Facebook

Sometimes I post my (catholic) positions on things like gay marriage or abortion or upcoming bills (recently I talked about CA SB 48) on my facebook - which I know goes against the social norms where we aren't supposed to talk about all things political , or religious POV's. But if we don't speak up in public against gay marriage and abortion and the indoctrination of our youth by an increasingly aggressive gay movement who will? I mean am I way off base here and if not then howcome I either get into facebook debates with those calling me a "gay hater" or I get utter silence - where are all the good people who could speak up - and should speak up because this stuff affects THEM and THEIR KIDS - frustrated

They are staying away from Facebook.

Sorry, I had to say it.

I feel for you friend . I belong to youtube. this forum.mightyrighty and I have a blogspot . None of them have my full name Why? I have a government position and I tend to upset the following :muslims ,homosexuals,pro abortionists ,protestants,liberals ,and atheists . With the exception of protestants, I have been threatened ,mock channels have been made of mine , young atheists have come out in groups making up lies about me (of the worst kind) .hackers have come in and messed with my codes , etc . Muslims have threatened me and always insisting I state my real name to be fair .

It seems I am in babble mode . My point is that I cannot do facebook and do what you do because I may lose that government job . You see, the minute I state my real name anywhere, I know that the people waiting in the gullies for that to happen will act and next thing you know the government employers find out . People lose jobs over facebook . I am telling you , nothing can come positive from going on facebook for some of us .

[quote="soccerdad57, post:1, topic:247977"]
Sometimes I post my (catholic) positions on things like gay marriage or abortion or upcoming bills (recently I talked about CA SB 48) on my facebook - which I know goes against the social norms where we aren't supposed to talk about all things political , or religious POV's. But if we don't speak up in public against gay marriage and abortion and the indoctrination of our youth by an increasingly aggressive gay movement who will? I mean am I way off base here and if not then howcome I either get into facebook debates with those calling me a "gay hater" or I get utter silence - where are all the good people who could speak up - and should speak up because this stuff affects THEM and THEIR KIDS - frustrated

[/quote]

Hi Soccerdad:

If I were you, I'd abandon facebook altogether. It's privacy controls are absolutely dreadful; even programmers using the company's own code have written "hacks" that let you read what others have accidentally released for the whole world to see (Openbook is an example of this). Many are giving up on Facebook, as the company continues to erode privacy rights:

tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/07/12/google-facebook-race-privacy/

latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/07/facebook-privacy-questioned-by-denmark-finland-norway-and-sweden.html

In fact, I had a look at the Google search term "delete facebook account". Try it and see. You don't even get to the end of the first word because autocomplete finds it for you (ie, the search engine is getting a LOT of searches for this).

I remember a company that everybody who was anybody had to get an account with. Myspace. I tell that to my students today, and many have never even heard of it. Fame is pretty fleeting in the online world...this year's vital app is next years abandonware/vetusware. Good luck.

Jacques

Please don’t take this the wrong way but if you don’t want people debating your position on FB, don’t put it out there. My parents are very liberal and I am conservative. My step-mother posted something about abortion once and I politely told her I was against abortion - even in rape cases. My parents could not believe I disagreed with them on a public forum. Whatever. I put them on ignore.

I am not prejudice of other life decision i.e. gay folks as long as it doesn’t harm anyone. (abortion kills, being gay doesn’t). But I don’t post or debate any of those issues ever anymore. LIke another poster, I also work for the gov’t. I don’t want to get into political debates.

The odd thing is my Dad also works for the federal gov’t in another country. He is looking for another job within the gov’t and having a really hard time finding one. I can’t help but think that his and my step-mother’s FB is one reason why he is having a hard time. His liberal posts come across as very condescending even to those who agree with him. If I didn’t know my Dad and I saw his FB posts only, I probably wouldn’t want to work wtih him .

[quote="soccerdad57, post:1, topic:247977"]

[/quote]

Hi Soccerdad (again):

I wrote that many people are giving up on Facebook, presumably for the "next big thing", whatever that is. I remember the days of Myspace/Friendster/Napster long ago, and as I was writing this I was thinking...hey, I wonder if that old computer which used these sites way back then would work today? And could it access Catholic Answers? It appears it can...LOL. So I'm posting this on a Windows 3.1 machine, hooked up to the internet with (get this...Netscape 3). It's kludgy, but I can't believe it works. So even abandonware is still useful LOL.

Jacques

P.S. There's no antivirus on this thing because viruses written in the past decade won't run a 16-bit machine.

The next big thing is Google+

I pretty much use my facebook account to evangelize. Many of my friends and acquaintances who 'friend request" me but then never even say hello (that drives me crazy!!) are fallen away catholics or of other faiths. I feel it is an opportunity to spread the gospel, I don't so much post politial things (sometime i do and I hear nothing but crickets) but quotes from the saints or other articles that can be "shared". I often think about Our Lady of Fatima's quote "many souls go to hell because they have no one to pray for them...". So many don't know the faith or what the church really teaches.

I would pray to the Holy Spirit and ask Him what you should share and He will lead you to things, quotes, etc. If I didn't evangelize, then I'd probably close my account.

I rarely post religious items on my facebook. The rare times I have, a few of those on my friends do not like them but I remind them it is my page and I respect what they post even if it something I do not agree with for any reason.

[quote="Lucky_Scrunchy, post:8, topic:247977"]
I pretty much use my facebook account to evangelize. Many of my friends and acquaintances who 'friend request" me but then never even say hello (that drives me crazy!!) are fallen away catholics or of other faiths. I feel it is an opportunity to spread the gospel, I don't so much post politial things (sometime i do and I hear nothing but crickets) but quotes from the saints or other articles that can be "shared". I often think about Our Lady of Fatima's quote "many souls go to hell because they have no one to pray for them...". So many don't know the faith or what the church really teaches.

I would pray to the Holy Spirit and ask Him what you should share and He will lead you to things, quotes, etc. If I didn't evangelize, then I'd probably close my account./QUOTE]

Thank you for responding to me - I will ask the Holy Spirit for what to share - I thought that was a good suggestion - I want to spread the Truth but at times feel so alone - I guess our Lord never said following Him was gonna make you popular - I know what to do to have all these people like me - you don't rock the boat - don't speak out against evil- post a lot of pictures and make a lot of small talk about them and never take a stand on anything (unless everyone else agrees with you first) - but what am I trying to inherit? - a large group of friends and a lot of comfortable living here on earth?? - Jesus said he who would save his life would lose it but he who would lose his life for me would save it Mt 16 - right?
anyways - I am grateful for the support I get here - wow this Catholic thing is really underground - not exactly roman persecution but there does seem to be a growing persecution of sorts against all things Christian - until I need you all again - peace

[/quote]

I had another thought as I read your latest post. I once had a friend “private message” me on facebook showing her support for some religious/political posting I has shared. On further reflection I gathered that she was too afraid to affirm what I said in public lest she be scorned. that might be the case with you as well. People want to be liked, they don’t want to rock the boat. Our concerns with human respect is a great sin of our time, and unfortunately, i fall prey to that often. (I saw a guy eating a banana in the store last night and I’m sure he wasn’t going to pay for it) I should have confronted him but didn’t want to make a scene. I was a gutless wonder. Its easy to post stuff on my facebook but doing it in the real world, now that takes courage. I hope and pray that someday I can do the right thiing in public and to hell with human respect.

I did at least tell the manager of the store about the banana guy.:shrug:

[quote="Lucky_Scrunchy, post:11, topic:247977"]
I had another thought as I read your latest post. I once had a friend "private message" me on facebook showing her support for some religious/political posting I has shared. On further reflection I gathered that she was too afraid to affirm what I said in public lest she be scorned. that might be the case with you as well. People want to be liked, they don't want to rock the boat. Our concerns with human respect is a great sin of our time, and unfortunately, i fall prey to that often. (I saw a guy eating a banana in the store last night and I'm sure he wasn't going to pay for it) I should have confronted him but didn't want to make a scene. I was a gutless wonder. Its easy to post stuff on my facebook but doing it in the real world, now that takes courage. I hope and pray that someday I can do the right thiing in public and to hell with human respect.

I did at least tell the manager of the store about the banana guy.:shrug:

[/quote]

You know i loved your honesty in your reply - I too struggle at times to say something or do something that might make me look a little - well you know. Anyways the remark about human respect being the great sin of our time in the context in which you said it is well received - I have been told I am too judgemental - which is probably true at times though something I have worked and prayed on - but I suspect much of the criticism comes from a lack of understanding of what Christ spoke against on the sermon of the mount and I think too many have twisted it to a meaning in which we don't gently correct people - we hold their view of us in such high esteem that we are willing to choose their relationship with us over our Lord's relationship - even if just for that moment - just today I heard my neighbor while talking to me say "oh God" - not in a prayerful and respectful way either - I should've said something and didn't - did that make me complicit? - to some degree my conscience says it did. Anyways - I gotta go - seem to be gathering an audience around this computer - but I will keep speaking out on face book and hopefully more often in everyday life too - God Bless

you know its funny that you shared that because just today I rec’d my Holy Face Devotion packet and literature, a chaplet of the holy Face and a Holy Face Cross. When you hear the Lord’s name used in vain or blasphemy, you say “Blessed be the name of God” and then “begone satan”

Google Devotion to the Holy Face and you will get a plethera of information on how to repair for blasphemy and other things; there are also great promises attached to those who pray and repair these sins.

The site where I rec’d these items are: www.holyfacedevotion.com

Have a blessed night!!!:harp:

Because most of society is accepting of homosexuality or just doesn’t care(ie: tolerates homosexuals). You hold a minority opinion, don’t expect people to just agree with you just because the church tells you they should.

I post what I want on my page. If someone has a problem with it, they can unfriend me.

I post political and religious material on my FB page often. I have a wide range of friends from every political and religious realm and often generate excellent discussions. It turns some people off but if they don’t like it they can un-friend me.

As I have a number of homosexual friends I personally try to make sure when I do post something for traditional marriage it’s something positive and not just a gay bashing article… there are ways to nudge people. When positing something think, what would Jesus want us to do? Is it going to help or hurt the situation? Of course I believe that the State should have nothing to do with marriage, that should be left up to the Church or Religion of one’s choosing. The state should be more concerned with distribution of property etc… The state can’t produce a Sacramental marriage nor can they dissolve it, I personally don’t see how giving 2 people who want to live together death benefits or health insurance option (many companies already do this) makes any difference to what I consider “marriage” - A Sacramental union between a man and a women.

I think the state should have gotten out of the marriage business a long time ago and stuck to matters of state… I guess I just think things work better with a separation of the Sacred and the Profane.

Joe

I don’t think it’s a good idea to post political or personal information on FB. I use it for fun and to keep in contact with friends and family especially those out of state. When I want to discuss political or personal issues I just prefer to do so in person. Things posted in the heat of debate can come back to bite your after the waters have cooled. Also privacy is getting harder to come by these days so I’m careful in general with what personal information I share such as my relationship status which I don’t post on FB. I don’t think in general people want to hear all my gripes anymore then I really want to hear there’s anyway. It’s also a good rule never to post what you wouldn’t want your mother or family to see. I’ve never said anything here for example that I wouldn’t say to my family.

I have to agree with most of this post. Why should you expect everyone to step up and agree with you, perhaps they don’t like getting involved with this stuff on facebook? Instead of interpreting it as ‘fear of rejection’ or being worried about how they will appear, understand that some people just want to avoid controversy altogether, especially on something as public as facebook.

[quote="themeginthemoon, post:18, topic:247977"]
I have to agree with most of this post. Why should you expect everyone to step up and agree with you, perhaps they don't like getting involved with this stuff on facebook? Instead of interpreting it as 'fear of rejection' or being worried about how they will appear, understand that some people just want to avoid controversy altogether, especially on something as public as facebook.

[/quote]

I second this train of thought. Facebook, for me, is about connecting with my family and friends that I don't see on a day to day basis. Or to be connected to community and school events. Its not about debating social and political hot topics. If I wanted to do that, I'd join a forum or group specifically for that purpose. My friends list or privacy setting would also look much different if I wanted to engage in more of that type of discussions. My friend list on Facebook is very small in comparison to others, on purpose.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.