Famed pastor predicts imminent catastrophe

TESTING THE FAITH
Famed pastor predicts imminent catastrophe
Best-selling author, Teen Challenge founder, sees ‘earth-shattering calamity about to happen’

Posted: March 08, 2009
3:15 am Eastern

© 2009 WorldNetDaily

A respected pastor, best-selling author and founder of a major ministry to teens predicts an imminent “earth-shattering calamity” centered in New York City that will spread to major urban areas across the country and around the world – part of what he sees as a judgment from God.

David Wilkerson, author of “The Cross and the Switchblade,” a book about his ministry to troubled New York street kids that was later made into a movie starring Pat Boone, tells readers of his blog this weekend that he is “compelled by the Holy Spirit to send out an urgent message” about his prediction.

“An earth-shattering calamity is about to happen,” he writes. “It is going to be so frightening, we are all going to tremble – even the godliest among us.”

Wilkerson’s vision is of fires raging through New York City.

“It will engulf the whole megaplex, including areas of New Jersey and Connecticut. Major cities all across America will experience riots and blazing fires – such as we saw in Watts, Los Angeles, years ago,” he explains. "There will be riots and fires in cities worldwide. There will be looting – including Times Square, New York City. What we are experiencing now is not a recession, not even a depression. We are under God’s wrath. In Psalm 11 it is written, “If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?”

In this age of evil, be a champion for God and stand up for the absolute truth of Scripture, not the misconceptions you’ve been led to believe. Get “Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You’ve Never Been Told” personally autographed!

Wilkerson is the founding pastor of Times Square Church in New York City, where he launched a ministry to gang members and drug addicts in 1958. He is a highly regarded mentor to other pastors in evangelical circles and travels the world holding conferences for other Christian ministers.

His work in New York in the 1950s and 1960s led to the formation of Teen Challenge – a nationwide ministry to reach out to people with life-controlling habits. Teen Challenge has grown to include 173 residential programs and numerous evangelism outreach centers in the United States, and 241 centers in 77 other countries. The program claims a recovery rate of 86 percent.

The story of Wilkerson’s first five years of ministry in New York is told in “The Cross and the Switchblade,” a book he co-authored in 1963. The book became a best-selling phenomenon and more than 15 million copies have been distributed in over 30 languages.

“God is judging the raging sins of America and the nations,” claims Wilkerson. “He is destroying the secular foundations.” Wilkerson urges everyone to stockpile a 30-day supply of food and other necessities to deal with the catastrophe he foresees.

“I do not know when these things will come to pass, but I know it is not far off,” Wilkerson concluded in his message. “I have unburdened my soul to you. Do with the message as you choose.”

A past vice president of the Southern Baptist Convention is hoping believers pay attention to Wilkerson’s message.

“I have known David Wilkerson for more than 25 years as well as many of his friends and associates,” said Pastor Wiley Drake. “He is a godly man and I believe he is listening to God. I encourage each Christian to read and heed what God is saying through our brother.”

Two sides:

1. Things like this always come about when things get tough economically or if war looms

2. Of course 2012 is approaching very soon :slight_smile:

I am not a big fan of the president who said this but the saying does come to mind…“We have nothing to fear but fear itself.”

Noted apocalyptic author Hal Lindsey predicted that the antichrist and his demonic minions would assert dominion over the planet in the guise of space aliens. Of course, this was supposed to happen in the 80’s, so I’m not sure if it happened or not. If anyone noticed aliens ruling us with an iron fist (congressional Democrats don’t count), set me straight.

We already have an earth-shattering catastrophe going on. If we could see the true spiritual ramifications of it, we’d never leave our houses for fear of the fire that might come raining from the skies at any moment. That catastrophe is, of course, abortion.

The body count alone dwarfs any natural disasters, but the fact that it is deliberate–that it is widely regarded in the culture as good and righteous–shows that we are already facing God’s judgment. He is leaving us to our own devices as we turn away from Him. We don’t need nukes or biological weapons–we are actively building Hell on Earth.

Hear hear!!!

ABSOLUTELY!! And the hits just keep on coming !! President Obama will overturn the ban on embryonic stem cell research today foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/03/09/obama-lift-restrictions-stem-cell-research-funding/ and a story came out stating that Americans are turning away from religion. foxnews.com/story/0,2933,506849,00.html

So are any of us really surprised that the end is near or that people feel the end is near. Read the Diary of St. Faustina. Pray for God’s Divine Mercy on us and the whole world.

I would like to know why lightning bolts aren’t striking thousands of people dead daily.

I’m not kidding.I’m serious.

Obama’s overturning the ban on embryonic stem cell research is no different than “harvesting” people for their spare parts.

You know, the world comes to an end for thousands of people everyday. I wouldn’t really put too much stock in what this pastor says although everybody is entitled to their opinion. My wife and stepson were discussing this very thing last nite. He said they had Brother Jerimeih at their church yesterday, and he was ranting about this very thing, so I guess it’s the thing right now. He was selling cds and books also. Just trying to drum up business I guess. I heard one on the radio that said the world would end in 6 months, and then proceded to sell tickets for a cruise they were sponsoring around Christmas time. Go figure.

I’m staying away from NYC right now.

Pastors have been predicting the imminent end of the world since the first century of Christianity. The Apocalypse is always just around the corner, but never seems to arrive.

Pray tell, what does 2012 have to do with anything?

What does the Mayan calendar have to do with the Catholic Faith?

Huh?

Humor folks…hhhhuuuuuuummmmmoooooorrrrrrrrr
Quit taking yourselves so seriously…

Apparently this is the same pastor who had a premonition about 9/11 and stayed up all night on 9/10 making sandwiches even though he didn’t know why or for whom. When the first plane hit, his church was ready with 2,000 sandwiches to minister to the victims and rescue workers in NY. Interesting.

I think it is a good idea for everyone to have at least a couple of weeks’ worth of emergency food and supplies. You never know when a disaster will strike–local, regional, national, or international. :wink:

i receive a newsletter that mentioned this pastor and his premonition about 9/11 also. i don’t know if i believe that they were actually up all night on 9/10 making PB & J sandwiches. if that is really true, then we should be really afraid that something is about to happen soon. i don’t know how far in advance he had his premonition before he decided it was time to make the sandwiches. he seems to be a respected pastor and i do remember the book and movie the cross and the switchblade.

Heard about this on a conservative talk show on the radio. Dave Wilkerson has been making these same predictions since the 1960s.
In the old testament, a prophet whose prediction didn’t occur asap was stoned. Mr Wilkerson is fortunate he didn’t live then.

well, it seems one of them came true - perhaps by coincidence.

Well, if you look at today’s blog entry, you’ll see that he has never claimed to be a prophet. A prophet would tell the people that his messages come from G_D by prefacing what he says with, “Thus saith the Lord:” – in other words, what he is saying next comes directly from G_D. Not only were false prophets stoned, but G_D promised extra special retribution for those who falsely made statements in His name. Also, “ASAP” in terms of prophesy isn’t the same thing as breaking a dentist’s appointment. If, in any of Rev. Wilkerson’s writings or sermons, he had given dates and the dates turned out to be incorrect, then you would have a point.

Rev. Wilkerson has never claimed to be a prophet. That is an office, a position established by G_D. Instead, one of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit is the gift of Prophesy. This is not the same thing – one is an office, the other is an anointing. Paul wrote that while speaking in tongues was good, he would much prefer that Christians speak prophesies. In order to prophesize and to prophesize accurately, you must be fully open to the charisms of the Holy Spirit. The purpose of a prophesy is to give warning, to tell people that they must change their course and return to G_D, or they will suffer chastisement. If the people refuse to change, then the prophesy becomes messages on how the faithful are to prepare for and how to behave during the coming chastisement.

To answer your question, 7 Sorrows, he had his premonition about six weeks before 9/11. The first thing he did was not to make sandwiches. It was to cancel things. He didn’t know the exact nature of what was to come, only that he needed to cancel all the workshops, seminars, etc. that his ministry had planned to do in the near future. Instead, for the next six weeks, there were no sermons in his church, only constant prayer.

I believe it is too late to keep the coming Chastisement from striking the world, including America. I do believe that our prayers can help us minimize its devastation.

But it is coming.

Well that’s comforting I live in New York right now!:smiley:

i like this one better:

we have nothing to fear except not facing our fears…

Save the cheerleader, save the world.

… I have no idea why I just said that! :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.