Families Need attention!

Ok,

I was on the phone with my friend who's in his mid 40's. I'm in my mid 20's and we both have similar tases in religion, music, TV(neither of us watch much) and books.

But the cultural differences are shocking. Last night he asked me to think about a functional family that I knew that did "x". I actually only know one funtional family...mom, dad, kids....and her parents as an "adult" family.

At this he was very startled. As kid very few families divorced and there weren't many single parents. I grew up in a town with an industry that has a notorisouly high divorce rate...over 50% in the mid 90's. And even in a private, Catholic college quite a few of my friends didn't come from intact families. Only one girl in our group of 5 lived with her mom married to her dad with sibilings competely related to her.

I think that the church should get serious about praying for good vocations to the family life.

Growing up in the 90s, about half of my peers were from families broken by divorce. When I became a teacher, I realized divorce isn’t the main issue anymore - it’s single motherhood. There are just as many kids now who were born out of wedlock and have an absentee father as there are children whose parents have gone through a divorce. In some populations, it’s far, far more! The effect on the children is huge.

So, I agree completely that the Church needs to focus a lot of attention on promoting marriage and family life. I am seeing lots of strides in that direction, but there is a lot of work to do. Secular society is hard at work trying to discourage, redefine, and break apart families.

I’d suggest collecting the reasons why couples divorce and then focus on developing the coping skills and virtues that are necessary to battle against those destructive forces.

[quote="SeaShoreGirl, post:1, topic:225144"]
Ok,

I was on the phone with my friend who's in his mid 40's. I'm in my mid 20's and we both have similar tases in religion, music, TV(neither of us watch much) and books.

But the cultural differences are shocking. Last night he asked me to think about a functional family that I knew that did "x". I actually only know one funtional family...mom, dad, kids....and her parents as an "adult" family.

At this he was very startled. As kid very few families divorced and there weren't many single parents. I grew up in a town with an industry that has a notorisouly high divorce rate...over 50% in the mid 90's. And even in a private, Catholic college quite a few of my friends didn't come from intact families. Only one girl in our group of 5 lived with her mom married to her dad with sibilings competely related to her.

I think that the church should get serious about praying for good vocations to the family life.

[/quote]

I think the Church is quite serious about praying for good vocations and the family life. Perhaps its the people that need to step up and take responsibility for their issues and take the marriage vocation more seriously. The Church has all the tools to help families, but people have to WANT to use them.

:clapping::clapping:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.