Faith Tabernacle

There are a few young women who work in our building who belong to a Faith Tabernacle church. Is Faith Tabernacle a particular denomination? They seem very, very conservative–ankle length skirts, long sleeves.

The name is too common among unconnected groups. If you are referring to the Independent Baptist group in Chicago, it is a historically a fairly conservative ‘African American’ denomination. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of sects with the same name nationwide.

We would need more information. What city is this located in? Who are the pastors? Etc. As noted above, “Faith Tabernacle” is a relatively common name for individual congregations that may or may not be related to each other.

How would these groups be “related to each other”?

Do you mean in the sense that they teach the same doctrine and the pastors submit to the authority of a “head” pastor?

Or do you mean that they were once part of “Faith Tabernacle” and then broke off due to a doctrinal dispute?

I don’t know. That’s why we would need more information. “Tabernacle” is a common name for local congregations. “Faith” is also a name that is commonly found in local church names.

Their use together may simply have been chosen by a local church because that church liked the name. Or it might have been chosen because the local church is part of some kind of denomination called “Faith Tabernacle.”

I don’t have any specific ideas. I would need to look at the history of the particular organization in question.

I’ve never heard of a denomination called “Faith Tabernacle” (but that doesn’t mean there isn’t one out there). It’s likely just the name of a local church.

There is also the possibility that “Faith Tabernacle” is the name of the local church, and the the denomination is named something different. From the description, this church could be a Holiness church that still enforces strict dress codes, and its likely to be affiliated with a traditional Holiness church body that may or may not be called “Faith Tabernacle.”

:thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I don’t have answers to any of these questions. I don’t know the women enough to start asking questions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.