Faith

Hi,
I have another unanswered thread on the site but I am too busy at the moment to answer it. However,I am compelled to put these words before you.
Who is your father?
It has to be between satan and God.
If it is God,
He says that He will search for you,
He says He will compel you to enter,
He says His arm is not short.
What do YOU have to do.
Believe Him
Your 2000 rules will harden your heart to the leading of the Holy Spirit, make you self righteous and send you to hell.
You can strive with all your might till your arms drop off and your heart is torn in two
Only your faith will save you.
If you believe Him, In His son Jesus, your fruit will be the evidence-works.
To doubt is sin.
Walking in Faith takes courage, stepping out from the comfort zone of rules.
walk in love
edwinG

well then, i ask how can your faith guarantee your salvation? theres no proof… and how can your faith be good enough to save you when The epistle of James says three times that faith isnt enough, faith without works is dead, we are saved by works and not by faith alone? 2000 rules? whered you come up with that number? Faith, along with works, are gifts of the Grace of God, His Saving Grace. but i guess because of your pure ignorance to the truth, your faith might be enough to save you because Satan has hardened your heart to the point you cant hear the truth… and have you wondered why only the Catholic church is being attacked, over, and over, and over, for 2000 years, and has never lost, and yet none of these little self proclaiming protestant gathering places seem to take a single shot from the outside?? i guess satan doesnt waste his time attacking the stumbling block he so nicely set up, and he attacks the one true problem left for him, the living remnant of Jesus Christ himself, the Catholic Church

God Bless you Edwin, im praying for you, i hope lots of people are too…

[quote=edwinG]Hi,
I have another unanswered thread on the site but I am too busy at the moment to answer it. However,I am compelled to put these words before you.
Who is your father?
If it is God,
What do YOU have to do.
Believe Him
Your 2000 rules will harden your heart to the leading of the Holy Spirit, make you self righteous and send you to hell.
You can strive with all your might till your arms drop off and your heart is torn in two
To doubt is sin.
walk in love
edwinG
[/quote]

I am curious as how you came up with 2000 rules??? Acutally, we have the Ten Commandments which can be summed up in Two: You shall Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your strength and with all your soul and You shall Love your neighnor as yourself. Grace saves us through Chirst’s Sacrafice on the Cross and we must continue to run the race until the end. 1 Corinthians 9:

24 Know you not that they that run in the race, all run indeed, but one receiveth the prize. So run that you may obtain.http://www.scriptours.com/images/spacer.gif
25 And every one that striveth for the mastery refraineth himself from all things. And they indeed that they may receive a corruptible crown: but we an incorruptible one.http://www.scriptours.com/images/spacer.gif
26 I therefore so run, not as at an uncertainty: I so fight, not as one beating the air.http://www.scriptours.com/images/spacer.gif
27 But I chastise my body and bring it into subjection: lest perhaps, when I have preached to others, I myself should become a castaway.

Applying the Two Greatest Commandments is where the Magesterium aided by the Holy Spirit guides and interprets Oral and Written (Scripture) Tradition. It is better to have 2000 instances of guidance in continuity of Doctrine of Faith passed down from the Apostles to the present day then thousands of denominations and sects over the meaning of Scripture each with their own rules after the churches parted with the proper Authority. Thanks and God Bless.

Question: Wouldn’t saying the “Sinner’s Prayer” in order to be saved mean we must do a work for our salvation?

Peace be with you,
Fieryjades

i agree with Fieryjades, you people scream “FAITH ALONE…”… but yet dont follow it, if faith alone was good enough, corinthians wouldnt say love was greater than faith, and Jesus himself said we need to forgive to be fogiven by God… your choice to accept Jesus as your personal lord and savior, Is a Work, forgiving others, which directly follows a precise order from JC, Is a Work, loving others, also directly from JC, Is a Work, chosing to be baptised(for those who do adult baptism only), Is also a work… protestants have sooo many Works, that are required by their traditions, which they claim they have none, and yet they dont even see them…

oh yeah, to doubt, is human… live with it…its in our nature, its one of the feelings God gave us…

[quote=jax8686]well then, i ask how can your faith guarantee your salvation? theres no proof… and how can your faith be good enough to save you when The epistle of James says three times that faith isnt enough, faith without works is dead, we are saved by works and not by faith alone? 2000 rules? whered you come up with that number? Faith, along with works, are gifts of the Grace of God, His Saving Grace. but i guess because of your pure ignorance to the truth, your faith might be enough to save you because Satan has hardened your heart to the point you cant hear the truth… and have you wondered why only the Catholic church is being attacked, over, and over, and over, for 2000 years, and has never lost, and yet none of these little self proclaiming protestant gathering places seem to take a single shot from the outside?? i guess satan doesnt waste his time attacking the stumbling block he so nicely set up, and he attacks the one true problem left for him, the living remnant of Jesus Christ himself, the Catholic Church

God Bless you Edwin, im praying for you, i hope lots of people are too…
[/quote]

Hi jax8686,
Thank you very much for your prayers. I really do appreciate them. And I very much hope that many people are praying for me as well.
Firstly the 2000 rules comes from listening to the commentary on EWTN after JohnPaul11 passed on. I am not sure but I thought they may have been talking about the catechism. You would be able to answer this for me.
It is faith which produces the works jax. not the works which produce the faith. You can not be saved by works. First comes faith, it is the faith which saves and this faith leads to work which is in accordance to God’s will. Note some people said to Christ , we cast out demons in our name etc and He said depart from Me you who practise lawlessness. Lawlessness is doing works not according to His will. His will comes from following the leading of the Holy Spirit as Christ did when He stayed behind at the temple and His parents Joseph and Mary lost Him for 3 days. Christ was not practising lawlessness He was following the leading of the Holy Spirit.
Your posting about my not being attacked is totally without knowledge. How could you possibly know what is going on in my life or anyone else’s unless you were told. Have you asked?
walk in love
edwinG

[quote=edwinG]Hi,
Who is your father?
If it is God,
What do YOU have to do.
Believe Him
To doubt is sin.
walk in love
edwinG
[/quote]

You show me your faith without works, I will show you my faith with works.

[quote=edwinG]Hi,
Who is your father?
If it is God,
What do YOU have to do.
Believe Him
To doubt is sin.
walk in love
edwinG
[/quote]

Do I have to pray to God to be saved? Do I have to repent to be saved?

[quote=Fieryjades]Question: Wouldn’t saying the “Sinner’s Prayer” in order to be saved mean we must do a work for our salvation?

Peace be with you,
Fieryjades
[/quote]

Hi Fierjades,
I am not sure what the sinners pray is but the word "repent’ comes to mind. So if repentances is work, yes, because in repentance you are obeying the Holy Spirit. He will convict you. How blessed we are when we follow Him.
If you are not actively following Him then you are but babies in Christ, as Christ was himself before He departed from His parents and stayed behind in the temple. Here He was being obedient to His Father given by the Holy Spirit. By not following the Holy Spirit you are risking practising lawlessness.
walk in love
edwinG

[quote=jimmy]You show me your faith without works, I will show you my faith with works.
[/quote]

Hi jimmy,
Exactly, thanks jimmy. Faith first then works.
walk in love
edwinG

[quote=edwinG]Hi Fierjades,
I am not sure what the sinners pray is but the word "repent’ comes to mind. So if repentances is work, yes, because in repentance you are obeying the Holy Spirit. He will convict you. How blessed we are when we follow Him.
If you are not actively following Him then you are but babies in Christ, as Christ was himself before He departed from His parents and stayed behind in the temple. Here He was being obedient to His Father given by the Holy Spirit. By not following the Holy Spirit you are risking practising lawlessness.
walk in love
edwinG
[/quote]

And he was doing works by staying at the temple and preaching.

If some guy sits in his livingroom drinking beer all day and counts on his faith, without works, and does not plan on trying to live a Godly life, he will go straight to hell.

[quote=jimmy]Do I have to pray to God to be saved? Do I have to repent to be saved?
[/quote]

Hi jimmy,
Do you think that this is a sincere answer. Do you think this pleases Christ who knows all that we do.
walk in love
edwinG

[quote=edwinG]Hi jimmy,
Exactly, thanks jimmy. Faith first then works.
walk in love
edwinG
[/quote]

Yes, but faith and works go together. Without works you can not really say you have faith. Without works, how can you say you are sorry for your sins, or say that you love God? The Catholic Church teaches that it is through faith and works. Faith will not save you alone, works will not save you alone. You need them both.

[quote=jimmy]And he was doing works by staying at the temple and preaching.

If some guy sits in his livingroom drinking beer all day and counts on his faith, without works, and does not plan on trying to live a Godly life, he will go straight to hell.
[/quote]

Hi, jimmy,
Do you have such a low opinion of the Holy Spirit that He would lead a person of faith to sit in his livingroom and drink beer all day.
Do you have such small faith yourself that you think that the Holy Spirit can’t make Himself heard?
Walk in love
edwinG

[quote=edwinG]Hi jimmy,
Do you think that this is a sincere answer. Do you think this pleases Christ who knows all that we do.
walk in love
edwinG
[/quote]

I am not sure what your point is. What my point is, is that by praying and by repenting you are doing some sort of an act. To simply have faith does not mean that you will pray or repent. Satan has faith, but he is in hell.

edwinG, how do you define a work? What makes one lawless? Are you a sinner? FYI:“The Sinner’s prayer” is when one confesses and repents of all sin and accepts Jesus as a personal savior. Also, I don’t think the TV is the best place to learn about Catholicism, but I encourage you to explore Catholic Answer to see what Catholicism really believes!

God love you,
FJ

[quote=edwinG]Hi, jimmy,
Do you have such a low opinion of the Holy Spirit that He would lead a person of faith to sit in his livingroom and drink beer all day.
Do you have such small faith yourself that you think that the Holy Spirit can’t make Himself heard?
Walk in love
edwinG
[/quote]

You are very offensive Edwin. You need to get off your high horse and realize that you have nothing to be proud about.

Faith does not mean that a man will do good things. As I said above, Satan has faith but he is in hell. Faith means nothing without the good works.

[quote=edwinG]Hi, jimmy,
Walk in love
edwinG
[/quote]

The Holy Spirit can easily make himself heard, but the man drinking beer in his living room can easily ignore the Holy Spirit also. You have to accept the Holy Spirit.

[quote=jimmy]Yes, but faith and works go together. Without works you can not really say you have faith. Without works, how can you say you are sorry for your sins, or say that you love God? The Catholic Church teaches that it is through faith and works. Faith will not save you alone, works will not save you alone. You need them both.
[/quote]

Hi jimmy,
Surely you can see we are saying the same thing. But faith comes first. It is your faith that enables the works to be done. Without faith you are practising lawlessness, following a bunch of rules. Following a bunch of 2000 rules is not an act of faith. You can see the rules you can read them, analayse them etc etc etc. Faith is believing and following that belief.
Christ did not read in the paper, today I have to stay at the temple while my mum and dad head for home. There was no rule book. He listened to the Holy Spirit and in faith did the work.
Faith came first, not the work.
walk in love
edwinG

[quote=edwinG]Hi jimmy,
Surely you can see we are saying the same thing. But faith comes first. It is your faith that enables the works to be done. Without faith you are practising lawlessness, following a bunch of rules. Following a bunch of 2000 rules is not an act of faith. You can see the rules you can read them, analayse them etc etc etc. Faith is believing and following that belief.
Christ did not read in the paper, today I have to stay at the temple while my mum and dad head for home. There was no rule book. He listened to the Holy Spirit and in faith did the work.
Faith came first, not the work.
walk in love
edwinG
[/quote]

I think we may be saying the same thing. Your definition of faith is different than mine. I define faith as simply a belief, it seems that you are including actually following Christ in that.

I will agree with you, there are no rules we need to follow in order to be saved. But, we need to live our faith. I don’t have to follow any laws, but if I do not sacrifice, then I can not say I desire it or that I love God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.