Faith leaders reframe climate change as moral issue

What makes you think your sources of information are better than his?

Also, you said more than “misinformed”. You said:

…immorality of those supporting the Climate Change, aka, Global Warming lie!

implying that those supporting climate change are not merely misinformed, but immoral. So is Pope Francis immoral, or just misinformed? And if he is just misinformed, would not other supporters of climate change be “merely misinformed”?

0 Likes

There is certainly that danger. The strongest voices on climate change also include some of the strongest voices favoring population control.

Climate change supporters don’t have a problem calling climate change skeptics immoral. I’m not sure you have much of a leg to stand on here.

0 Likes

Are you saying that Pope Francis has called climate change skeptics immoral? I don’t think has done any such thing!

0 Likes

Finding a despised group that holds the same view does not reflect on that view at all. For example, there are probably some KKK members who support Trump. That doesn’t mean everyone who supports Trump shares the same attitude as the KKK. Similarly, just because some population control advocates support climate change does not mean that everyone who supports climate change shares their agenda. That is a logical fallacy and a very poor attack on the merits of climate science.

0 Likes

I’m going to interject this little link here, both for those who thinks global warming is nothing but a communist conspiracy and for those who think it’s going to destroy the earth in 50 years –

climatechange.procon.org

Nuance is a thing.

0 Likes

Lynnvinc.

You said (emphasis mine) . . .

However, I do think anti-environmentalists may be relying on God to provide manna once we’ve destroyed our food productivity.

WHO are these people so I can help you oppose them?

You also cited this article . . .

. . . . In recent years, faith-based advocacy has emerged as a powerful tool in the environmental movement. By reframing climate change and sustainability as moral issues, religious leaders hope to advance environmentalism . . .

Now tell me what you think Catholic leaders want people to DO about this?

God bless.

Cathoholic

0 Likes

Skwrl. You had an admonition for those who (emphasis mine) . . . .

. . . . thinks global warming is nothing but a communist conspiracy . . .

But I’ve never heard anyone claim global warming is “nothing” but a “communist conspiracy”.

WHO thinks global warming is nothing but a “communist conspiracy”?

I think the leaders in the global warming game want to . . . .

[LIST]
*]Re-distribute wealth
[/LIST]
[LIST]
*]Have an international police force
[/LIST]
[LIST]
*]Proclaim themselves as the proverbial “science referee”
[/LIST]

(or as they have openly said, . . . .)

“Methodologies for estimating anthropogenic emissions by sources and removals by sinks of all greenhouse gases not controlled by the Montreal Protocol shall be those accepted by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

They want these things and many MORE aspects of POWER for themselves. And they openly admit it.

They want effectively an international government or at least a body that has international taxation force.

They want to have self-oversight or as they say . . . .

“The clean development mechanism shall be subject to the authority and guidance of the Conference

They want the power to self perpetuate their own power structure personnel openly asserting . . . .

. . . . shall be replaced by an additional member to be elected by and from amongst the Parties to this Protocol."

They have on their wish list power over a new proverbial New York Stock Exchange called the global “emissions trading” game.

The Conference of the Parties shall define the relevant principles, modalities, rules and guidelines, in particular for verification, reporting and accountability for emissions trading.

They insist upon central bureaucratic Global control over (at least to some extent):

Greenhouse gases
Carbon dioxide (CO2)
Methane (CH4)
Nitrous oxide (N2O)
Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs)
Perfluorocarbons (PFCs)
Sulphur hexafluoride (SF6)
Sectors/source categories
Energy
Fuel combustion
Energy industries
Manufacturing industries and construction
Transport
Other sectors
Other
Fugitive emissions from fuels
Solid fuels
Oil and natural gas
Other
Industrial processes
Mineral products
Chemical industry
Metal production
Other production
Production of halocarbons and sulphur hexafluoride
Consumption of halocarbons and sulphur hexafluoride
Other
Solvent and other product use
Agriculture
Enteric fermentation
Manure management
Rice cultivation
Agricultural soils
Prescribed burning of savannas
Field burning of agricultural residues
Other
Waste
Solid waste disposal on land
Wastewater handling
Waste incineration

Surely you have read what THEY SAY right?

You can read it for yourself (the link is here on this post).

So now you bring to the table a whole different group.

A group of people who think the global warming game is a “communist conspiracy”.

And I would like to know WHO those people are so I can oppose them.

0 Likes

This is like level 20 Alex Jones insanity.

0 Likes

Why do I see a “prudential judgment” argument possibly coming in the future? A poster already said he thinks Pope Francis, whom the faithful believe is the Vicar of Christ on planet earth, is misinformed on the matter. That said, I myself personally hope people are listening to these leaders, Catholic as well as other leaders across the faith spectrum.

0 Likes

I have yet failed to find a logical argument for how turning on the ignition in my car or heating my home is a moral problem?

0 Likes

cruxnow.com/vatican/2016/09/01/pope-calls-global-warming-sin-says-protecting-creation-work-mercy/

0 Likes

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/uDFmIDPzCo4znxgzKlT0_jgv4CqHkarUrQ005ED_HbclD4Ex32hmOHsAn95kbFc_WZMiOQ1BMlRj4Fu-vDLyOgnT3syuxfWFY8KxoEWpqd9gxcPzZnQUM8q76jkJzs7IQUNr_cUt

0 Likes

Just for the sake of details, nearly every cabinet member I have heard did not deny that climate change is a reality yet left open the debate to what degree man contributes to this problem.

SOS Rex Tillerson
youtu.be/CidK1jgfr00

EPA Scott Pruitt
youtu.be/f27zhFP1NxA

DOI Ryan Zinke
youtu.be/-y-IJ65nHuQ

The only direct question I could find for Nikki Haley,

UN ambassador Nikki Haley

Senator Tom Udall (Democrat, New Mexico) asked Haley if she agrees that the United States must remain a part of the Paris climate agreement. Haley said that the “climate change will always be on the table for me”.

Haley continued: “When we look at that Paris agreement, we should do what is right, but not at the peril of our industries.”

nature.com/news/trump-nominees-talk-science-as-it-happened-1.21319

This position is quite reasonable.

0 Likes

Joshman1. You insulting me personally (here) will not erase the fact that the sustantive quotes I used are directly from the IPCC Kyoto Protocol document.

Link here below containing those substantive quotes are directly from IPCC Kyoto Protocol document and posted on website of The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.

unfccc.int/essential_background/kyoto_protocol/items/1678.php

0 Likes

Those quotes don’t substantiate your points, which quite frankly, are extreme to the point of being beyond rational discussion. I’m not going to change your mind.

0 Likes

J Peterson.

If you want to think a Trump Tweet about claims of China and further claims of Chinese political subversion = “nothing but a communist conspiracy” that’s fine with me.

You go right ahead and think that.

I am not posting here to defend or reject Donald Trump.

0 Likes

joshman1. Your earlier personal insults aside. . . .

You now are saying . . . .

Those quotes don’t substantiate your points . . . . I’m not going to change your mind.

If you want to think this joshman1, you go right ahead and think it.

I put up the direct sources so people could read them first hand, compare them to what I said, and draw their own conclusions.

The direct quotes are authentic.

And I stand by them. And unless I have a good reason not to, I stand by my analysis of them.

Directly from the IPCC (with emphasis mine) . . . .

“The developed country parties” shall “provide new and additional financial resources to meet the agreed full costs incurred by developing countr(ies)”

“Methodologies for estimating **anthropogenic emissions **by sources and removals by sinks of all greenhouse gases not controlled by the Montreal Protocol shall be those accepted by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

“The clean development mechanism shall be subject to the authority and guidance of the Conference

“Emission reductions resulting from each project activity shall be certified by operational entities to be designated by the Conference” . . .

“. . . . shall be replaced by an additional member to be elected by and** from amongst the Parties to this Protocol**.”

(g) Seek to mobilize additional financial resources in accordance with
Article 11, paragraph 2;
(h) Establish such subsidiary bodies as are deemed necessary for the implementation of this Protocol;

The Conference of the Parties shall define the relevant principles, modalities, rules and guidelines, in particular for verification, reporting and accountability for emissions trading.

Greenhouse gases
Carbon dioxide (CO2)
Methane (CH4)
Nitrous oxide (N2O)
Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs)
Perfluorocarbons (PFCs)
Sulphur hexafluoride (SF6)
Sectors/source categories
Energy
Fuel combustion
Energy industries
Manufacturing industries and construction
Transport
Other sectors
Other
Fugitive emissions from fuels
Solid fuels
Oil and natural gas
Other
Industrial processes
Mineral products
Chemical industry
Metal production
Other production
Production of halocarbons and sulphur hexafluoride
Consumption of halocarbons and sulphur hexafluoride
Other
Solvent and other product use
Agriculture
Enteric fermentation
Manure management
Rice cultivation
Agricultural soils
Prescribed burning of savannas
Field burning of agricultural residues
Other
Waste
Solid waste disposal on land
Wastewater handling
Waste incineration
Other

After COP 21 in Paris about a year ago global warming proponents were complaining because the conference** lacked “teeth”**.

What kind of “teeth” that were lacking, do you think these people were upset about?

0 Likes

Teeth means regulatory mechanisms to ensure that the items you quoted are actually followed…

Your conspiracy theory continues to be based on nothing but reckless speculation, and quite frankly, makes zero sense.

0 Likes

2016 was the hottest year on record. The past 3 years have Seen these records broken. In my part of the world , El Nino makes things very hot.
2017 will be cooler because El Nino is over.

But at a 2 degree increase in global temp, the globe is in trouble. It is trying to be kept at 1.5 degrees. Even then , thats a worry.

So what has this increase already done to my country? Turned large parts of the Great Barrier Reef bleached and destroyed, destroyed a major river system, and created a tinderbox out of one of the last green states in Aus.

Causes of this? Yes natural progression from an ice house to a green house climate. But also anthropogenic, and the latter is hastening the process alarmingly for the next few generations.

The horse has bolted, this wont be stopped or slowed. The real science now is to mitigate, adapt, and try to keep that increase in temp under or at 1.5 degree increase

Antarctica , the driest continent on earth, remained much warmer this year.

0 Likes

The average temperature for 2016 was 0.9 degrees warmer here and globally 1.1 degree hotter then
Average.

That is a big deal in shifting temperate, cool , and tropical zones.

And so many other natural events

So what does that do to humanity?

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.