Family issues and my response

I have posted elsewhere about some of the issues going on in my family (parents and siblings.) I have come to believe that my father’s nightly drinking really was alcoholism (I always dismissed it as back pain), and that we are all still suffering the effects of that. I have come to see many incidents over the years as a pattern that hasn’t ended, rather than isolated incidents. Included in this is constantly blaming me for everyone else’s behavior, and physical violence. (One for instance-- my dad spent a night in jail for domestic violence, and let it be known for months afterward that his marriage problems were somehow my fault.)

Most recently, I have gotten several family members angry because I stay away from people who don’t control or apologize for their tempers (and then tell me their temper is really my fault). Today, my younger sister called me in a rage because I asked her to please call next time she’s not going to bring my daughter home at the expected time.

My dad’s family has at least a 3 generation history of family members getting fed up and walking away from these sorts of things. I have prayed for years for peace between him and his brother. I have prayed for peace in my own family. I’m sorry to say, although I’ll keep praying, I’ve pretty much given up hope for having a peaceful relationship with them. They have lived with these beliefs and patterns for decades.

I’m asking for everyone’s prayers for my family, my siblings, my parents, and for my decisions on how to handle these things. I don’t badmouth my family to my children, so they don’t really get why I’m now staying away, and they’re upset with the situation. I have realized since moving home again 5 years ago that my mother has lots of negative things to say about me to people-- including to my children, including things that aren’t even true. I have a fear of my family turning my children against me. :frowning:

Please, any prayers would be appreciated.

Prayer For Peace

Merciful Father,
We are together on Earth, alone in the universe.
Look at us and help us to love one another.
Teach us to understand each other,
just as you understand us.
Make our souls as fresh as the morning.
Make our hearts as innocent as the Lamb.
May we forgive each other, and forget the past,
and may we have peace inside - and in our world.
Today and forever.
Amen.

Praying for your family…

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and Blessed is the Fruit of Thy Womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Lord God, please hear the prayers and petitions of this person, who is so concerned for the state of his family. Lord, we thank You for giving him a family, Lord, and please remind him of that gift constantly, even in its dysfunction. However, Lord, a broken family often feels like no family at all, and as it is one of Your greatest gifts, please help this person to do what they can to heal the broken bonds of their family. Remind them to place their trust in You, Lord, to do all the rest. Please console this person, and help them to not meet anger with anger. Through Jesus Christ, Our Lord, I pray. Amen.

You and your family are in my prayers. God Bless.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Praying hard for peace in your family.

Continued prayers…

PATER NOSTER, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.