Failure to rebuke someone/profess faith

Hi,

I once had a work experience at a supermarket. I was working with someone who talked about how he was drunk once while skiing and how he went to hang out with some girls in their accommodation and partied or something like that once, when he had vacation at a ski resort. He also encouraged me to work out at a gym, since girls like that, or something like that.

Did I sin because I didn’t rebuke him or tell him that as a Christian I don’t get drunk, or have sexual relations with girls without marriage or similar? I thought of doing this, it would be an opportunity to indirectly point him to repentance. However I failed to do this, because I thought how my relation with him as my coworker would be affected, or how my work experience would be affected, or how my chances to get a summer job there this summer.

Hi! Welcome to the forums! :slight_smile:

It’s very awkward dealing with things like that in the workplace. I totally understand your initial hesitation.

I don’t think it’s our place to rebuke people and (by our thinking - I’m pretty sure that approach doesn’t work) lead them to repentance. However, I think it’s important that we honour our Faith by standing up for it. Saying something like, “thanks for the suggestion, but as a Christian that would violate the tenets of my Faith”. This should be said in a friendly and open manner, neither defensive/apologetic nor belligerent.

I think it’s more important that our joy in Christ shows in the way we live and thus has a greater chance of leading people to Jesus.

As to your question, I’m not a theologian but I’m pretty sure that wasn’t a sin.

His behavior is really none of your concern. Just avoid him if you don’t want to hear that stuff!

I agree that the person’s behaviour is none of the OP’s concern, however, we are not always in a position of being able to avoid co-workers (who will say all manner of things). And it’s helpful to have a prepared response so that we are not feeling caught off guard and lacking confidence.

Agreed. Say it with a smile and remember, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

This. ^^^^No one likes to be “preached to” or feel like another person is self-righteous or has a “holier-than-thou” attitude. But if you have a reputation for being genuinely kind, courteous, helpful, friendly and without doing/saying sinful things, it makes you a truly attractive person. Then when these conversations come up that are harder, you have a type of credit built up. It’s more meaningful and less offensive for you to say that you are celibate while praying for your future wife (or whatever) or that you don’t mind going for a beer with your barbecue but any more than that and you’d risk drunkenness, and that’s not for you (etc).

It’s called friendship evangelism for a reason. That trite phrase about “people don’t care how much you know til they know how much you care” is true.

Be at home in your relationship with God. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you. And He will.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.