Faith comes from Tradition, not scripture

The Church teaches, 875. “How are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without a preacher? And how can men preach unless they are sent?” No one - no individual and no community - can proclaim the Gospel to himself: “Faith comes from what is heard.”

The bible agrees, of course, since it also comes from God.

“Thus faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the word of Christ.”
(Rom 10:17)

Now since Christ did not write, but only taught, then His Gospel that He taught is entirly in Tradition and handed down in Tradition and since Jesus said He and the Holy Spirit taught the apostles everything, then the apostles learned the Gospel entirely through Tradition. Thus, their faith comes from Tradition, not scripture.
And the apostles taught this Gospel to others, and they believed through hearing, then Faith comes from Tradition.

No where in the bible does it say that faith comes from scripture.

Since theology is faith seeking understanding, then theology comes from Tradition, though theologians are supposed to show how the teachings of theology are also found in scripture.

Since what is heard is the Gospel the apostles taught, and since this Gospel they taught is the Catholic faith, then faith comes from the hearing what the Church teaches.

Faith does not come from scripture.

Once we have the faith through believing what the Church teaches, then we can find parts of these teachings in scripture. Scripture is a witness to the teachings, because “certain elements” of the Gospel the apostles taught were also written later on in scripture. Thus scripture can illuminate our faith and nourish our faith.

Does everyone agree?

:thumbsup:

The apostles were commissioned to preach, not to write. They did that of their own authority.

I agree. :thumbsup: It’s pretty well articulated. You seem to cover all the possible (loop)holes of an opposing argument. Got my vote!

Interesting point. :slight_smile:

I agree.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.