Faith of Christ or Faith in Christ

I tend to think that I’m called in obedience to believe in Christ that I may be justified by the “faith of Christ.”

Read 1 Corinthians 13. Is it not saying that having all faith to move mountains without love is nothing?

The description of love following only equals God as far as I can tell; the Son, Christ Jesus especially.

Does it follow that faith without Love (Christ) does not save? I personally think this reaches the full depth of the passage which is infinitely meaningful.

What is your opinion? Are we saved by faith in Christ (our doing), or the faith of Christ (His)?

Also I was thinking “the faith” is rather nicely summarized in 1 Corinthians 13:1-10

At least my life experience including my love of the Church seems to be moving toward that summary.

I think both. We have to obey and follow Christ. So we must have faith in Him to obey Him and mimic His faith as much as we can. You cannot have faith in Christ and not try to have the faith of Christ, because Christ Himself told us to take up our crosses and follow Him.

Faith in Christ entails doing what He tells us to do. Faith without works is dead. Repentance is a work, and so is forgiving those who have done us wrong. Thus one can believe in Jesus and claim to have faith in Him, but if we do not repent of our sins, or if we have unforgiveness in our heart, that faith is dead and one cannot do anything with it.

So not either or but both and?

The “faith of Christ” would simply be what we believe as a result of our faith in Christ–it is what we receive from Him to believe (and obey). You can’t have one without the other (which is why heresy destroys faith completely).

There is no “faith of Christ” in the sense of Christ’s faith, since He did not have faith. He enjoyed the beatific vision at all times (see Pius XII, Mystici Corporis 75). And the Church teaches the following:

Benedict XII, Benedictus Deus

Such a vision and enjoyment of the divine essence do away with the acts of faith and hope in these souls, inasmuch as faith and hope are properly theological virtues.

St. Thomas goes into more detail about this here:

Article 3. Whether in Christ there was faith?

We profess the faith of Christ. Catholic Answers:

“In sum, the Church teaches that salvation is a process of becoming holier and holier through time. All of this is a work of grace that God performs in our hearts through faith. Works done in faith are the natural completion of believing in Christ. As we trust and do God’s work, he instills within us more grace so that we may become holier and so be ready to meet him at the end of our life.”

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/arent-we-saved-by-faith-alone

I’m not sure I can fully consent to that. Jesus had the beatific vision because He was God but I would say he had a perfect faith because he was fully man. The faith he had was pure love. That’s how I make sense of it anyways.

Faith is the assurance of things not seen (cf. Heb. 11:1). It is the virtue by which we believe what God has revealed, not because we see as God sees, but because of the authority of God the revealer (cf. CCC 156) Faith comes by hearing, not seeing (cf. Rom. 10:17). That’s why Christ, whose human soul beheld God as He is did not have faith. When we reach Heaven we will also not have faith or hope–but we will have charity. Charity never ends, which is why faith without charity is in vain, as St. Paul explains in the chapter you cite.

But ultimately, when we see God, we will no longer need to believe by faith.

11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood.

Right but didn’t Christ have a particular faith in His Father? For example he said that the hour is not known except by the Father but he taught authoritatively on the matter.

Again in the garden of Gethsemane Jesus prayed not his will be done but his father. Wouldn’t that suggest a particular faith In the humanity of Christ of his father in heaven.

And to tie it all together the faith that is being talked about in regards to faith hope and love is our particular human faith But I would say the faith of Christ humanity was love itself.

Doesn’t love perfect faith rather than stand juxtaposed to it?

Faith of Christ refers to the Sacraments and Rituals which He established when He established the Catholic Church.

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. 26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. 28 He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: 29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Thank you for your response. I should probably be careful here to note that what I’m asking about in no way implies to me I desire of any kind to separate from the Catholic Church. I’m actually getting ready to debate the sufficiency of Scripture to be the sole infallible rule of faith and my question is really relevant when I consider the summary of the rule of faith. I hope that explains more my question.

In that context I think the verses I cited in first Corinthian’s 13 are a summary of the rule of faith. Our Catholic faith and hope or a part of the rule of faith. But I think a summary is Christ and is love or consequently His love which is true love.

If you have not love then you do not have a saving faith because consequently if you do not have love you do not have Christ.

This is true.

If I understand your question correctly, we need to believe in God on two levels—intellectual assent that He exsists, and the desire to enter into relationship with Him, which will naturally result in “good deeds”.

That’s really close to my thinking but I would say belief and desire would be in the same boat while actually having a relationship (action/works) completes the rule of faith. So the rule of faith (love) encompasses both.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.