Families want justice for suspects killed after robbery of Krick's Korner store in Reading

READING, Pa. -

Twenty-four hours after two men were killed during a botched robbery in Reading, the corner store where it happened was open again for business Tuesday.

Crowds gathered outside Krick’s Korner, 1671 N. 9th St., and candles flickered on the sidewalk Tuesday.

Two masked men armed with guns burst inside the store Monday afternoon. They were met by a man described by officials as a “concerned citizen,” who witnessed the robbery in progress.

“He saw the first suspect with his arms extended, holding a large revolver, and he looked and saw a second suspect, also with his arms extended,” said Sgt. John Solecki, Reading Police Dept.

That citizen, whose name has not been released, called 911. When the two men came outside, they threatened him, and the tables were turned, said police.

The store owner had no comment Tuesday, but former city councilman and store regular, Mike Schorn, spoke on his behalf.

“He’s so sad by the whole thing because it’s bad for his business, and it’s very sad for the obvious result,” said Schorn.

Alexander Garcia-Bialek was charged Tuesday, keeping his head down as he was led out of police headquarters overnight.

Garcia-Bialek, 21, was picked up at his home in Fleetwood, and police are calling him the would-be getaway driver.

“He was charged as an accomplice because he was involved in the planning of this robbery where they targeted that store,” said Solecki.

Garcia-Bialek is facing second degree murder and conspiracy charges.

Police said they are confident no one else was involved in the robbery.

Meantime, family members of the two masked men spoke out Tuesday.

“It’s not fair,” said Virginia Medina, mother of 24-year-old William Medina, who police said robbed Krick’s Korner store alongside 18-year-old Robert De Carr on Monday.

The two men were shot and killed by a private citizen while leaving the store, and family members want to see charges pressed.

**"[William] had no right to lose his life over something that man could have called the police for," said Medina. “He took the law into his own hands and walked away scot-free.”

“How about if people just start running around here, policing the city on their own? How much worse is it going to get?” said Peter Ratel, Medina’s cousin.

The family members said they are hurt by comments suggesting the alleged robbers were “thugs.”
According to Medina, William was “no big hard criminal” and was rather a family-man who loved his young daughter.

Robert De Carr was described similarly by his sister, Taylor De Carr.

“My brother was a good kid,” she told 69 News.

While family members are demanding justice, police and prosecutors said the man who shot and killed the two suspects acted within the law.

Read more here: m.wfmz.com/families-want-justice-for-suspects-killed-after-robbery-of-kricks-korner-store-in-reading/-/15946050/22819374/-/vosp0z/-/index.html

:ehh:

The family of the “victims” don’t want justice; they want revenge.

The citizen who shot them acted properly. I see no problem here.

It doesn’t seem like the police will be arresting the shooter.

Hope it stays that way.

Oh please! I wonder how these men got the way they were?

This is where I live and I can tell you the things that go on in this city are horrendous. Too often these monsters commit these crimes and the city tries to keep everyone calm and are way too PC to seek justice on the victims behalf. On the rare occassions such as this, the people who commit these crimes are calling for justice!??

A friend of mine was riding home with another friend one evening on bicycles. It was dark and they entered an area where it was sort of secluded on a public trail. They had lights on and everything. A mob of teenagers on a bridge closed in on my friend as he was the last to got thru the bridge and a 14 yr old boy took a bottle and smashed on on my friends face and proceeded to stab him. Thankfully my friend survived but the police had already stopped this kid and questioned him earlier that evening for another crime. They had to let him go. Then he did this! What happened after that?? …nothing. Kid got away with it even after telling the judge “I did it for the heck of it to see what would happen to a white man”.

Sorry but THAT is a hate crime! And no one did anything.

I don’t encourage people to challenge criminals after a crime is committed. It is best to just observe and report to the police. He could have easily been the one killed. I’m a Army vet and worked as a security guard for ten years many years ago, so I have some experience dealing with crime and criminals.
While this man may not be criminally liable, he could be easily dragged into court in a civil case. The lawyer bills from such a case can easily drive one into bankruptcy and if you lose in court you can lose your home or automobiles by attachment of liens.
If somebody directly threatens you then you most certainly have the right of self defense, but to interject yourself into this type of situation is not a good idea and you may lose any civil court liability protections offered by the law. His action was to arrest the two men, so other civil laws applies to the situation.

The last line of the full article says “In addition to being exempt from criminal charges, Adams said because of the Castle Doctrine, the shooter now has civil protection from being sued by the families.”

He’s in the clear.

I’m not sure if I understand the article. If I understand it correctly, the civilian called 911 and then went outside and shot the two thieves. Right?

What I don’t understand is why he didn’t simply shoot to disable them such as in the legs or something so that they wouldn’t get away before police arrived. I also don’t understand whether or not his life was in danger. In other words, did he shoot in self-defense?

1. If someone points a gun at you, I think it is safe to say your life is in danger and deadly force is justified.

2. The legs are a much smaller target than the upper body and therefore harder to hit in an extremely fluid situation such as a gunfight.

3. Even if the good guy could have shot the bad guys in the legs, the bad guys can still shoot back. They can’t do that if they are dead.

No, He acted to arrest the men. That is not covered by any so called castle doctrine.

Apparently he confronted the men, trying to get them to stay there til the police came. The two men then pulled out their weapons and he pulled his and shot them.

The comments of the family indicate a complete jaw-dropping rupture with reality…

You shoot to stop the threat.

“Aiming to wound” is for movies. Plus had they lived they’d have sued him for violating their civil rights to commit armed robbery and Eric Holder would have made sure they won.

Hi, neighbor.:wave: I’m north of Reading, up near Bernville.

I’ve been following this story, too. Parts of Reading have a horrible crime problem, I agree. I think I remember the bicycle attack on your friend. I hope he’s healed physically and emotionally from that traumatic event.

I agree. Based on those comments it may be a good thing that these two will not be reproducing or raising another generation of this clan.

I am sorry that they lost their lives before they turned away from lives of crime, but evil acts have both natural and supernatural consequences. Armed robbery is a really bad career choice on many levels.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.