False hoods about Catholicism

on a church in a neighboring town the bill board read

" Catholicism teaches that infants are born again through baptisim"

that really disturbed me and my wife. I recently converted , she has been a Catholic her whole life and we’ve never heard such things.

Another time he had " Catholics are not Christian"

How do the rest of you practicing Catholics deal with the prejudice?

Pray

sigh

I’m sure others may have better suggestions, but I’d start there.

[quote=LMB]on a church in a neighboring town the bill board read

that really disturbed me and my wife. I recently converted , she has been a Catholic her whole life and we’ve never heard such things.

[/quote]

Certainly, we are born again through baptism-- that is the proper definition of John 3:6. The person is inadvertently preaching the truth in this case.

But, as to falsehoods-- I ignore them.

[quote=LMB]How do the rest of you practicing Catholics deal with the prejudice?
[/quote]

Prejudice? HA. Many times it’s more like downright *persecution! *In these cases, I offer it up to God as a sacrifice. Then at least my suffering doesn’t go to waste.:wink:

if i were you, don’t just pray,report it to your parish priest and ask for his advice.you can also contact catholicleague.org and report this incident.there are over 200,000 members of this org and they will take actions legally.they have been very effective in combatting anti-catholicsm in this country.phil donahue is the president of this org.he appears occassionally on cnn,fox news channel et al.

peace,
silvano

I am past 70, and I cannot remember a serious anti-Catholic act in my presence. I have heard a few anti-Catholic jokes or stories but nothing worth talking about.

Now if I heard that a man was fired or demoted because they found out he was Catholic, then I’d fire up.

personally, i would walk into the church and tell the pastor that if i ever saw something like that up there again i would be forced to take legal action…cause you know that stuff would never fly if it was about jews…but it seems like catholicism is always fair game–just look at the d’vinci code.
i’d educate him too. i’ve already had to educate some other students (even a grad student) in my medieval studies class this term on catholicism. give him the website for catholic.com and tell him to read up before making assumptions based on heresay and opinion.

[quote=silvano]if i were you, don’t just pray,report it to your parish priest and ask for his advice.you can also contact catholicleague.org and report this incident.there are over 200,000 members of this org and they will take actions legally.they have been very effective in combatting anti-catholicsm in this country.phil donahue is the president of this org.he appears occassionally on cnn,fox news channel et al.
[/quote]

Actually, it’s Bill Donahue that’s the president of the Catholic League. *Phil * Donahue is that liberal CatholicInNameOnly talk show host who’s married to Marlo Thomas (no accounting for taste, I guess). :rolleyes:

I think I would go see the pastor of that church and tell him how morally offensinve I found his Catholic bashing. Then for good measure tell him that there is something fundamentally wrong with a church that bases it’s doctrine on what is wrong with another church. As I was leaving I would let him know that I would be praying for God to melt his hardened heart to love his neighbors even the Catholic ones.

[/quote]

I try my best to tell the truth about Catholicism. I Try to be as orthodox as possible to the teachings of Holy mother Church.

What I find out there is that people are driven by the ignorance of what Catholics believe and that is true also, sad to say, to some Catholics.

When opportunity arises to explain my faith, I jump on it. But I’m never ashamed to say I don’t know. This just tells me that I have a lot more to learn about my own faith and I try to find the answers even if it takes me months to find.

I trust in the Lord that He will give me the words to witness for His Bride. I’m always confident in the Church for it was built on ROCK solid ground. I always tell my fellow Catholics that if you have questions you’ll definitely find it in your own House.

[/quote]

The first is one is perfectly true; infants are indeed reborn through baptism.

As for the second - it’s a perfectly understandable idea, given the historical record of the Church at various times. I don’t see that we can complain, since we often sound equally ungracious in our assessments of their Christian character. They are perfectly entitled to think of us as we have thought of them.

I certainly don’t see any prejudice - merely an unfavourable assessment of Catholicism; which may quite possibly be a logical deduction from the theological principles of the Church in question. ##

[quote=Gottle of Geer]## The first is one is perfectly true; infants are indeed reborn through baptism.

As for the second - it’s a perfectly understandable idea, given the historical record of the Church at various times. I don’t see that we can complain, since we often sound equally ungracious in our assessments of their Christian character. They are perfectly entitled to think of us as we have thought of them.

I certainly don’t see any prejudice - merely an unfavourable assessment of Catholicism; which may quite possibly be a logical deduction from the theological principles of the Church in question. ##
[/quote]

Hey yes, The first is true, but I have to disagree with the “historical record” of the Church part. Both sides have historical blemishes. Take the “witch hunts” in certain Protestant areas, more individuals were killed during those than by the Inquisition. (Historical records from Inquisition courts show the fabrication of the allegations blowing numbers out of proportion). Neither side should go around look what your ancestors did, therefore you are not Christians. Were sins committed by Catholics in history, yes. Protestants, yes. I would have to talk to the pastor why the sign was posted the way it was. My concern lies in the danger of generalizations on BOTH sides. Since some did this, all Protestants or all Catholics are implicated. Respect has to be shown on both sides in the pursuit of Faith as the present individuals seek God and the Truth. Thanks and God Bless.

LMB you have come to the right place! there are plenty of anti Protestant bigots, here, who can teach you how to give it right back to the anti Catholic bigots! Take notes! :slight_smile:

[quote=Lilyofthevalley]LMB you have come to the right place! there are plenty of anti Protestant bigots, here, who can teach you how to give it right back to the anti Catholic bigots! Take notes! :slight_smile:
[/quote]

That’s correct. From the protestants, on the other hand, you’ll only find charitable uplifting posts like this one. ^^^

[quote=slinky1882]Hey yes, The first is true, but I have to disagree with the “historical record” of the Church part. Both sides have historical blemishes.
[/quote]

True - however, it is not the Protestants who are being criticised, but the CC. Besides, counter-attacking with mentions of Protestant failures does nothing to show that the CC is innocent of fault; it shows only that Catholics can think of a few things of which to accuse their accusers.

It’s a very poor sort of argument, IMO - because people don’t like hearing their “group” criticised, so criticism, in a heated atmosphere, such as that of all too many religious discussions, tends to annoy, rather than to illuminate or edify; leaving people even more defensive than before. ##

Take the “witch hunts” in certain Protestant areas, more individuals were killed during those than by the Inquisition. (Historical records from Inquisition courts show the fabrication of the allegations blowing numbers out of proportion). Neither side should go around look what your ancestors did, therefore you are not Christians. Were sins committed by Catholics in history, yes. Protestants, yes. I would have to talk to the pastor why the sign was posted the way it was. My concern lies in the danger of generalizations on BOTH sides. Since some did this, all Protestants or all Catholics are implicated. Respect has to be shown on both sides in the pursuit of Faith as the present individuals seek God and the Truth. Thanks and God Bless.

[quote=Exporter]I am past 70, and I cannot remember a serious anti-Catholic act in my presence. I have heard a few anti-Catholic jokes or stories but nothing worth talking about.

Now if I heard that a man was fired or demoted because they found out he was Catholic, then I’d fire up.
[/quote]

I don’t know whether this qualifies as “in my presence”, but three years ago on a trip to Switzerland I was visiting the medieval cathedral of Sion. I slipped into a side classroom reserved for cathechism study and noticed that a Marian educational display had been vandalized by a passing Protestant “tourist”.

Irenicist

Something very similar happened here recently. It was after JP the Great’s passing. One of the local Baptist church had on their sign, “Following a false Pope will lead you to hell” :bigyikes:

It was mentioned on the news, the pastor of the church was interviewed, in which he stated “We are free to express what our church believes”

The next day, the sign was removed and the word “Censured” in it’s place.

Besides the obvious, I have a question that I wished one the reporters would have asked. The statement mentioned a false Pope, implying JP the Great. So…if he is a false Pope, who is the real Pope. Don’t you have to have a “real” to have a “false”? :confused:

Just one those things that made me go “HMMMM” for the day.:hmmm:

I soon passed on any comment. :cool:

[/quote]

LMB, you never did mention what kind of denomination this church in question is. While the 1st statement is, I think true, what matters is that this church seems to be trying to “get people’s goat” as far as Catholicism goes. I’m curious as to why they would single out Catholics in your area.
Where I live, nobody would even attempt such a billboard (WAY too many Catholics here!), however, I know quite a few members of one “community church” who are always gloating about how many “recovering Catholics” they now have in their congregation. Never a word about “recovering” Jews, Muslims, AME’s, Universalist Unitarians, or even Wiccans. Again, I can’t figure out why they seem to single out one religion, and when the question is put to them, the response is usually something vague and unconvincing.
Now I’ll be the 1st to admit that I’m not a good, orthodox Catholic (I think the word used a lot on these forums is “cafeteria”), but it still annoys me when I hear things like this. I too think it would be a good idea to speak with the pastor of this church and find out what makes him tick (too many Jack Chick pamphlets, perhaps?).
Good luck, and don’t let silly billboards upset you too much!

Peace.

Post #2 for me! :slight_smile: I am a protestant, and I too would recommend speaking to the pastor. Stuff like this gives us protestants a bad name, and I for one can’t stand it. First, are we not all brothers in Christ, protestant and Catholic alike? Such rude and offensive language towards fellow Christians is ridiculous. Further, what is the point? You are trying to convert a Christian… to Christianity? It makes NO sense logically. Finally, even if aimed at a religion one might aim to evangelize to, rude and offensive signs are hardly the way to evangelize. We Christians are to lead by example, and love our fellow men, not talk down to them with silly billboards.

Ahh well I guess that’s enough ranting for me :stuck_out_tongue:

I would call the office of that church and make an appointment to see the pastor and ask him why he put stuff like that on his signs. I’d be polite and patient, but I’d ask him how he’d feel if there was a sign somewhere in town that said something similar about his beliefs. I would not engage in a debate about diff beliefs, I’d simply address the reason for the negative message on his sign.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.