Family faith history

I am curious as to the family patterns of faith (or lack of) that we have among members here, so I thought I might ask in a poll. Please do not take this as an opportunity to criticize anyone’s religion, or lack thereof. It is the pattern that will be interesting, if any persons respond. Please elaborate about your family faith dynamics growing up if you would like. This always interests me.

I grew up in a Protestant (Reformed, then Congregational--UCC) household, went to church every Sunday, was an acolyte and youth group member, etc. I clearly have Protestant leanings in my point of view and independence from institutional doctrine. But I have lost my faith to the point that I am now agnostic. There may be a God, but I don't think so. This is not a position, however, that I was taught in my household nor in my upbringing.

Other families?

I will answer, and I hope I am understanding your question correctly.

I grew up in a mostly devout Catholic household. My parents were strict Catholics, but they were not pushy or overtly "annoying" about it. They led more by example than words. I went to Catholic school as did my siblings.

I went to a Lutheran college, and I stayed pretty devoutly Catholic through college although I did tend to party a bit :blush: sorority girl and all that. I went to Mass and prayed, but I enjoyed a good late night at the bar and a great fraternity party as much as the next college girl.

I met my husband in college, but he is not Catholic. He's ELCA. I do not forsee him ever converting, and while I pray that he does one day it has never been an issue for us. We've both grown in our respective faiths since our engagement a few years ago. We've also grown together just as a religious unit (if that makes sense).

We're due to have a baby any day now, and he will be raised Catholic - attend Catholic schools, Mass, etc. My husband is a huge part of this decision. He believes that the child is to be raised in the faith which we were married.

Did I answer your question correctly?

Thanks, financemom. Thanks for sharing! I married a Catholic in a Catholic church with a Protestant minister also present (my stepfather). So, I too know how these things can work out, although mine is quite different....

will you vote in the poll?

Growing up Dad was Lutheran and Mom was Catholic. However, after 30 years of marriage my Dad converted to Catholicism due to an experience he had with the Eurcharist. My Mom was really sick and one day asked to have the Eucharist given to her while she was at home. That day was the last time she threw up until she was well again (she was taking interferon treatments for cancer). His experience led him down the path to taking RCIA classes and eventually converting.

My husbands family did not have any structured form of religion but he did attend a Baptist church for a while in high school. He does not currently consider himself any specific religion.

my mother is a protestant, dad a catholic (although he doesnt seem to care too much). i am a catholic and i am more religious than them both.

I was raised Catholic, my parents are still Catholic.

I am a Unitarian Universalist.

My guess is that your situation is pretty unique. Thanks for sharing!

The power of healing can be very moving, yes. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe it's my age, but I don't fit any category!

My mother was a fundamentalist Protestant until she was 33 and went in a Catholic church and "felt Christ's presence", converted, baptized two of three kids, but the oldest one refused.
She went on to have six more kids, all baptized as infants, went to Catholic schools, two (I'm one of the two) went to convent boarding school, my degree is from public university, but my sister has advanced degrees from Catholic universities. We are two last Catholics standing in the family. She raised her three kids Catholic, but they don't practice.

My dad was raised as "nothing/atheist" with probable Jewish ancestry. He was baptized into the Church at age 69, and died two years later. If he were alive, he would be 99, and mom would be 96, but she died at age 75.

Just about all my family is reformed baptist or fundamental baptist. Me and my husband had been going to a methodist church until earlier this yr. We are looking forward to starting RCIA

classes in August.:D

[quote="bonniemarie, post:11, topic:200453"]
Just about all my family is reformed baptist or fundamental baptist. Me and my husband had been going to a methodist church until earlier this yr. We are looking forward to starting RCIA

classes in August.:D

[/quote]

I hope you will keep us "posted". God bless you on your journey, and you are in my prayers.

[quote="Katrina5, post:12, topic:200453"]
I hope you will keep us "posted". God bless you on your journey, and you are in my prayers.

[/quote]

Both of you, thanks for sharing. Very interesting stories. People come and go to/from faith for so many different reasons and from so many different contexts. I find it fascinating.

hey, who is the other agnostic/atheist....?

Parents are Protestant - I just converted.

This poll is hard for me because it makes me think about my dad (and maybe mom). Ever since we kids have grown up, I feel like they go to church more for the name of it than actually have a relationship with God. Not like I'm trying to judge, but when you say "faith" vs. "no faith" I really wonder if I should change my vote? It makes me sad.

oops, sorry Shelby. But you have raised a good point.

[quote="larkin31, post:8, topic:200453"]
My guess is that your situation is pretty unique. Thanks for sharing!

[/quote]

Not really. ;)

When I was growing up my mom was nominally Catholic and dad had no faith. My brother and I weren't baptised and religion was never discussed at home. I was received into the Catholic Church when I was 16. My dad is currently 'spiritual' and mom occasionally goes to church. My brother is agnostic.

My entire family is Catholic.
DH's parents both converted to Catholicism as teenagers... he was raised Catholic from birth.

Thanks, folks. Every story has been slightly different. Thanks for sharing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.