Failed prophesy?

1 Cor 15:51. Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed – 52. in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead(will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54. So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”

Here Paul is talking to the Corinthians, he states “We shall not all sleep”. Because he says “we” meaning himself and the Corinthians he is claiming the resurrection will come some time before they die.

Is this a failed prophesy on Paul’s part?

Can someone please explain this passage to me

Well, he’s speaking about himself and the Corinthians, certainly, but why not also all Christians? Do we not all look foward to the resurrection of the body? People who died in Paul’s time will be resurrected just the same as those who die now.

I am not claiming to explain, but my Bible says this:

51 Behold, I tell you a mystery. We shall all indeed rise again: but we shall not all be changed. 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall rise again incorruptible: and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption; and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 And when this mortal hath put on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: Death is swallowed up in victory.

Thus, it seems he is saying that all will be resurrected, but not all will be changed for eternal life. He and those he speaks to can hope for being changed after resurrection to share in glory, but the others, though also resurrected, will not be in glory.

hurst

[quote=hurst]I am not claiming to explain, but my Bible says this:

51 Behold, I tell you a mystery. We shall all indeed rise again: but we shall not all be changed. 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall rise again incorruptible: and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption; and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 And when this mortal hath put on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: Death is swallowed up in victory.

Thus, it seems he is saying that all will be resurrected, but not all will be changed for eternal life. He and those he speaks to can hope for being changed after resurrection to share in glory, but the others, though also resurrected, will not be in glory.

hurst
[/quote]

NAB says “we shall not all sleep”.
Douay-Rheims says " we shall all indeed rise again".
Both Catholic Bibles.

My Jerusalem bible has

“We are not all going to die”

If you read the quote in context you can see that Paul is referring to death as being the end. He speaks about Jesus as being the second Adam and becoming a life giving spirit. He is referring here therefore of death being an end, and thus means “We will not cease to exist at death”.

His prophecy was not really a prophecy of that time, but merely speaks about life after death, now a firm tenet of the faith.

Remember, this was at a time when people were not aware of what labouring for the Kingdom was for.

The disciples themselves didnt understand until Jesus told them. So Paul is explaining that we dont just work till death for Christ and then cease to exist. Oh no, Jesus will reward each to what he has done.

Hope this clears it up.

:thumbsup:

a lot of the diciples thought that the Lord would return soon, and
that at least one would still be alive upon his return…

John 21:
21 When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, "Lord, what about him?"
22 Jesus said to him, "What if I want him to remain until I come?
What concern is it of yours? You follow me."
23 So the word spread among the brothers that that disciple would
not die. But Jesus had not told him that he would not die, just
"What if I want him to remain until I come? (What concern is it
of yours?)"
24 It is this disciple who testifies to these things and has written
them, and we know that his testimony is true.

this caused some to become weak in the faith…

:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.