Facebook users to have 50 different gender options

MENLO PARK, CALIF. — You don’t have to be just male or female on Facebook anymore. The social media giant is adding a customizable option with about 50 different terms people can use to identify their gender as well as three preferred pronoun choices: him, her or them.

Facebook said the changes, shared with the Associated Press before the launch on Thursday, initially cover the company’s 159 million monthly users in the U.S. and are aimed at giving people more choices in how they describe themselves, such as androgynous, bi-gender, intersex, gender fluid or transsexual.

“There’s going to be a lot of people for whom this is going to mean nothing, but for the few it does impact, it means the world,” said Facebook software engineer Brielle Harrison, who worked on the project and is herself undergoing gender transformation, from male to female. On Thursday, while watchdogging the software for any problems, she said she was also changing her Facebook identity from Female to TransWoman.

freep.com/article/20140213/NEWS07/302130105/Facebook-gender-options

Here Are All the Different Genders You Can Be on Facebook

Here Are All the Different Genders You Can Be on Facebook

Just more insanity.:eek:

There are no limits to it.

I wanna be “Two Spirit” or whatever that is. That just sounds like fun!

It’s a term invented by homosexual Native American activists to try and give their movement some legitimacy.

Oh that’s right, I remember now… certain Native American tribes used to have that type of designation.

MENLO PARK, CALIF. — You don’t have to be just male or female on Facebook anymore. The social media giant is adding a customizable option with about 50 different terms people can use to identify their gender as well as three preferred pronoun choices: him, her or them.

Ummm…ok? :shrug: :whacky:

I think I might just tell everyone on Facebook to start referring to me in the plural. Just because.

So, Facebook now will give us four options when we create our profile: male, female, custom or simply not answer the question.

If someone chooses “custom,” they will be presented the very long list of choices. However, those of us who are content with the standard choices will not be confronted with all of those gender options.

I am not sure why Facebook doesn’t just let us type in whatever we want. I suppose it has to do with how they want to package information for marketing purposes. I suspect that anyone who chooses “custom” will be labelled as transgender by Facebook’s internal database, even if they choose one of the Cis* options.

I don’t know. The change doesn’t seem to affect anyone unless they want it to. It is simply a way of accommodating a portion of its users. Chances are good that anyone who chooses one of the custom options probably already uses a similar description of themselves in real life.

Surprised they didn’t include this one from Austin Powers:

“Name?”
“Austin Danger Powers”

“Sex?”
*“Yes, please!” *

This is insane!

But, why bother having fifty choices? Just simplify it:

Sex: Whatever

Another reason to not be on Facebook, as if I needed another one. Just insane.

Who cares?

If you don’t feel that a custom gender option is applicable to you, don’t use it. If you don’t want to be friends with people who do choose to, then delete anyone you see do it from your friends list. But being upset because a business is offering an option to it’s customers that you don’t even have to be faced with if you don’t want to is crazy. Why waste that kind of time being upset?

Furthermore, if you’re going to be mad every time a private business recognizes the existence of trans people, you might want to consider looking into an anger management program, because it happens a lot and it’s only going to continue.

Businesses shouldn’t encourage people in their delusions.

No one in this thread seems “mad”; they’re just expressing their opinions on the subject.

Yeah! I wanna be this one, too!

(if a couple are each “two sprits”…i wonder, then, together if they are considered “four spirits”?)

I’m going to have fun with that!:smiley:

I already made up a fake place of work and some other fake stuff, that are jokes.

And they keep annoying me for more info, apparently only “60%” of my info is filled in. :rolleyes:

At In-n-Out. they call that a Double-Double.

Straight or on the rocks?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.