Faith Formation

So starting september I'm going to be teaching 1st grade religious ed, helping out with 8th grade youth ministry, and running a small group for Confirmation 2 classes! We just had our first meeting today for everything and I recieved a binder for my future first grade class with lesson plans and everything and I'm very excited. Anyone else out there teaching religious ed or have past experiences they'd like to share?

I'm also teaching year one this year. I have worked with the preschool level, as well as grades 3 and 5. Each age is different I'm starting to notice, and approaches religion in a different way.

The primary level was so cute! One girl told me she wished Jesus in person were at our class so she could give Him a big hug! One problem was that I had kids as young as 3 and as old as 5 so when it came time for a faith related craft or story...some could read,some couldn't even sit still to listen...some could use scissors and glue well, others hadn't ever held them. Coloring is always a BIG hit with them, and it will be for your guys too. Try to find some faith centric color pages for before and after lesson.

Anyway the daycamp I worked at this summer had this age, so I decided to go back to it this year after two years with the older kids. I'm in teacher's school anyway so I'll have a practicum in a Jr/Sr high school, so I'll work with older kids there.

Good luck with yours!
CotL

Welcome to the big leagues Ryan! I hope and pray you get as much out of this as the kids.

I am 44 and have been a catechist for over 20 years. I would not trade these experiences for anything. The further I allowed myself to be drawn into this wonderful ministry the better things became.

For starters, remember the Devil would rather you not do this. He may try to stop you.

With that said, you are beginning a wonderful journey. Give it as much as you can. Try not to show up for class without having looked at your material because it will not be as fun or fruitful as it should be. As you teach, have discussions. You may end up with a very smart kid or two that will amaze you. More than likely you will end up with some kids that have never been catechized. Keep in mind that as you catechize the kids you have a chance to catechize the parents as well. Beyond the assigned material, try to push the Mass. With the little guys, just mention it. With the older kids you may have to push a little harder.

If you are able, try not to be an authoritarian. Let them see through you that the Church is a fun and loving and mysterious place.

Good luck and God bless!

Oh… Be careful because if you really enjoy it and people notice it they may ask you to work for the church. I am beginning my 8th year on staff in our FF office.

[quote="RyanK, post:1, topic:254460"]
So starting september I'm going to be teaching 1st grade religious ed, helping out with 8th grade youth ministry, and running a small group for Confirmation 2 classes! We just had our first meeting today for everything and I recieved a binder for my future first grade class with lesson plans and everything and I'm very excited. Anyone else out there teaching religious ed or have past experiences they'd like to share?

[/quote]

God bless you, the Holy Spirit called and you responded.
In your enthusiasm, don't burn out by taking on more than your schedule can handle. Make sure you are not neglecting family, work or school responsibilities. I strongly urge catechists to help at only one session although some do double up and we really need them there, but make sure they have help.

advice
prepare
pray
prepare
pray
prepare
pray

preparation is the key to success
prayer comes first, last and always
if you don't have time to prepare, pray

[quote="ChildOfTheLight, post:2, topic:254460"]
I'm also teaching year one this year. I have worked with the preschool level, as well as grades 3 and 5. Each age is different I'm starting to notice, and approaches religion in a different way.

The primary level was so cute! One girl told me she wished Jesus in person were at our class so she could give Him a big hug! One problem was that I had kids as young as 3 and as old as 5 so when it came time for a faith related craft or story...some could read,some couldn't even sit still to listen...some could use scissors and glue well, others hadn't ever held them. Coloring is always a BIG hit with them, and it will be for your guys too. Try to find some faith centric color pages for before and after lesson.

Anyway the daycamp I worked at this summer had this age, so I decided to go back to it this year after two years with the older kids. I'm in teacher's school anyway so I'll have a practicum in a Jr/Sr high school, so I'll work with older kids there.

Good luck with yours!
CotL

[/quote]

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing and thank you! =]

[quote="dconklin, post:3, topic:254460"]
Welcome to the big leagues Ryan! I hope and pray you get as much out of this as the kids.

I am 44 and have been a catechist for over 20 years. I would not trade these experiences for anything. The further I allowed myself to be drawn into this wonderful ministry the better things became.

For starters, remember the Devil would rather you not do this. He may try to stop you.

With that said, you are beginning a wonderful journey. Give it as much as you can. Try not to show up for class without having looked at your material because it will not be as fun or fruitful as it should be. As you teach, have discussions. You may end up with a very smart kid or two that will amaze you. More than likely you will end up with some kids that have never been catechized. Keep in mind that as you catechize the kids you have a chance to catechize the parents as well. Beyond the assigned material, try to push the Mass. With the little guys, just mention it. With the older kids you may have to push a little harder.

If you are able, try not to be an authoritarian. Let them see through you that the Church is a fun and loving and mysterious place.

Good luck and God bless!

[/quote]

Yeah, luckily I'm working with another teacher so there will be plenty of preparation! Also, in regards to the authoritarian thing, the best story I've heard about teaching was one of this lady who turned all of these kids' lives around and when they asked her how, she said "I simply loved each and every one of them." So that's my plan! =]

[quote="puzzleannie, post:5, topic:254460"]
God bless you, the Holy Spirit called and you responded.
In your enthusiasm, don't burn out by taking on more than your schedule can handle. Make sure you are not neglecting family, work or school responsibilities. I strongly urge catechists to help at only one session although some do double up and we really need them there, but make sure they have help.

advice
prepare
pray
prepare
pray
prepare
pray

preparation is the key to success
prayer comes first, last and always
if you don't have time to prepare, pray

[/quote]

Yeah, I understand what you're saying but I'm graduated from school, my parents don't want me hanging around all of the time, and I have yet to find a job. Plus in each program I have others who are going to be helping me out so I shouldn't have too much trouble. And yes, prayer has been my biggest help with everything, I've been praying extra rosaries so that I'll have the strength to do all of this. Thank you very much for the advice! =]

I taught first grade religious ed many years ago, it was so much fun and my kids had a good time too. I loved it, and now I can’t remember why I stopped teaching. I’d love to do it again some day, but my parish only has like 6 kids in it, and we already have 2 teachers! :slight_smile: Enjoy, you are doing a wonderful thing by helping form these children’s lives.

Thank you and I hope someday that you are given the opportunity to teach again! =]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.