Fallen away Catholics

It angers me when these articles are written about people who leave their Catholic faith because they did not understand it. The article always seems to justify their decision!!! :mad:

religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/19/recovering-catholics-reveal-spiritual-journeys/?hpt=hp_c1

I have always found CNN to have an anti-catholic bent.

I spare myself the agony and never read or watch it. Based on their recent ratings many others have stopped watching too.

This seems more like a tract for Arvada Covenant Church than actual stories by fallen away Catholics.

It is sad about fallen away Catholics, but perhaps their need to "blame the Church" and justify themselves bespeaks an uncomfortable tension that is not present when a Protestant switches to another Protestant denomination or becomes Catholic.

Some people are honestly searching for a deeper relationship with Jesus and start seeking him everywhere but in His Father's house. Others have a pet sin that they'd rather not repent of and find a liberal church (sometimes Catholic) that doesn't make them feel uncomfortable with calls to repentance.

But the real Church has an indefatigable enemy in Satan that wants to pull people out of the Church Jesus died to found. And to present counter-teaching to the Holy Spirit.

He'd like to plant weeds in the field too (enemies of the Church within the Church) too, but that's another subject.

As for us, who feel badly about our bitter fallen away and critical brethren, Jesus reminds us (among other things):

John 15:17 This I command you: love one another.

18 "If the world hates you, realize that it hated me first.

19 If you belonged to the world, the world would love its own; but because you do not belong to the world, and I have chosen you out of the world, the world hates you.

20 Remember the word I spoke to you, ** 'No slave is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you.** If they kept my word, they will also keep yours.

Yes, He was speaking to the apostles (and hence Church leadership), but most of the passage applies to we lay believers too.

[quote="Mickey, post:1, topic:288555"]
It angers me when these articles are written about people who leave their Catholic faith because they did not understand it. The article always seems to justify their decision!!! :mad:

religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/19/recovering-catholics-reveal-spiritual-journeys/?hpt=hp_c1

[/quote]

But as an Eastern Orthodox convert, wouldn't you celebrate other Catholics leaving a Christian group you would deem to be in error?

[quote="Trebor135, post:5, topic:288555"]
But as an Eastern Orthodox convert, wouldn't you celebrate other Catholics leaving a Christian group you would deem to be in error?

[/quote]

The Catholic Church has much in common with Holy Orthodoxy. I was part of the Latin Catholic Church for more than 38 years and Eastern Catholic for close to ten years. It always grieves me to see someone leave the Catholic Church after being drawn to the "altar call" theology of the countless protestant affiliations.

Obviously, if the article was about migration to the Holy Orthodox Church....I would not have made a comment. ;)

Anti-Catholic article in a blog

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.