Fall Asleep When Praying

So lately I’ve tried to be good with my night time prayers. I try and say 3 Hail Marys and 1 Our Father before I go to sleep.

Night time is a time when I can allow my thoughts to wander onto not so great things due to loneliness etc but lately as I say I have been praying to focus on goodness.

Last night though I fell asleep and I have just remembered that I was half way through a Hail Mary

Was this the devil at work in me? Did he not want me to pray? Have I greatly offended Our Lady and God by falling asleep?

:blush:

I think it’s important to remember that one important aspect of repetitive prayer is that it is a form of meditation, and it is obvious in your case it brings you peace and calmness.

That’s my two cents anyway

:thumbsup:

When I was a little girl and fell asleep saying my night prayers, my Mother always reassured me that “The angels finished them for me”. Now, in old age, I still adhere to this comforting childhood belief. :slight_smile:

St. Therese of Lisieux often fell asleep praying. She didn’t let it bother her, because she figured it was okay for a child to fall asleep in the arms of her Father.

The fact that I often fall asleep during meditation, or while making my thanksgiving, should appall me. Well, I am not appalled; I bear in mind that little children are just as pleasing to their parents asleep as awake; that doctors put patients to sleep while they perform operations, and that after all, “the Lord knows our frame. He remembers that we are dust.”

St. Thérèse of Lisieux.

Edit: Mind reader above me. :smiley:

While saying a litany of prayers at night I often drift off into sleep. I agree with a previous post ,the prayers bring about peace and with peace comes rest

Happens to me frequently. I’d rather fall asleep praying than lie awake fighting off certain temptations.

I used to say Night Prayer of the LOTH right before laying down to go to sleep. (sitting up in bed.)

I have a bookshelf headboard behind me, and when I drifted off to sleep, while sitting up praying, my head would go “bang” on the headboard and I’d wake up! After that happened a few times I smartened up and I now do Night Prayer about an hour before I lay down to go to sleep.

I have fallen asleep several times while praying the Rosary. I don’t know what comes out of my mouth because I wake up mumbling. I think God knows the intent is there even if I am tired and can’t keep my eyes open.

P. S. There is a great poem you should look up, if you will. It is about “The Old Priest Peter Gilligan” who falls asleep during his prayers. I first read it when I was in the 7th grade(long ago!) and it has stayed in the back of my mind since. I think it was written by Yates, but don’t remember. You can find it on the internet.:blessyou:

Here is the poem. It’s really sweet.

The point of praying is raising one’s heart and mind to God. If your prayers achieved this, it really doesn’t matter that you fell asleep. I tend to believe it meant your prayer lasted through the night if you fell asleep with your heart and mind raised to God.

Well, if you were a boy talking to your earthly mom while resting in her lap and drifted asleep, do you think she would look down and smile at you or do you think she would grab you by the scruff of the neck and throw you out of the house?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.