Faith In A Hospital

Would you remove life support from your loved one if they were in a coma or related state?

Two words…Living Will…

Problem solved

Sorry BlueMaxx, but though I appreciate the simplicity of your answer :two_hearts:, I don’t follow :sob::sob:

Do you mean that if the patient is in a coma-like state, they are basically already dead, and that it is the will of God for their life not to be prolonged any longer?

I have discussed these things with my family and close friends. They know my wishes, I know theirs.

This is very helpful, they also have someone you can call:

https://www.ncbcenter.org/publications/end-life-guide/

Hubby’s family has. It was decided among the MANY Children but was not done until ALL of the children had the opportunity to arrive and be there with their family member. We were all around the bedside and toward the end the machine was doing 100% of the breathing not the family member.

If the situation for myself is like this or becomes like this I’ve told them I want to be put on the respirator, let the Priest give me Last Rites and the Apostolic Pardon, tell me your Goodbyes, let me go and if it’s God’s will I’ll go to be with Him.

And I’d like to add emphasis on the fact that the life support would be PROLONGING DEATH not the loved ones life (ie. you knew the patient was 90% going to pass a day after support would be removed)

How would your decision change if you knew this was the case?

Or would that be MURDER?!?

It’s impossible to give a succinct Catholic answer to hypothetical situations that are vague and ambiguous.

First, you have to define what “life support” is, and then also define the prognosis for their medical condition.

I mean that the best case scenario for all of us is to be proactive and create a living will detailing your wishes on just how much you want done to be kept “alive” so as to avoid having the decision fall to an unfortunate loved one…that was all!

:slightly_smiling_face:

Define “life support.”

We did with my grandfather last year because his organs were failing & he was also a lifelong smoker… impossible to get him on the transplant list.

It would depend on why they were in a coma or related state. What medical condition or event brought it about?

Some comas are induced by medical people so the patient can recover from something like swelling of the brain. It would be wrong to take such a person off life support.

Another person might have had tremendous brain injuries meaning that a return to conscious living was impossible, and the only thing keeping him alive is the respirator. This person could be taken off the respirator.

And most cases are in between those two extremes.

The Church teaches that basic care is required. What constitutes basic care varies according to the patient. And the Church teaches that extraordinary care can be refused if the burden is or becomes too high. Again, the definition of extraordinary care changes according to the condition of the patient.

Wow - that makes sense, and is definitely an easy way to avoid future turmoil! Thanks s bunch :latin_cross::+1::rofl:

Like a machine that essentially “breathed” for the patient

So if the going is tough we give up?

Thanks Axsenex, for the personal insight :+1::heart:

Just another question to clarify…

So it is OK then to “accelerate” their natural death in a case where, as you mentioned, organs are already failing and the loved one would anyways (without the life support) pass any second?

I’ve done it once, and I’d do it again if it ever comes to it.

The decision came down to me for my own father, and knowing what he wanted and what I knew to be medically accurate, I said it should be done. The four kids and my mom all agreed. So we let him go.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.