Famed Fr. Corapi Calls Canadian Bishops' Dissent from Humanae Vitae "Catastrophic"

By Patrick B. Craine
June 30, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - In an interview with Legatus Magazine, to be published in the July/August issue, Fr. John Corapi criticizes the Canadian bishops for their rejection of Pope Paul VI’s 1968 encyclical Humanae Vitae in their signing of the “infamous Winnipeg Statement.” The statement, released shortly after the release of the pope’s encylical, undercut Paul VI’s unambiguous denunciation of all use of artificial contraception, indicating that Catholic couples might be able to use contraception in good conscience.

“One can recall what happened during the tenure of Pope Paul VI,” says Fr. Corapi in the interview, “when he came out with his landmark and prophetic encyclical Humanae Vitae. Significant numbers of bishops, priests, theologians and others rejected it. They absolutely rejected it. The majority of Canadian bishops signed the infamous Winnipeg Statement that just categorically rejected Humanae Vitae. That kind of rebellion is catastrophic.”

On September 27th, 1968, two months after Humanae Vitae was put out, the Canadian Catholic Bishops released their controversial Winnipeg Statement. The most infamous passage, paragraph 26, opens the door for the moral use of contraception, in contradiction to the pope’s encyclical, saying that if a couple has “tried sincerely but without success to pursue a line of conduct in keeping with the given directives, they may be safely assured that, whoever honestly chooses that course which seems right to him does so in good conscience.”

Full article…

Not just in Canada, but everywhere.

He’s right, but the generation that did that deed is losing power to a new generation that will have none of that un-Catholic nonsense. Yesterday, our Archbishop, Michael Miller, received his Pallium. Just a couple of years ago, he was Secretary of the Congregation for Catholic Education. He succeeded to the Vancouver Archdiocese on 2 Jan last. Methinks he was placed back in Canada, in a Metropolitan See, with the purpose of providing more leadership to faithful Catholics, who will have no more of that academic-inspired mumbo-jumbo that was the Winnipeg declaration.

There’s work to do to repair the damage, but I think there’s reason to be hopeful. Those who did the damage have shot their bolt.

Blessings,

Gerry

I agree with Fr. Corapi.
I heard his testimony on cd.
He had a great conversion.
Here in Ireland we have had poor leadership from priests and bishops for too long.
Never mention sin and dont upset the people was the attitude.
We all have a lot of prayer and penance to do.
I joined the Legion of Mary last year and it is going very well.
Howard Wallace.
Dublin,
Ireland.
with a young sister in CA.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the Church always goes through times like this, when the priests and bishops don’t follow the Pope or the Church’s teaching.

But, the good news is, it’s always followed up by a group that gets things back on track. The vast majority of young priests that I’ve seen in the last decade or two have been incredibly faithful to Church teaching and obedient to the Pope. When these guys come up for bishops, and some already are, look out! They’re going to be dynamite!

I remember talking to one young priest on a Saturday. We had a Rosary group that would meet in church at 6:30am every Saturday and say all fifteen decades. He was invited and joined us. We would meet, afterwards, at one of the restaurants in town for coffee and biscuits and lots of chat. Someone offered this young priest breakfast and he said, “No thank you. I can only have orange juice. I fast on Wednesday’s and Saturday’s.” We thought that was a wonderful example. Someone then asked him, “Father, that’s great! How long have you been doing this?!” He said, “Since I was seven.” WOW! That’s what we need!

I hope I live long enough to see the whole transformation! :slight_smile:

Maybe that’s why in his wisdom, Pope Benedict named this year the year of the priest…so that more of our priests and bishops will revert to tenets of St.John Vianney, the patron of priests…who solidly believed and acted to support the faith in all ways, particularly in the protection of life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.