Faithful Catholic colleges

Of all the Catholic colleges in our country, which ones are truly faithful to the teachings of the Church? I've heard so much moral scandal on so called "Catholic" campuses.

A friend of mine is looking to attend a truly Catholic college to get her nursing degree, and this is the start of our research.

So, the school would not only need to be 'Catholic,' but also have a nursing program.

Chime in especially about any good Catholic nursing schools you know of or have heard of.

If you know of a good and true Catholic college, but don't know whether the school has a nursing program or not, please tell us the name of the school anyway.

Thank you.

Good for your friend!! Formation should continue in college for sure, and there are A LOT of "fake" Catholic schools out there, unfortunately.

The Cardinal Newman Society compiles their "Guide to Choosing a Catholic College" and made it free available on-line. They are extremely selective, and although not all of the schools would have a nursing program, all of them are worth a look:

thenewmanguide.com/TableofContents/tabid/506/Default.aspx

Also, I am a Catholic University of America alumnus. Although I hate to do a shameless plug, CUA is a great school! I will say that you can go there and NOT be a "good Catholic"; the entire campus culture is perhaps not as "Catholic" as places like Franciscan University of Steubenville, from what I have heard. But CUA does have the possibility to be a thoroughly enriching, vibrantly Catholic undergrad experience--and has a fabulous nursing program.

Just checked--Steubenville does have a nursing program, and I can honestly say, that school turns out some of the most joyful, learned, and great Catholic people that I have ever known!! So even though it's not my alma mater, I still think it's a great choice, whatever that's worth! :thumbsup:

[quote="ForAll, post:2, topic:212589"]
Good for your friend!! Formation should continue in college for sure, and there are A LOT of "fake" Catholic schools out there, unfortunately.

The Cardinal Newman Society compiles their "Guide to Choosing a Catholic College" and made it free available on-line. They are extremely selective, and although not all of the schools would have a nursing program, all of them are worth a look:

thenewmanguide.com/TableofContents/tabid/506/Default.aspx

Also, I am a Catholic University of America alumnus. Although I hate to do a shameless plug, CUA is a great school! I will say that you can go there and NOT be a "good Catholic"; the entire campus culture is perhaps not as "Catholic" as places like Franciscan University of Steubenville, from what I have heard. But CUA does have the possibility to be a thoroughly enriching, vibrantly Catholic undergrad experience--and has a fabulous nursing program.

Just checked--Steubenville does have a nursing program, and I can honestly say, that school turns out some of the most joyful, learned, and great Catholic people that I have ever known!! So even though it's not my alma mater, I still think it's a great choice, whatever that's worth! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

There is an article in last week's National Catholic Register with contact information for those schools it considers genuinely Catholic by way of a number of criteria. Might want to look that up online and contact those schools. A number of them had ads as well and said they have "health services" degrees. I assume that includes nursing.

Belmont Abbey here in NC is a very faithful Catholic college, and I think the tuition is very reasonable for a private college. I don’t think they have a nursing program, though.

belmontabbeycollege.edu/

Aquinas College in TN has an RN program I think.

My daughter is a freshman at CUA, and I would echo some of the earlier statements, namely that you can attend there and NOT be Catholic, but the reminders of the faith and it's influences are everywhere! I am at this point truly impressed - and they DO have a nursing program!

[quote="enderst, post:6, topic:212589"]
My daughter is a freshman at CUA, and I would echo some of the earlier statements, namely that you can attend there and NOT be Catholic, but the reminders of the faith and it's influences are everywhere! I am at this point truly impressed - and they DO have a nursing program!

[/quote]

Oh yay I'm so glad she's finding her way! The Campus Ministry there is pretty great, from what I hear, and if she gets in with those kids, I think it would be smooth-sailing, so to speak. Having the Basilica right next to the campus is a great comfort, and there are so many opportunities to get involved in Catholic life. I hope she loves her four years there!

Just tell her to stay away from those rugby girls (of which I was one)--they're a rough crowd, especially if she's not super-strong in her faith!!

Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula, California is one of the premier examples of a classical Catholic liberal arts college education in the country. Here is a link to The Newman Guide for Choosing a Catholic College. Thomas Aquinas College is pictured on the front cover:

thenewmanguide.com/TheNewmanGuideHome/tabid/513/Default.aspx

This college, TAC, is one of the most beautiful little colleges in the country. The architecture is Spanish Mission style, and the school is situated in the mountains above Ventura beach. It is like heaven. When I visit my daughter there, I never want to leave. The faculty and staff are devoted Catholics, most Masses are in Latin, and the student body is an inspiring group of young Catholics. Tuition is reasonable as well, though as you would expect, TAC is by no means a rich school.

Though there is no medical/nursing program, there are students who do a four year degree at TAC and then move into that field after graduation, usually with further studies or attending summer programs while going full time to TAC. The four year program offers only one course of study, which is further explained on the TAC website:

thomasaquinas.edu/

This college is nothing short of amazing on so many levels. Not only is the education outstanding, but the entire setting is so deeply spiritual that one cannot help but love God more, and the Church as well, by attending this school. Many priests and nuns are alums from TAC. All of the students learn and can capably defend their faith. We have been so pleased with Thomas Aquinas College and pray that more of our children will go there.

Saint Anselm College is a Catholic college with an excellent nursing program.

www.anselm.edu

I am an alum, but I didn't graduate in nursing.

[quote="ForAll, post:2, topic:212589"]

[/quote]

I am an alum from FUS. Back in the day - 20 years ago - we had more theology majors than Notre Dame and Catholic U combined. All of the non-theology majors are taught with the Catholic faith and principals in mind. I was a Business grad. My professors were all Catholic and from the real business world. They taught us how to do business the right way.

I seem to recall some craziness a few years ago from Boston College (a Catholic school) where they were taking down all of the crucifixes because it could be upsetting to a non-Catholic.

Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas, about an hour from Kansas City. I am a student here and it is definitely a very faithful Catholic college, plus we also have a nursing program.

Wow, thank you so much for all the helpful and thoughtful responses I have received so far!!! This gives us a great start in the college hunt.

Much gratitude and prayers for you all!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.