Falcon Heights Shooting

independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/falcon-heights-shooting-facebook-live-video-aftermath-st-paul-philando-castile-lavish-reynolds-a7124311.html

startribune.com/aftermath-of-officer-involved-shooting-captured-on-phone-video/385789251/#1

Another black man being shot.

Read the article and watch the video the woman filmed.

As of now, people are calling in to see if the mother and the little girl are okay because they were detained after her boyfriend was shot in front of them. Apparently the police said they have “no information” as of now. Hope they are okay.

The video broke my heart and I hope there is justice

It is a hard video to watch. Prayers for all those involved.

Despicable. The man shot was legally carrying, exercising his second amendment rights, and was shot complying with police orders… And where is the gun nut outrage? There is none, because he’s black. :mad:

The story is brand new, so people are just becoming aware of it. It will take a little more time since people who see articles about it may think the articles are talking about the Baton Rouge incident.

But you felt it necessary to start a political fight, slam those who you disagree with politically, and accuse them of racism. Doing so using the death of this young man to further your political points. His body isn’t yet cold and you are attacking those you disagree with politically, even though you have no idea how exactly gun rights proponents will actually react, since the story is still breaking. Bravo.

Another Black man shot and killed by a policeman who believed shooting first is the acceptable way of engaging Black folk.

A St. Paul man died Wednesday night after being shot by police in Falcon Heights, the immediate aftermath of which was shown in a video recorded by the man’s girlfriend as she sat next to him and which was widely shared on Facebook.

The girlfriend started the live-stream video with the man in the driver’s seat slumped next to her, his white T-shirt soaked with blood on the left side. In the video, taken with her phone, she says they were pulled over at Larpenteur Avenue and Fry Street for a broken taillight.

The “police shot him for no apparent reason, no reason at all,” she says.

Friends at the scene identified the man as Philando Castile, 32, cafeteria supervisor at J.J. Hill Montessori School in St. Paul.

Castile’s family says his girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, and her 4-year-old daughter were in the car at the time. Reynolds was taken into custody Wednesday night.

Reynolds, who was in the front passenger seat, says in the video that they were pulled over for a broken tail light. She documents that police asked Castile, who was driving, for his license and registration.

She says as Castile was reaching for his wallet, he told officers that he had a firearm in his possession as well as a conceal-and-carry permit.

Reynolds says in the video that an officer then shot her boyfriend four times.

The officer in the video appears to be extremely emotional, and at one point screams, “I told him not to reach for it! I told him to get his hand out …”

Reynolds, who is very composed, tells the officer, “You told him to get his I.D., sir, his driver’s license.”

She then pans the cellphone camera over Castile, who is covered in blood.

“Oh my God, please don’t tell me he’s dead. Please don’t tell me my boyfriend just went like that,” Reynolds said.

The officer, whose gun is drawn the entire time, tells Reynolds to, “Keep your hands where they are.”

“Yes I will, sir, I’ll keep my hands where they are,” she said.

Reynolds is then told to get out of the car. Her cellphone shows several officers with guns drawn, and one officer is holding her daughter, who was in the back seat of the car when Castile was shot.

Below is a transcript of Reynolds’ Facebook video:

Reynolds: Stay with me. We got pulled over for a busted tail light in the back and he’s covered … they killed my boyfriend. He’s licensed to carry. He was trying to get out his ID and his wallet out his pocket and he let the officer know that he had a firearm and he was reaching for his wallet and the officer just shot him in his arm.

Officer: Ma’am, keep your hands where they are.

Reynolds: I am sir, no worries.

Officer: [Yells expletive.]

Reynolds: He just got his arm shot off. We got pulled over on Larpenteur.

Officer: I told him not to reach for it! I told him to get his head up!

Reynolds: He had, you told him to get his ID, sir, his driver’s license. Please don’t tell me he’s dead.

Officer: [Expletive.]

Reynolds: Please don’t tell me my boyfriend just went like that.

Officer: Keep your hands where they are.

Reynolds: Yes I will, sir. I will keep my hands where they are. Please don’t tell me that he’s gone. Please don’t tell me that he’s gone. Please officer, don’t tell me that you just did this to him. You shot four bullets into him, sir. He was just getting his license and registration, sir.

** Silence **

Other Officer: Get the female passenger out of the car.

Reynolds: Where’s my daughter? You have my daughter?”

** Pause **

Reynolds: I got … the Roseville Police got me handcuffed, my phone is about to die. I’m on Larpenteur and Fry and the Roseville Police Department just shot my boyfriend. They shot him four times. He has a license to carry. We had a busted tail light. And we had some weed in the car that’s about it.

So much for the narrative of just following police orders to stay alive.

There must be a seismic shift in the culture of law enforcement, and a huge change in how they select candidates to be police officers. They need to look for different qualities (empathy, the ability to de-escalate situations, etc) and they need to institute a top down culture of accountability.

In the meantime I will continue to teach my Black children to avoid interactions with the police at all costs, to have their phone fully charged and recording if they ever have to engage with the police, and to use their DWB app if they’re stopped by the police.

The story isn’t still breaking, it broke last night! That’s part of why I’m outraged! No one seems to care!

And there’s nothing political about my statement, it’s just my observation thus from media and social media.

1. It is still breaking. I didn’t know of the story until an hour ago. Many people haven’t heard it yet.

2. It was a political attack, plain and simple. “Gun nuts” isn’t a benign statement.

Hey I’m a gun nut too, I’m raging. I’m genuinely shocked no one else is, all I see so far are more calls defending the cop and trying to find something in the victim’s past that justifies murdering him. And they’re having a hell of a time doing that this time, since by all accounts I’ve seen so far he was a hard working family man whose only crime was having a busted tail light (which I can honestly say I’m shocked they still pull people over for :confused:).

I live near Falcon Heights. Haven’t watched the video yet, because I’m still angry over what happened just yesterday in Baton Rouge. I’ve seen lots of Facebook posts, however. I think right now the best we can do is continue to pray for the families that have lost their loved ones.

:gopray:

My husband (a white man) was pulled over several times for things like a tail light, license plate light, etc.while we were dating and he was driving back and forth between our houses. They have always been friendly, hey your light is out, make sure you get that fixed, etc.

Though they were probably using the broken light to check for other things like drunk driving.

I’m interested in the DWB app. How does that work?

Duplicate thread.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=14025565#post14025565

The phone advice was going to be my recommendation to everyone, but particularly anyone in the black community. Always have it easily accessible and begin recording if approached by any police officers for any reason no matter how mundane. As this incident shows, even getting pulled over for something as innocuous as a broken tail light (which seriously who still pulls over people for broken tail lights?!) can get you shot and killed if the cops aren’t given added incentive to behave properly. Knowing they’re on video from the start might just be that incentive. And be sure to have all video immediately backed up to the cloud, not stored locally lest the police try to confiscate it without a warrant as they did with the convenience store security footage in Baton Rouge.

Oh my goodness. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. I was ticketed last week, for the same offense, broken tail light. Although it was nerve wracking, it was safe. How can shooting and killing a man for this be justified at all? God help us.

What broke my heart the most was when the little girl tried to comfort her mother. Nobody should ever go through this. :frowning:

I said in another post that the daughter and the woman was kept till 5am, despite the police saying she was released earlier. They were separated, no food, were blamed.

Sometimes I wish Jesus will come back now because humanity is just…

Yeah it’s pretty routine procedure. The guy was probably stopped for an innocent reason but once the cop saw that he’s black, his mind probably made the connection that black man=dangerous. He’s a Chinese, I think. Not sure. I don’t see any other explanation for it because come on, they were respectful and a little girl was in the car! Breaks my heart.

It also angers me why he just stood there pointing the gun while the man is bleeding to death. 5 shots too! :frowning: I hope the woman and her daughter are alright.

Physically they’re fine, emotionally they’ll probably never be right again even if the officer is brought to justice.

dwbtheapp.com

This looks like a good thing for everyone to have, regardless of their color.

Yeah, BS. The major gun forum I know is probably running 20% “yay cops” and 80% outrage along with everybody’s (of all races) stories of getting hassled and threatened by cops for carrying.

But way to paint all “gun nuts” as racist. That’s pretty bigoted of you. Why don’t you ask Colion Noir about it?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.