Facebook criticised by Archbishop

I completely agree. I find Facebook (and other forms of technology) to be a great way to share my faith and evangelize with others.

that has got to be the most ridiculous statement I have ever read from anybody in the Catholic Church. Of course there are a few isolated incidents of people committing suicide but that does not mean that we all need to be punished by not having social networking sites. What is he talking about no one I know has stopped actual social interactions with friends because of facebook that is ridiculous most of my facebook friends I actually know them because I went to school with them. I have news for the Archbishop facebook did not stop my social interaction it increases it. All my friends from college lives some distance away and we all use facebook to keep our friendships strong. Not only that facebook opens up a whole new world of possibilities like being able to meet someone from Turkey and be able to help them practice their English. That’s the problem with the generational difference we have folks from older generations like the Archbishop generally do not know how to use computers or if they do they don’t use them very much and therefore they don’t understand the value of social networking sites and what a lifeline they are for younger people who are well-versed in the technology. It is clear from this statement that the Archbishop clearly does not understand what facebook is I wonder if he’s ever been on the site at all.

LOL, he’s not punishing anyone. He’s just giving some advice to teenagers. :stuck_out_tongue:

his so-called advice I interpret as don’t use facebook at all if you do then you’re not a good Catholic and if I was a teenager I wouldn’t even listen to him for one second. in fact I’m using facebook right now and not even giving his criticism a second thought.

The good archbishop didn’t say that there was no place for these electronic friendship halls… he only said that if we use them ONLY, there is a danger. Can you put yourself in the shoes of a young person, without any exposure to the social experience of meeting people, reading body language, etc. Without learning these things within the context of safe environments such as live social clubs sponsored by church groups…these young people may never learn them… and then, they are thrust out into the world to try to make real relationships… on the job, in person (marriage, etc.)… and they don’t know how to read people… they only know how to read words on paper. This is what he is talking about, people… Using Facebook is OK, but we must not REPLACE IT for other forms of social interaction… especially for our young people…they need experience interacting personally with other human beings.

Where exactly did you read that?

You just lost me there… What did you want to tell me?

As with most things in today’s world, Facebook can be used either correctly or incorrectly.

Well - my dear husband and I met online, and we were engaged and apart by 3,000 miles for nearly two years. We are still very happily married, and never would have met had it not been for this horrid technology. :rolleyes: We HAD to have an electronic relationship due to immigration, marriage prep, etc.

This is really news to me!! Some of the most outspoken conservatives out there are online in one form or another. I am personally very conservative and I have blogs, Facebook, and participate in many forums. Once the government gets their grubby hands on radio and stops anyone from speaking about conservative topics by calling it “hate speech”, there will be nowhere else to go but online. And the conservative organizations know this.

See - now this is the thing. I have to agree with His Excellency when it comes to anyone younger than their mid 20’s on this one. I think social networking is from grown ups. Period. I know all the younger folks on here are going to whine and moan about that and say they can handle it, and there’s nothing wrong with it, but I stand firm that until you are street wise and have some years behind you, (and even some folks who do) you are never going to know how to watch your back on these places. Honestly - I have younger friends on my list, and when I look at their friend lists I wonder how in the world can they manage hundreds of friends, and how can they even possibly know that many people? The adults only have people they know PERSONALLY and have hand picked to be on their list. There is a very VERY good reason for this - it is flat out stupid to open yourself up to the public like that, allowing hundreds of strangers to learn things about you that could put you in danger, or for “relationships” with them when you have no idea who they are or what their motives might be.

So - when the Archbishop talks about it being a dangerous place - he’s right. For someone who is too young or immature to know how to conduct themselves, and/or uses it as a replacement for real life. Otherwise, I think it is a wonderful thing that has put me closer in touch with far away family and friends I have not seen for many years.

Like any tool - it can kill you or feed you, depending on what direction you point it.

~Liza

You mean you’re*** not*** a teenager?:stuck_out_tongue:

I believe that the Bishop’s comments were in reaction to a young girl’s suicide after a horrible hoax had been played on her. I think that he was trying to express that we should not *rely *on Facebook, etc., *as our sole or major *source of interaction with others.

I agree. So many are taking his remarks personally as though he attacked them. They need to re-read the article…and re-think about what the man is saying.

Does anyone have the full text of his statement? Sometimes news stories can take things out of context. Well sometimes in the case of bishops quite often.

I was only a news story to begin with… what we see there is from an interview with the Sunday Telegraph…
Here is the article on the page of the Telegraph

Like it or not, I think the Archbishop is pretty spot on in this case. Yes Facebook has it’s positive aspects. Initially it was created so you could keep up with highschool friends that went to different universities, and to network within your university. But Facebook has seriously wandered away from that path, and now I do think it is having a more negative effect on people than a positive one. I know tons of people that spend more time on Facebook than they do with actual friends doing actual real things. And people dont’ really seem to know how to talk to each other anymore, which I have to believe is somewhat related to the internet becomming our primary form of communication. I think we will start to notice the profound effects of this in the coming years.

The problem is, most people don’t seem to care. I know a lot of good Catholics that are absolutely obsessed with Facebook and honestly it makes me feel sorry for them.

Ok thanks, that does put some of it in a better context than some of the other articles I have read. I think there can be problems in news articles really articulating what one is saying and what one is not saying. I do not think this is a condemnation of electronic social sites like facebook, but a condemnation on excess of their use. If your using it to get in touch with old friends it can be great. If your making large amount of new friends, and basing a large portion of your social life through this medium it can be very harmful.

That’s what I’m saying… The thing is that it can be abused (like a lot of things) and that is never productive.
I use Facebook a lot because nearly all of my friends are in some way or another affiliated with the military and my family lives on a different continent than me… I have little under 150 friends on Facebook, but I do know them all personally and I had contact with them before I found them on Facebook… I can even stay in touch with my family via Facebook because they do log on and see what I am doing. Apart from my personal friends and family I don’t have any other contacts and I think that is the main purpose of the page…
Many however do use Facebook for other reasons… Some of my folks have hundreds of friends just to invite them all for the various games they play, but that does not constitute a friendship circle as mentioned either, because they do not interact with these “friends” apart from inviting them to games.
I think it is problematic however when someone has merely virtual friends and does share sensitive information with them as well as “living” online with that circle… Those friendships are very loose and they can easily break. Few of the people that gather friends for the head count actually have a true interest in the others and because of that it can be traumatic for teenagers who only have those kind of friends.

So, I guess I wont ask the Archbishop to join my mafia in Mafia Wars on Facebook…

Anyway, like the majority of you, I guess I agree; this cannot be the sole communication, but, it really does help…I can’t talk to a lot of people at 0312 on a Thursday morning.

Also, the article and some of you have said that we don’t read faces or body languages because of this. No, but, we typically can determine who is who just by the way they type. If somebody has a specific style of typing or incorrect grammar or poor language, after a while, we can get used to it, and, if they are banned and try to come back to a place (I’m using a forum as an example), the other participants can surrmise who it might be. Those familiar with double entendres and sarcasm can possibly tell, too, if they know a person online. One thing I hate, HATE is when people use, “:P” after what they perceive to be a joke. Good golly, if it’s funny, we’ll catch on, if it’s not, “:P” is insulting, if somebody gets offended, you just gained knowledge of a piece of their psychology.

This is not offensive! :p:p

*I think he meant it completely to be a general statement…not that there is nothing good in it, but like much of our communications these days…much is done through email, texting, etc. So, he was just saying it seems that to perhaps RELY on it as a main source of forming relationships, is a bad thing. I know quite a few people, friends and family included…who EXCLUSIVELY look for people to date, through the internet. That is not good. One should never rely on facebook, match.com, myspace, etc…as a main source of communicating with friends and family, or to find a potential dating situation.

So, that’s how I read that article. I think he’s right, to an extent. Again, he wasn’t saying that facebook, etc is wrong ALWAYS, he is saying one shouldn’t cultivate friendships exclusively on there…it’s still BETTER to cultivate community life face to face, than strictly over the internet. I do think that we are losing the personal element, that human touch element, from some of these sites. I love to shop online, and I see that as being a detriment to malls, etc where LIVE people are relying on business to keep them employed.

Moderation is key. :)*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.