Fallen Angels, Demons, The Enemy, The Forces of Darkness, Spiritual Warfare - What are they?

Ok, I am creating this thread for your scriptural impressions and ideas about who the Enemy/Evil Spirits are.

My poll:

1. Fallen Angels and Demons are the same thing

2. Fallen Angels and Demons are two separate things

3. Other

The King James Version of the Bible often used the term “devils” which some readers assume are Satan’s demons. Other translations use “heathen gods,” “idols,” etc.

Leviticus 17:7: “And they shall no more offer their sacrifices unto devils, [literally “hairy ones”] after whom they have gone a whoring.”

Deuteronomy 32:17: “They sacrificed unto devils, not to God; to gods whom they knew not, to new gods that came newly up…”

2 Chronicles 11:15: “And he ordained him priests for the high places, and for the devils, and for the [statues of] calves which he had made.”

Psalms 106:35-37: “But were mingled among the heathen, and learned their works. And they served their idols: which were a snare unto them. Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto devils.”

Evil spirits which cause mental disturbances are mentioned in the Hebrew Scriptures.

Judges 9:23: “Then God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the men of Shechem…”

1 Kings 22:23: “…behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets…”

1 Samuel 16:14: “But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him.” (KJV)

1 Sam 18:10: “And it came to pass on the morrow, that the evil spirit from God came upon Saul…”

1 Sam 19:9: “And the evil spirit from the LORD was upon Saul…”

Matthew 4:24: “…they brought unto him [Jesus] all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatick, and those that had the palsy…”

Matthew 8:16: “When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils…”

Matthew 8:28-34: “And when he [Jesus] was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce…” (KJV; devils are normally translated as demons in other Bible versions).

Matthew 9:32-33: “As they went out, behold, they brought to him a dumb man possessed with a devil.”

Matthew 10:1: “And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.”

Matthew 12:22: “Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb…”

Matt 12:43-45: “When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.”

Matthew 15:22: “And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.”

Matthew 17:14-18: "There came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying, Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed…And Jesus rebuked the devil; "

Mark 1:23: "And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; and he cried out…"
Mark 3:11: “And unclean spirits, when they saw him, fell down before him, and cried…”

Mark 3:22-26: “And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.”

Mark 5:2-20: “…there met him [Jesus] out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit, Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains: Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him. And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones.”

Mark 6:7: “And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits;”

Mark 7:2: “For a certain woman, whose young daughter had an unclean spirit, heard of him, and came and fell at his feet:”

Mark 9:17-25: “I have brought unto thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit; And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away:… and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tare him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming…[Jesus] rebuked the foul spirit…”

Mark 9:38: “…Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us…”

Mark 16:9: “…Jesus…appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.”

Mark 16:17: “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils…”

Luke 4:33: “And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice…”

Luke 4:41: “and devils also came out of many, crying out…”

Luke 8:2-3 “And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils, And Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod’s steward, and Susanna, and many others…”

Luke 8:33: “Then went the devils out of the man, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the lake, and were choked.”

Luke 9:38-42: “…a man of the company cried out, saying, Master, I beseech thee, look upon my son: for he is mine only child. And, lo, a spirit taketh him, and he suddenly crieth out; and it teareth him that he foameth again, and bruising him hardly departeth from him…And Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit…”

Luke 10:17: “And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.”

Luke 11:14: “And he [Jesus] was casting out a devil, and it was dumb…”

Luke 11:15: “But some of them said, He casteth out devils through Beelzebub the chief of the devils.”

John 7:20-21: “The people answered and said, Thou hast a devil: who goeth about to kill thee?”

John 8:48-49: “Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?”

John 10:20: “And many of them said, He hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him?”

A number of references relate to the final destiny of Satan and his demons. They are to be thrust into Hell, described as a lake of fire:

Matthew 25:4: “Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.”

1 Peter 2:4: “For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment.”

Jude 1:6: “And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.”

Revelation 12:9: “And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.”

Demons are also mentioned elsewhere in the Christian Scriptures:

Acts 19:13-16: “And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.”

James 2:19: “Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.”

Revelation 9:20: “And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk”

Various passages describe how Satan can adopt a spirit form, reside inside a person, and influence their thoughts and behavior in the same way as a demon can:

Ephesians 2:2 describes him as a spirit who works within “the children of disobedience.”

John 13:2 describes how Satan “put into” Judas Isariot’s mind the decision to betray Jesus.

Acts 5:3 describes how Satan filled Ananias’ heart with the decision to lie to the Holy Ghost about the proceeds of a real estate sale.

The Book of Jubilees 5:1-6

1 And it came to pass when the children of men began to multiply on the face of the earth and daughters were born unto them, that the angels of God saw them on a certain year of this jubilee, that they were beautiful to look upon; and they took themselves wives of all whom they
2 chose, and they bare unto them sons and they were giants. And lawlessness increased on the earth and all flesh corrupted its way, alike men and cattle and beasts and birds and everything that walks on the earth -all of them corrupted their ways and their orders, and they began to devour each other, and lawlessness increased on the earth and every imagination of the thoughts of all men
3 (was) thus evil continually. And God looked upon the earth, and behold it was corrupt, and all flesh had corrupted its orders, and all that were upon the earth had wrought all manner of evil
4 before His eyes. And He said that He would destroy man and all flesh upon the face of the earth
5,6 which He had created.

The Book of Jubilees 7:21-24

21 from fornication and uncleanness and all iniquity. For owing to these three things came the flood upon the earth, namely, owing to the fornication wherein the Watchers against the law of their ordinances went a whoring after the daughters of men, and took themselves wives of all which they
22 chose: and they made the beginning of uncleanness. And they begat sons the Naphidim, and they were all unlike, and they devoured one another: and the Giants slew the Naphil, and the
23 Naphil slew the Eljo, and the Eljo mankind, and one man another. And every one sold himself
24 to work iniquity and to shed much blood, and the earth was filled with iniquity.

Demonology of The Book of Jubilees:

Demonology. The demonology of our author reappears for the most part in the New Testament:

(a) The angels which kept not their first estate, Jude 6 ; 2 Peter ii. 4, are the angelic watchers who, though sent down to instruct mankind (Jub. iv. 15), fell from lusting after the daughters of men. Their fall and punishment are recorded in Jub. iv. 22, v.1-9.

(b) The demons are the spirits which went forth from the souls of the giants who were the children of the fallen angels, Jub. v. 7, 9. These demons attacked men and ruled over them (x. 3, 6). Their purpose is to corrupt and lead astray and destroy the wicked (x. 8). They are subject to the prince Mastema (x. 9), or Satan. Men sacrifice to them as gods (xxii. 17). They are to pursue their work of moral ruin till the judgement of Mastema (x. 8) or the setting up of the Messianic kingdom, when Satan will be no longer able to injure mankind (xxiii. 29).

So in the New Testament, the demons are disembodied spirits (Matt. xii. 43-5; Luke xi. 24-6). Their chief is Satan (Mark iii. 22). They are treated as divinities of the heathen (I Cor. x. 20). They are not to be punished till the final judgement (Matt. viii. 29). On the advent of the Millennium Satan will be bound (Rev. xx. 2-3).

The Book of Enoch 6,7

[Chapter 6]

1 And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto 2 them beautiful and comely daughters. And the angels, the children of the heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another: ‘Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men 3 and beget us children.’ And Semjaza, who was their leader, said unto them: ‘I fear ye will not 4 indeed agree to do this deed, and I alone shall have to pay the penalty of a great sin.’ And they all answered him and said: ‘Let us all swear an oath, and all bind ourselves by mutual imprecations 5 not to abandon this plan but to do this thing.’ Then sware they all together and bound themselves 6 by mutual imprecations upon it. And they were in all two hundred; who descended in the days of Jared on the summit of Mount Hermon, and they called it Mount Hermon, because they had sworn 7 and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it. And these are the names of their leaders: Samlazaz, their leader, Araklba, Rameel, Kokablel, Tamlel, Ramlel, Danel, Ezeqeel, Baraqijal, 8 Asael, Armaros, Batarel, Ananel, Zaq1el, Samsapeel, Satarel, Turel, Jomjael, Sariel. These are their chiefs of tens.

[Chapter 7]

1 And all the others together with them took unto themselves wives, and each chose for himself one, and they began to go in unto them and to defile themselves with them, and they taught them charms 2 and enchantments, and the cutting of roots, and made them acquainted with plants. And they 3 became pregnant, and they bare great giants, whose height was three thousand ells: Who consumed 4 all the acquisitions of men. And when men could no longer sustain them, the giants turned against 5 them and devoured mankind. And they began to sin against birds, and beasts, and reptiles, and 6 fish, and to devour one another’s flesh, and drink the blood. Then the earth laid accusation against the lawless ones.

Book of Enoch:

And I looked and turned to another part of the earth, and saw there a deep valley with burning
fire. And they brought the kings and the mighty, and began to cast them into this deep valley.
And there mine eyes saw how they made these their instruments, iron chains of immeasurable weight.
And I asked the angel of peace who went with me, saying: ‘For whom are these chains being prepared?’ And he said unto me: ‘These are being prepared for the hosts of Azâzêl, so that they may take them and cast them into the abyss of complete condemnation, and they shall cover their jaws with rough stones as the Lord of Spirits commanded.
And Michael, and Gabriel, and Raphael, and Phanuel shall take hold of them on that great day, and cast them on that day into the burning furnace, that the Lord of Spirits may take vengeance on them for their unrighteousness in becoming subject to Satan and leading astray those who dwell on the earth.’

The Book of Jubilees:

Chapter 10]

1 And in the third week of this jubilee the unclean demons began to lead astray the children of
2 the sons of Noah, and to make to err and destroy them. And the sons of Noah came to Noah their father, and they told him concerning the demons which were leading astray and blinding and
3 slaying his sons’ sons. And he prayed before the Lord his God, and said:
'God of the spirits of all flesh, who hast shown mercy unto me
And hast saved me and my sons from the waters of the flood,
And hast not caused me to perish as Thou didst the sons of perdition;

For Thy grace has been great towards me,
And great has been Thy mercy to my soul;

Let Thy grace be lift up upon my sons,
And let not wicked spirits rule over them
Lest they should destroy them from the earth.

4 But do Thou bless me and my sons, that we may increase and Multiply and replenish the earth.
5 And Thou knowest how Thy Watchers, the fathers of these spirits, acted in my day: and as for these spirits which are living, imprison them and hold them fast in the place of condemnation, and let them not bring destruction on the sons of thy servant, my God; for these are malignant, and
6 created in order to destroy. And let them not rule over the spirits of the living; for Thou alone canst exercise dominion over them. And let them not have power over the sons of the righteous
7,8 from henceforth and for evermore.’ And the Lord our God bade us to bind all. And the chief of the spirits, Mastema, came and said: 'Lord, Creator, let some of them remain before me, and let them harken to my voice, and do all that I shall say unto them; for if some of them are not left to me, I shall not be able to execute the power of my will on the sons of men; for these are for corruption and leading astray before my judgment, for great is the wickedness of the sons of men.‘
9 And He said: Let the tenth part of them remain before him, and let nine parts descend into the
10 place of condemnation.’ And one of us He commanded that we should teach Noah all their
11 medicines; for He knew that they would not walk in uprightness, nor strive in righteousness. And we did according to all His words: all the malignant evil ones we bound in the place of condemna-
12 tion and a tenth part of them we left that they might be subject before Satan on the earth. And we explained to Noah all the medicines of their diseases, together with their seductions, how he
13 might heal them with herbs of the earth. And Noah wrote down all things in a book as we instructed him concerning every kind of medicine. Thus the evil spirits were precluded from
14 (hurting) the sons of Noah. And he gave all that he had written to Shem, his eldest son; for he
15 loved him exceedingly above all his sons.

The Book of Wisdom 2:24

24 But by the envy of the devil, death entered the world, and they who are in his possession experience it.

The Secret Book of Enoch (Slavonic Enoch) 29:2-4

2 And from the rock I cut off a great fire, and from the fire I created the orders of the incorporeal ten troops of angels, and their weapons are fiery and their raiment a burning flame, and I commanded that each one should stand in his order.

3 And one from out the order of angels, having turned away with the order that was under him, conceived an impossible thought, to place his throne higher than the clouds above the earth, that he might become equal in rank to my power.

4 And I threw him out from the height with his angels, and he was flying in the air continuously above the bottomless.

THE MARTYRDOM OF ISAIAH 2:1-6

1 And it came to pass after that Hezekiah died and Manasseh became king, that he did not remember the commands of Hezekiah his father but forgat them, and Sammael abode in Manasseh

2 and clung fast to him. And Manasseh forsook the service of the God of his father, and he served

3 Satan and his angels and his powers. And he turned aside the house of his father which had been

4 before the face of Hezekiah the words of wisdom and from the service of God. And Manasseh turned aside his heart to serve Beliar; for the angel of lawlessness, who is the ruler of this world, is Beliar, whose name is Matanbuchus. And he delighted in Jerusalem because of Manasseh, and he made him strong in apostatizing (Israel) and in the lawlessness which was spread abroad in Jerusalem

5 And witchcraft and magic increased and divination and augulation, and fornication, [and adultery], and the persecution of the righteous by Manasseh and [Belachira, and] Tobia the Canaanite, and John

6 of Anathoth, and by (Zadok> the chief of the works

The Book of Tobit 6:3-8 and 6:17

6:3 Then the angel said unto him, Take the fish. And the young man laid hold of the fish, and drew it to land.

6:4 To whom the angel said, Open the fish, and take the heart and the liver and the gall, and put them up safely.

6:5 So the young man did as the angel commanded him; and when they had roasted the fish, they did eat it: then they both went on their way, till they drew near to Ecbatane.

6:6 Then the young man said to the angel, Brother Azarias, to what use is the heart and the liver and the gal of the fish?

6:7 And he said unto him, Touching the heart and the liver, if a devil or an evil spirit trouble any, we must make a smoke thereof before the man or the woman, and the party shall be no more vexed.

6:8 As for the gall, it is good to anoint a man that hath whiteness in his eyes, and he shall be healed.

6:17 And the devil shall smell it, and flee away, and never come again any more: but when thou shalt come to her, rise up both of you, and pray to God which is merciful, who will have pity on you, and save you: fear not, for she is appointed unto thee from the beginning; and thou shalt preserve her, and she shall go with thee. Moreover I suppose that she shall bear thee children. Now when Tobias had heard these things, he loved her, and his heart was effectually joined to her.

Gospel of Nicodemus

Chapter 7 (23).

And Hades receiving Satan, said to him: Beelzebul, heir of fire and punishment, enemy of the saints, through what necessity did you bring about that the King of glory should be crucified, so that he should come here and deprive us of our power? Turn and see that not one of the dead has been left in me, but all that you have gained through the tree of knowledge, all have you lost through the tree of the cross: and all your joy has been turned into grief; and wishing to put to death the King of glory, you have put yourself to death. For, since I have received you to keep you safe, by experience shall you learn how many evils I shall do unto you. O arch-devil, the beginning of death, root of sin, end of all evil, what evil did you find in Jesus, that you should compass his destruction? how have you dared to do such evil? how have you busied yourself to bring down such a man into this darkness, through whom you have been deprived of all who have died from eternity?

To the best of my knowledge they are the same, but don’t quote me on that one.

What do you guys think about Demons possibly being the disembodied spirits of the Nephilum when they died in the flood? That is the demonology laid out according to the Book of Jubilees (non cannon except to Ethiopian Orthodox).

Why Did the Demons of Legion in the Gospels want to be put into the pigs? Do Demons need to be inhabiting a Form? Does Satan NEED to inhabit a form or can he move around in his angelic body like God’s Angels?

So do God’s Angels need to posses an fleshly form? If not, why do Fallen Angels need to or find comfort in it? If fallen angels have their own form, what are these demons that want to inhabit peoples and animals forms?

Well, surely being sent into pigs is better than being sent to Hell!

From what I’ve read, demons have no need of inhabiting an physical form-thingy. Plenty of stories where they’re just trailing along behind folks, flying in the sky in such a multitude as to block out the sun, tossing a monk about a chapel, dragging a soldier from a confessional, taking the confessional and priest inside with him…

That being said, I’d imagine there’s a deal more evil one could perpetrate hiding inside a human being as opposed to walking about looking monstrous. Not that they have to adopt monstrous forms…

Were the Pigs and Hell their only choices? Why not send the demons into the air like a cloud?

Demons are those angels who fell from Heaven. They go by many names:
Devils
Demons
Princes of darkness
Evil spirits
Evil angels
Fallen angels
Dark spirits
Forces of Hell
Forces of darkness
Forces of evil
Unclean spirits
Rebellious angels
Tempters
Testers
Seducerers
Slanderers
Liars
Murderers
Thiefs
Envious spirits
Damned spirits
Enemies of God
Enemies of man
Enemies of Christ
Enemies of the Church
Enemies of Heaven
Metaphorical names could include fallen stars, bears, lions, sea monsters, etc.

Interesting responses

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.