Families Lose Parish Churches

The local parish church and school have long played a major role in the lives of Catholic families. But all that is changing.

Now, in the Archdiocese of St. Paul, MN, 21 parishes (of 213) will be closed, and others will be "clustered" with shared staff, programs, and pastors.

Five parishes in St. Paul, and three more in Minneapolis, will be among those to close their doors to worshippers. Down the street from my home, the former Holy Family Catholic Church is now a mosque. My own mother's suburban church will be shuttered, as well. Many Catholic schools are also expected to shut down.

Demographic changes, priest shortage, and financial pressures are behind this retrenchment. Many families will lose their long established home parish identities.

I believe this bodes ill for the church, as a strong and vital force in Catholic family life.

Back in Boston, according to Boston.com, there has been a protest against parish closures. Paul Hughes, a leader of the protesters occupying the closed St. James the Great parish in Wellesley, said, "To me it's a reflection of the comparison of how the Catholic religion was back in the era of Pope John XXIII, when it was vibrant and strong, and the Catholic religion we have today, which reflects a defensive posture and a rigid structure."

Are parishes being closed in your community?

What can be done to stem this disaster?

We've been in a cluster for some time.

It's more important than ever to foster vocations and participate in Adoration for Vocations.

I think it is terrible what is going on and also the hit that charities are taking. All I can say is, I'm working on conversion at the moment, but I've got four kids, three of them boys, and I'm hoping at least one of them will become a priest. I'd be very proud if at least one did that. :thumbsup:

As far as I know, there haven’t been any parish closings in my diocese. In my parish in particular we’ve been growing so fast we can’t keep up! It has 21,000 members now even though it had only 18,000 just a couple of years ago! :eek: We’ve had to pull a priest out of retirement and import a couple from Africa just to keep things running. I think we have five priests right now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.