn’t I suspect the World has a whole lot of time lft.

I can’t imagine God would bother creating this vast universe for nothing to go on there. I mean life is the reason for creation, so we can have the free choice to know and love God. Though I suppose He could have other reasons I don’t understand.

I wonder if other races of people have experienced the coming of the Messiah, incarnate in their form.

I wonder if it happened simultaneously with ours, or to each race in their own time.

I wonder if this further prooves that “the image of God” in which we are created is the soul and not our physical form.

I wonder this, but I guess it doesn’t so much matter since I won’t know until I meet God and He lets me know what’s up with all this - hopefully.

Just musing.

[quote=PhilVaz]Can someone say Mr. Potato Head? or the original

On the conversion of E.T., the Q/A of This Rock had an article on that:

Quick Questions on Baptizing an Alien

Also Can Aliens Be Baptized? by Sean Brooks with comments from C.S. Lewis

Phil P
[/quote]

Hrmm, looks more like Dan Akroyd in the coneheads. But that’s just me. :wink:

Peace and God Bless
Nicene

[quote=freesoulhope]If they found statues on the planet mars, what would this mean for the human race, and are there any Catholic priests that believe there is alien life on other planets. And whats up with this bruno guy who said that thier was many planets with life, and got burned on the stake for it! how do i explain this to are enermys? :confused:
[/quote]

The statues on Mars would prove that Elvis is still alive. He’s been there for decades entertaining little martians underground. See, I’m not crazy!! :whacky: :whacky: :whacky:

Hello Monkey Tape,

Scripture clearly tells us that Jesus, God’s only Son, died once never to die again.

My personal belief is that if there is free willed life on other planets then through the power of the Holy Spirit the Church is already there baptizing and teaching sinner aliens about Jesus who died for their sins on a planet named earth.

[/quote]

There are no statues on Mars. No rational person would believe that!

[quote=DreadVandal]The statues on Mars would prove that Elvis is still alive. He’s been there for decades entertaining little martians underground. See, I’m not crazy!! :whacky: :whacky: :whacky:
[/quote]

Dominae dominique: Elvis ex terra exiit!

:stuck_out_tongue:
tee

[quote=JB.]Here is an elarged detail from a satellite photo:

:wink:
[/quote]

that looks like a face to me, thats if im not mistaken! :confused:

[quote=Steven Merten]Hello Monkey Tape,

Scripture clearly tells us that Jesus, God’s only Son, died once never to die again.

My personal belief is that if there is free willed life on other planets then through the power of the Holy Spirit the Church is already there baptizing and teaching sinner aliens about Jesus who died for their sins on a planet named earth.
[/quote]

That would explain why fans of the planet earth keep comming here and crashing their spaceships! :smiley:

[quote=freesoulhope]that looks like a face to me, thats if im not mistaken! :confused:
[/quote]

I assume you are joking, just like the face!
I know from other threads you seem to believe in aliens and ufo’s but you certainly won’t find any on Mars!

[quote=freesoulhope]that looks like a face to me, thats if im not mistaken! :confused:
[/quote]

Freesoul, this image you are showing, looks like a joke to me.

Here is the link to the real “Face on Mars” with an expanded view, i.e. more recent view. msss.com/mars_images/moc/extended_may2001/face/face_E03-00824_proc.gif

This shot shows it as a clear anomaly. This isn’t unusual in geology. Take for instance the “Old Man of the Mountain”, from New Hampshire. This was a naturally occuring outcropping of rock, that looked just like the head of a man, and it’s been around on the mountain side for 25,000 years or so. It is even the state symbol of New Hampshire. Nobody ever stated that this was carved by aliens, everyone agreed it was a natural formation. Although it recently fell apart.

There have even been outcroppings in the Grand Canyon that when viewed from the correct angle look just like an angel, but when viewed from another angle, it is obviously just a hunk of rock.

Chipper.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.