Family of Converts needs to baptize 2yo son - we have no Godparents!?

My husband and I were just confirmed at Easter vigil (many of you may already know that as I have mentioned it here before). Our 5yo daughter was christened in the Lutheran church as an infant, but with constant moving since the birth of our now 2yo son, we neglected to have him christened as well. We wanted to do it, but couldn’t schedule it. Now that we are a Catholic family, we want (need) to have our son baptized in the Catholic church. We are going to take the baptism class in two weeks.
Here the problem: we have NO Catholic family members who can be godparent to our son. Our daughter has a godparent; my sister-in-law was her godparent. Trouble is, she is now not so sure of her faith (I pray for her!), and she has recently married an atheist in a civil ceremony. And of course, she is not a Catholic. We also do not have any close friends in our church, and we are still very new to the area.
So, we know a child needs a godparent, but we know of no one who could or would be willing to fulfill that role (and responsibility) for our family. Also, we will be going through the process of having our 5yo daughter brought into the Catholic church. I am told that it has something to do with being presented with the Creed and the Lord’s Prayer. Will she also need a Catholic sponsor/godparent? Finally, there is absolutely no way that her current godparent could/would be able to travel to us for any rites or for overseeing any part of her spiritual education.
So there is our problem. Does anyone have any ideas on how to jump these hurdles? We do not want to delay the baptism of our son any longer, especially since we now have a better understanding of how very important baptism of children is.
Thanks for reading my long post and for any advice you might have!

What about your RCIA sponsors, from when you came into the Church this Easter?

[quote="CatofAlexandria, post:2, topic:196550"]
What about your RCIA sponsors, from when you came into the Church this Easter?

[/quote]

I had thought about them, but I wasn't sure that would be fair to put them on the spot like that, because my sponsor is past 60, and my husband's sponsor is very involved in various ministries, like a prison ministry, and is so busy that he was really stretching himself already to be a sponsor. We were matched up with people who were willing to be sponsors for us, having never met us, just because they wanted to help bring new members into the church. They have already been so kind to us, I would hate to make them feel obligated to do more than they bargained for, especially considering they are all our parents ages or older.

That was a good suggestion, though. Thanks! Any other ideas?...

How about the other people on the RCIA team? Or is there a good nun who works at your parish? The nun who works at our parish has untold numbers of godchildren through her years at the RCIA.

This could work! We do have other families in RCIA who converted in previous years and who still come back to RCIA every year because they love it and they lead a couple of lessons. We also have a couple of religious sisters (not nuns, though) who might be willing or able. I will check on this next week in class with our RCIA coordinator. Thanks!

Other possibilities may be people you will meet in the baptism class.

My middle child’s godparents were a deacon at our church and his wife, whose daughter had babysat for my kids (at the time we also had a serious shortage of Catholic relatives and friends).

And there would be no reason the same people couldn’t sponsor your daughter as well, so you don’t need four people. . . . (in fact I think you actually only need one sponsor, although it’s traditional to have two).

I just wanted to say I understand, as we were in the exact same boat with our 2-year-old - we didn’t want to obligate our sponsors, who barely knew us, were older, and had already been so kind. It was stressful, and I felt like some kind of a failure that I couldn’t come up with good godparents for my child. We finally asked a friend and his wife who we knew were good Catholics and had kids the same age as ours to be godparents, even though they are far away and cannot come to the ceremony. We asked our sponsors to be proxies. Both accepted, and we were so thankful and relieved! It was important to us to have sponsors for our child that would likely be around for the teenage/young adult years, even if there is little communication. We were really touched by our friends willingness to be godparents, as we were not close or anything, almost just acquaintances. As a new Catholic, it heartened me to see how willing to help one another people are. I hope I can return the favor someday to some other family, whether I know them really well or not. I guess what I’m trying to say is, don’t worry if you aren’t really close; you may be surprised to find that a person/couple from RCIA or elsewhere would be honored to be a godparent for your children!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.