faith and grace

Do people only obtain faith as a virtue from saving grace? In other words when you are in sin do you not have faith, hope, and charity? Until penance?

When you commit a mortal sin you only lose the supernatural virtue of charity, unless you were to mortally sin directly against the supernatural virtues of faith or hope. If you sin directly against the virtues of faith or hope, then you lose it altogether and only get it back after a valid confession or after an act of perfect contrition with confession to follow ASAP. God bless you.

How would you sin against faith and hope? In order to avoid it.

If you were to obstinately refuse to believe an infallible teaching of the Church, then you would sin directly against the virtue of faith and would lose the supernatural virtue of faith within your soul, you would be in mortal sin. If you were to despair or to be presumptuous then you’d sin directly against the virtue of hope and you would lose the supernatural virtue of hope that was in your soul, you’d be in mortal sin. You’d lose the supernatural virtue of charity with the loss of either of these two virtues. But if you were to sin against charity alone, then you would not lose the virtues of faith and hope in your soul.

God bless you.

EDIT:

If you were to sin directly against the virtue of hope, then the virtue of faith would still remain intact within your soul, but you would lose the virtue of charity within your soul and would be in a state of mortal sin. If you sinned directly against the virtue of faith, you’d lose all three of the theological virtues, faith, hope and charity. God bless you.

So is everything a sin a sin against charity? Despair? I have depression problems that I need medications for. Is that despair?

There’s where I get hung up. I am open minded and seek many things for reasons. But as a Catholic I have a responsibility to follow the Pope and do what a Catholic has to do. What all that entails I am not sure. Mariology which I believe in is optional I know. Some things the Pope says is optional political things I guess and scientific things. But when is something declared infallible which is an epistemic term I believe.

Being depressed is not despair. A person who despairs gives up on God’s help. He no longer relies on God’s almighty power and infinite mercy and promises, he stops hoping to obtain the pardon of his sins, the help of God’s grace, and life everlasting. Depressed people can sin and fall into despair, but depression is not a sin against hope like despair is: it is a sickness that needs the care of a learned and holy priest, and the care of a wise doctor if necessary. God bless you.

All teaching on faith and morals universally taught by the Universal Ordinary Magisterium is infallible. Solemn definitions by the Solemn and Extraordinary Magisterium are not the only infallible teachings of the Church. God bless you.

I’ll have to get back in touch with you. I only know that every mortal sin removes charity and sanctifying grace from the soul. I would think that in that case that every sin is an offense against charity, the love/charity we owe to God. God bless you.

So is the theological faith the faith Jesus talked about that could “move mountains” whatever he meant exactly about that. The faith he wa talking about when he said “Faith as a grain of mustard seed…”

With the theological virtue of faith alive in your soul and with 100% confidence in God and a very holy life you can move mountains. A Saint has actually moved a mountain through his faith in God. I wish I knew his name; his name is mentioned in Spirago-Clarke’s Catechism Explained (1921). God bless you.

The theological virtue of faith is a free gift of God/ a grace that is infused in our souls at Baptism. Once we have reached the age of reason the theological virtue of faith must be accompanied by our assent to believe, that is, we must CHOOSE to believe all that God has revealed to us through His Church. A confident faith in God is required for us to move mountains: we must have the gift of faith infused within us AND we must choose to believe in God and all His teachings revealed to His Church with 100% confidence in Him, if we wish to be able to move mountains. God bless you.

I’m sorry but I have not yet been able to find a definite answer to your question about whether every mortal sin is a sin against charity. But I think I remember reading in my old traditional book which explains the Catholic catechism that whenever we mortally sin it is a sin against charity – the charity/love that is owed to God. I truly believe that every mortal sin is a sin against charity. Besides, how could we lose this supernatural virtue with every mortal sin, if we weren’t sinning against it. God bless you.

Depression and despair are two different things. Also, depression is not a sin while despair is a sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.