Facebook criticised by Archbishop

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8180115.stm

The good Archbishop is right. :clapping:

He might be right in some aspects, but Facebook and others do and can fulfill an important role in one’s social life too. Facebook is very important to me as I move frequently and so do all of my friends. My family back in Europe can always follow up on what I am doing as can my friends overseas or in the US.
Facebook is keeping me in contact with people I knew before I joined it and through these social networks I can stay informed and in touch. I can’t boast with my little circle of about 150 friends, but I know for sure that each and every one of them has a place in my heart and that I met them at some point or another in my life and then stayed connected through Facebook.

The good Archbishop needs to learn to choose his battles.

Judging from the comments, no-one’s listening.

If anyone wants to add their comments, here is the link:
newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=6827&edition=2&ttl=20090803003837

I agree with Archbishop Nichols that electronic relationships are not a good substitute for real life relationships. On the other hand, for isolated persons such communications are a God-send. Consider, for example, CAF which enables conservative Catholics to connect with one another and draw sustenance from knowing others share your concerns and interests.

Makes me wonder, did they say the same thing about the postal service when it started?

There’s been a movement among conservatives in general and especally conservative Christians against twitter, youtube, blogger, myspace, facebook and other such sites as of late.

I heard one such rant just last night on American Family Radio (My security job has me in a truck then and it’s the only interesting thing to listen too). It seems to me there biggest grip when you read it all is the whole anyone can be a star. That is anyone can put there ideas out there for others now instead of it being something tightly controlled and regulated like it once was. This piece was accompined by at least two ads for internet filters.

MAYBE I am paranoid but it seems like everywhere I go there are conservatives berating these things and talking about how such content can be put up and there being no way to censor it like there use to be.

I wouldn’t characterize the Archbishop’s comments as a “battle.” He’s simply made an observation; one which several childhood psychiatrists have supported. Also, the BBC is listening and airing responses. I watched two commentaries on the issue on the BBC yesterday. That’s a bit more coverage than archbishops usually receive on the BBC.

I also agree with the Archbishop and with you; “electronic relationships are not a good substitute for real life relationships.” No one is saying twitter or the internet is sinful or should be avoided, but they cannot replace human contact and interaction. There should be a balance, as anyone who frequently uses this particular site well knows. A Christmas card to Mom and Dad doesn’t replace sharing a kiss and hug in front of the Christmas tree. A birthday card to a son doesn’t replace Dad’s personal warmth and greeting. Sending e-mail to a friend is not the same as sharing a walk, hearing his voice or laughing together.

I’d love to ask the Archbishop if he was ever disabled and homebound.

Did seminarians get Mom And Dad kiss and hug at the tree each year? If they did, was that the only contact or how much contact did a seminarian get over the years in the history of the catholic church?

What about monastics?

What about them? Monastics didn’t use the internet or twitter to communicate with eachother. They had personal contact with members of their community almost constantly. As for seminarians, yes, seminarians were often encouraged to return home to visit their families, especially during significant family holidays such as Christmas and New Years. Even if seminarians were unable to visit with their families, they certainly did not lack personal contact with human persons. Seminarians don’t live in a bubble anymore than you or I do. The disabled and homebound are as much in need of human contact as anyone, perhaps more so since they are less able to interact with others. Again, the Archbishop isn’t saying we should do away with the iternet or facebook or that they are sinful and useless. He is saying that these ways of communicating are incomplete and cannot replace human warmth and contact. If one does use these tools, they should not be a replacement for human contact because they are inadequate and ultimately unfulfilling.

I am talking about the history going back far longer than just the last hundred years.

That’s what I assumed. So am I. The Church has always valued human relationships. That’s why the Church has always placed so much emphasis on community.

You mean the emphasis in the older practice of public confession? Is that what you mean by emphasis on community? Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it is a fact.

You’re not harsh at all . . . but, yes, public confession of offenses against the community is part of what it means to be a member of the community. The Sacrament of Penance is performed in a private way these days, but it is still very much a public sacrament. Still, that is not the whole of what it means to be a member of a faith community, anymore than paying taxes is the sole action of a member of a local public community.

Fair enough.:slight_smile:

Thank you for being patient while I tried to work this out in my mind.

Peace,

Liz

Just like all forms of technology, Facebook has it’s positives and negatives. We use our Facebook site to communicate the truths of the Faith to people and it has been very successful. Many other Catholic groups do the same. Please check out our site at facebook.com/pages/The-Catholic-Truth/86942558870

God Bless,
Gary

Or whether he ever moved or had friends in the military who are bound to move around a lot…

It “pleasures” God when souls are humble and supple in His Hands.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.