Faith leaders reframe climate change as moral issue

at dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2017/01/13/faith-leaders-reframe-climate-change-as-moral-issue.html

"Priests, pastors and ministers nationwide are spreading the gospel of climate change — as are imams and rabbis.

In recent years, faith-based advocacy has emerged as a powerful tool in the environmental movement. By reframing climate change and sustainability as moral issues, religious leaders hope to advance environmentalism by elevating it above the political fray…"

Gaia worship is not new. Guess everything old is new again.

I look at it this way – God created creation (the environment) first, then he placed man in the Garden of Eden to tend & keep it. Why, bec we need healthy air to breathe, water to drink, food to eat, etc. Also God saw that it was good.

When we destroy it, we harm life, including human life.

But God made it clear in the 10 Commandments that we shall not kill.

It’s all pretty basic within Christianity & many other mainstream religions.

BTW, scientists & environmentalists don’t think Gaia is angry & is causing CC, & worshiping her will make it stop. :slight_smile:

However, I do think anti-environmentalists may be relying on God to provide manna once we’ve destroyed our food productivity. If so, that might border on a sin of presumption. Even Jesus refused to turn the stone into bread.

Not only does it destroy what He has already created, it interferes with His ongoing act of creation. God never stopped creating. Unless we think we can help God with creation by destroying it, I can’t see how it’s not a moral issue.

Churches exist to provide a place to worship. As mainline denominations reject Christ, it’s not surprising that they’d have to find something else to embrace.

They also exist as places to propagate moral teachings. If you would like to understand the importance of that in Christianity, have a look at the gospel of the last judgment. Matthew 25:31-46.

Of course it is a moral issue. The Church has taught this for years, and Pope Francis speaks on it frequently.

Aren’t we supposed to worship God in all that we do, not just while we are in church? I believe that many of our clergy belong to orders that teach this?

That’s a good summary of what I think we as Catholics—regardless of political persuasions—can agree on.

My one caveat would be that the Catechism places care of creation under the 7th Commandment (“Thou shall not steal”) rather than the 5th. :slight_smile:

Clean air, clean water. These types of things should not be hard for people to agree on. Where the conflict comes in is regarding what the best policies are in order to balance care for the earth and care of persons.

Of course, I think there’s also plenty of demonizing the other side. I don’t think most conservatives want to go “scorched earth” anymore than most liberals want to offer worship to the earth. Sure, there are those people on the extremes of either side, but I don’t think that’s where most people are at.

That is also an important issue, harming one’s property & food crops (or availability of food & healthy water & air) as stealing.

However, there are many env problems that result in people dying, including climate change & its many knock-on effects, so it’s a no-brainer for me that the 5th most certainly does come into play. I just don’t like contributing to people’s harm and death. It has always been a moral issue for me.

Sure. It can certainly fall under both. I don’t think anyone here wants to contribute to people’s harm and death. :slight_smile:

“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.” Deuteronomy 6:4-5. Christ said that this was the greatest of all the commandments. Church is a place to worship God. Not to worship a political idea like climate change. Not to worship junk science. Climate change is nothing but a false idol, and like all false idols the time will come when it is overthrown.

Redux:
They also exist as places to propagate moral teachings. If you would like to understand the importance of that in Christianity, have a look at the gospel of the last judgment. Matthew 25:31-46.

Not to worship a political idea like climate change. Not to worship junk science.
Climate change is nothing but a false idol, and like all false idols the time will come when it is overthrown.

Fascinating ideas.

The only moral question is the immorality of those supporting the Climate Change, aka, Global Warming lie!

You mean like what Pope Francis is doing?

I believe he is misinformed on this, yes!

What is your question?

Why do people continue to believe this lie?
It is nothing but junk science and has never been proven.

Exactly. As churches reject the teachings of Christ, they must have something to fill in the hole. In this case, they reject salvation through Christ and embrace salvation through solar panels.

You realize you are talking about the Catholic Church, right? You believe that by being one of the strongest voices on climate change in the world the Church has rejected Christ? I think the opposite is true.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.