Facebook Envisions AI That Keeps You From Uploading Embarrassing Pics

In a move that may save folks the embarrassment and regret of posting drunken selfies, Yann LeCun at Facebook is researching face recognition technology that will tag embarrassingly candid pictures before they’re uploaded.

Fashioning such a tool is largely about building image recognition technology that can distinguish between your drunken self and your sober self, and using a red-hot form of artificial intelligence called “deep learning”—a technology bootstrapped by LeCun and other academics—Facebook has already reached a point where it can identify your face and your friends’ faces in the photos you post to its social network, letting you more easily tag them with the right names.

‘UH, THIS IS BEING POSTED PUBLICLY. ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT YOUR BOSS AND YOUR MOTHER TO SEE THIS?’

Facebook: the new big brother.

I wonder if Facebook’s new technology can also do things like:
[LIST]
*]identify your picture if someone you don’t know has uploaded it (say, for example a crazy stalker ex-girlfriend of your new boyfriend)
*]identify if you have gained weight, so they can report it to the massive health information database
*]keep track of how often you appear to be posting drunken photos, so they know if you have an alcohol problem
*]keep track of when under-21s appear to be posting drunken photos
[/LIST]

Let’s give up more privacy so a company can help stop us from being stupid, instead of just trying to learn not to be stupid.

Oh, wait, nobody asked us if we wanted that. The company is just going to do it anyway.

–Jen

Why not just not use it? I never use social media so I don’t have to worry about those things. Facebook thus doesn’t affect me.

Well, actually, I don’t. :smiley:

But just because something bad doesn’t affect me personally, doesn’t mean I should ignore its effect on society a a whole. :slight_smile:

–Jen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.