Faith and Insurance

How can we say we have 100% faith in God to care for us and have health insurance?
How can I believe God will provide and get insurance? I had a friend ask me this and I was somewhat at a loss for words because I was caught off guard. I don’t see insurance as a contridiction, but she wants some straight answers. Thought I’d check with you guys.

To have faith that God will care for us does not mean to have faith that nothing wrong will happen, but that nothing will occur that is beyond your strength. I know, the Bible tends to say a lot of amazing things when it talks about faith in God, but I don’t think that it means he will rain the good life down on us whenever we want or need it. Hmm, God will provide for his beloved. He gives the sparrow a home, so why would he let one he loves go without? In the end it goes to the question of why do bad things happen to good people… I think this would be a nice thread in apologetics, but until then I have to provide a link that might be of a questionable nature, but it addresses your concern. willandlegacy.com/2007/02/23/insurance-or-faith-in-god/

Yes, God provides, but often through ordinary means.

He provides food through the work of farmers and those who distribute the food.

He provides healing through doctors and nurses.

He provides those doctors and nurses the means to provide for their families by means of the salaries and medical fees they receive. These salaries and fees are paid to a great extent by our insurance premiums.

By not having health insurance (assuming your friend is able to purchase it), they would not be contributing their just share to the costs we all incur.

Now, whether insurance companies accomplish this in an efficient and just manner, that is another question which I cannot begin to answer here.

God also helps those who help themselves.

This joke demonstrates that:

*Sam was in dire trouble. His business had gone bust and he was in serious financial trouble. He was so desperate he decided to pray for help. *

*He began, ‘God, please help me. I’ve lost my business and if I don’t get some money, I’m going to lose my house as well. Please let me win the lottery.’ Lottery night came and Sam didn’t win. *
*Again Sam prays, ‘God, please let me win the lottery! I’ve lost my business, my house and I’m going to lose my car as well.’ Lotto night comes and Sam still has no luck. *
*Once again, he prays, ‘My God, why have you forsaken me?? I’ve lost my business, my house, and my car. My wife and children are starving. I don’t often ask you for help and I have always been a good servant to you. PLEASE just let me win the lottery this one time so I can get my life back in order.’ *Suddenly there is a blinding flash of light as the heavens open. Sam is confronted by the voice of God Himself: ‘Sam,’ says God, ‘meet Me halfway on this. Buy a bloody ticket.’

Buying health insurance is like meeting God halfway!

Our Lord said to be as innocent as doves AND as cunning as serpents. Insurance comes under the ‘cunning’ part, I guess :slight_smile:

To be perfectly frank, judging from the horror stories I’ve heard about people who’ve been screwed over by their health insurance companies, I would think having insurance would require more faith in God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.