Family members attacking catholic church

I have some non- catholic and very anti-catholics family members that like to argue with me about the church and think the church is wrong and horrible. Any advice on this?Appreciate all answers!

Matthew 5:11-12

11 “Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.
12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so men persecuted the prophets who were before you.”

Remember the Church was established by Christ and no one else. He suffered much more than we ever could.

Matthew 10:34 Do not think that I came to send peace upon earth: I came not to send peace, but the sword 35 For I came to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Luke 12:53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against his father, the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother, the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law

pray for your family members, this is the sword he brought to separate us…stay with His sheep and trust He means that to love Him is to do His will…not the worlds…acknowledge that it is not the Church that is horrible, but the people in the Church that are horrible…we are not a museum of Saints, but a hospital for sinners…for 2000 yrs, from the popes to the laypersons… after-all we are human…it is not the Church that is wrong, but people in the Church that are wrong…Jesus Christ doesnt make mistakes saying His Church will survive until He comes again, nor does the Holy Spirit, with guiding its Faith and Morals…

1 Matthew 25:32
And all nations shall be gathered together before him, and he shall separate them one from another, as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats:

2 Matthew 25:33
And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left.

i will pray for them too…and mine … :thumbsup:

God Bless

Hi catholicboy
Dealing with difficult people not only tests our faith in God, but it also puts our witness on display. For us to be a witness to Christ we need to pray and read the bible.You are only just learning now about the Catholic Church.My advice would be to avoid confrontation until you have more sound knowledge.

Keep in mind your ultimate goal isn’t to win an argument, but to win a soul for Christ. What a Catholic apologist (expert) offers is the truth of the Catholic faith.It takes time and study to become an apologist so until you have more knowledge you should avoid arguments. Above all, you need prayer that God will use your efforts to prepare your acquaintance’s soul for the gift of faith. You will need to do some homework first, of course if you are to be able to answer their enquiries. You need a solid understanding of God’s nature and how He established His church here on earth through Jesus to St.Peter being the first Pope.You can tell your critics that God has called you and His Holy Spirit is moving you to join His Holy Chruch here on earth the Catholic Church.God bless you my friend

Catholic boy, perhaps it is better to try to nip the arguments in the bud if possible, respond with something like, I understand where you are coming from, but I have come to look at it all differently and for now I think it would be best not to get into such discussions or arguments.:slight_smile: Could work, give it a try;) God bless you in your love for Him, Peace, Carlan

LOVE. Be charitable in your life, actions, responses, etc.
When it’s family it can be tough.

I would look on this as an opportunity to learn muchmore about the faith.
If they are attacking with specific charges and misrepresentation of the faith I would suggest saying -
“Whoa!! That does not sound right. Let me write this down so I can look it up. And while I’m looking it up, I’d like you to find the source that makes you beleive that”.

Normally their source is some protestant author who is misquoting or misapplying something. In the meantime you will be able to get the correct teaching from actual Catholic Documents.

If their attacks are more general broadsides about things like the abuse scandals Suggest to them that you all pray together that such abuses be ended for good and that Christ bring all souls to Himself.

If they are bringing up historical issues (inquisition, crusades) simply admit that there were errors made, but also that there were errors made on both sides and the thing to do is to move past those old hurts in Christian fellowship. Neither they or you are guilty of any wrongdoing and even Christ Himself forgave his tormentors from the cross. Surely we can forgive each other the sins of our forebears.

The most important thing to keep in mind is to remain calm - such people simply Love to draw you into a heated argument - To “get your goat” as they say…
Stay calm. Answer smoothly or if you don’t know the specific answer just say so and tell them you will get the answer for them.

Finally - know when to just sit quietly and let them rant. They will soon tire of the game if they know they cannot get to you.
Let them know that if they wish a serious discussion you will be happy to oblige. Otherwise, you have nothing to say. “Do not cast your pearls before swine”, and “If they will not hear you shake the dust from your sandals as you leave”.

Peace
James

I would be more surprised if you didnt. Get used to it. It is our lot in life to have opposition. We live in a secular world that opposes both GOD and the Commandments. So go to Mass , Pray your prayers and live your faitth. Your good example will show them more than any argument ever would. Learn to turn the other cheek and by living your faith as best you can - YOU will be the light shining in the darkness as spoken of in Matthew Chapter 5.

Pax

Buy one of these:

http://blog.apxalarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/IgnoreButton.jpg

When they start bashing the Catholic Church, bring it out, place it in front of them, and press.

:D:thumbsup:

Oh…can I use that for the MIL that does it very subtly…actually…she ignores her son’s conversion and keeps talking about her church…non-stop

It’s tough bein’ the big dawg!!! Everyone wants a shot at you.

You would do well to accept that this is the prevailing attitude among non-Catholics.

But plenty of wanna-be’s have come around, not necessarily by joining, but by abandoning their anti-Catholic rhettoric. Billy Graham and Jerry Falwell come to mind.

I once heard someone say that when you become Catholic, you should give up your right to be offended.

I’m still working on that one!

:thumbsup:

Did they do this on Christmas day ?

Remember, that the Catholic church is the church that Christ founded himself. He founded no other church. People will attack it, and as long as we are here, and until Christ comes again they shall. Well that’s their problem, whenever they say something to you, just tell them that you are sick of hearing about it, and to stop. Blessed are those who are persecuted for the sake of truth, to paraphrase some of the Beatitudes. Just pray, pray, and pray, pray to the Blessed Virgin! Spend an hour in adoration to our Lord in the Holy Eucharist. God Bless :signofcross::byzsoc:

It is very difficult to argue someone into faith. Thankfully, there is no need. Christ took human flesh to show us how to live. Imitate Christ. Live your Faith. Deny the world. Take up your cross and follow Him. Call it a day.

The Catholic Church was founded by Christ, the LIVING Word of God. That’s a great place to start. There’s a book by Arch Bishop Fulton Sheen which was written from a set of records he made called Life Is Worth Living. Check it out. Also, I think they have mp3 files of the actual recordings on ewtn’s website.

Finally, grow in your knowledge of the Catholic Church and what it means to be Catholic. Then, when family members want to speak against Catholicism and, perhaps, even you being Catholic, you will know where you stand. I have been attacked by many over the past 10 years because of churches popping up in my area and I find the “venom” that comes from others has to do with misunderstandings. Once that is brought out and you can see it, then you can show them the error in what they are saying. At that point, if a person can’t accept that you know your faith better than they THINK they do, one of two things can happen. They are either going to agree to disagree or they will question.

It can actually be a blessing to have people come at you because it will force you to grow in your faith. When you do, you will be amazed at the complete truth and faith.

Two things to becareful of: FIRST, try to keep your cool because that’s when you will say things you shouldn’t be saying. And, SECOND, never say anything that you are unsure of; tell them, instead, you’ll check and get back with them. With the second, I have experienced those going against me to get over confident, thinking, you will only discover what they are saying to be true and, when you comeback with the true answer, it took a little fight out of them.

I have found that attacks by protestants are usually driven more by fear and ignorance than by malice. They are most often led astray by bad information, usually from some other family member or by some poorly educated “pastor” who are simply repeating what they have been told by others. The best defense against this sort of thing is knowledge on your part. As another poster has said, argue from knowledge, not from ignorance. Learn and know your faith, if someone asks you something that you do not know, find out. If someone challenges Catholic belief or practice, be prepared to give them the truth of our belief. Their objections are usually based on a few Scripture passages that they have memorized and that are easily refuted. Remember, we have two thousand years of experience with objections and two thousand years of guidance by the Holy Spirit. Study, study, study…learn your Faith. If they are not converted by your Faith, at least they will learn to leave you alone.:thumbsup:

I get this all the time. I best advice to ignore it. My Grandfather grew up Catholic and was tricked in to Pentecostalism and it created a whole separation in the family. Not so with my Grandfather, but my Grandmother and my Uncle and his wife

Dear Catholicboy,

I do not have the answer for you, but my adivse is to very politly say that you will not argue, you will answer any questions they have as long as they are not rude and condesending. If asked a question that you are not cmfortable answering simply tell them that is a good question let me write that down so to make sure i have it correct and I will get back to you with a answer. Then come here are to someone as your priest for the answer. Do not get drawn into a debate. And when all else fails smile and say I respect your right to practice and express your faith and love for God as you see fit please respect mine to do likewise.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.