Faith in stressful times

I was shaken by a life changing problem. The outcome is not determined. I returned to my Catholic faith when this problem arose in my life. The problem has been a blessing in that I led a very sinful life previously. The Rosary really does shut down vice. The question that I have “Is planning for all of the outcomes a sign that I don’t have enough faith?” I am asking that God relieve this burden with no further damage. However, it could be that I must go through more. I am certain my prayers are being heard. I just get scared sometimes. I want to trust God and let go of my fears.

[quote=micatholic]I was shaken by a life changing problem. The outcome is not determined. I returned to my Catholic faith when this problem arose in my life. The problem has been a blessing in that I led a very sinful life previously. The Rosary really does shut down vice. The question that I have “Is planning for all of the outcomes a sign that I don’t have enough faith?” I am asking that God relieve this burden with no further damage. However, it could be that I must go through more. I am certain my prayers are being heard. I just get scared sometimes. I want to trust God and let go of my fears.
[/quote]

It is only natural for us to want to avoid the pain of paying for the consequences of our sins and mistakes. Praying for relief is also quite natural. However, you yourself realize that sometimes we just have to take what is coming to us and lean on God while we go through it. Doing that builds character and teaches us to not be so dumb as to do it again! At least, that’s been my experience of paying for my sins and stupid mistakes.

no…

planning for the outcome is no different than
working to provide for your family after praying
"give us this day our daily bread"…

free will also means we have responsibilities…

:slight_smile:

[quote=micatholic]I was shaken by a life changing problem. The outcome is not determined. I returned to my Catholic faith when this problem arose in my life. The problem has been a blessing in that I led a very sinful life previously. The Rosary really does shut down vice. The question that I have “Is planning for all of the outcomes a sign that I don’t have enough faith?” I am asking that God relieve this burden with no further damage. However, it could be that I must go through more. I am certain my prayers are being heard. I just get scared sometimes. I want to trust God and let go of my fears.
[/quote]

You can trust God and know that he is answering your prayers, it may not be the answer you want but it is the answer you need. Sometimes that involves walking through the valley. Know that if he is leading you, he is right beside you.(((((((((hugs)))))))))and peace.

[quote=micatholic]I was shaken by a life changing problem. The outcome is not determined. I returned to my Catholic faith when this problem arose in my life. The problem has been a blessing in that I led a very sinful life previously. QUOTE]
I think you have discovered a truth that some of us have forgotten or never knew: If your faith cannot withstand stress and challenges, maybe you never really had faith to begin with. A faith that stands only in the good times has as little value as a love that stands firm only in the good times.
[/quote]

Remember, also, to offer all your cares, anxieties, frustrations and sufferings to Jesus. He will transform them into graces for you and for others. I’ve found this prayer to be very helpful:

O my Lord Jesus Christ,
I lift up my heart to You in my suffering
and ask for Your comforting help.
I know that You would withhold the thorns
of this life if I could attain eternal life without them.
And so I commend myself to Your loving mercy,
accepting this suffering in Your Name.
Grant me the grace to bear it and to offer it
in union with Your sufferings.
Regardless of the suffering that may come my way,
let me trust You always, for You are my Lord,
my God and my All. Amen.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.