Family Says They Did Tip Gay Server, Didn't Leave Note

After a gay server at a New Jersey restaurant said a customer denied her a tip and wrote her a hateful note on the receipt, a local family contacted NBC 4 New York and said their receipt shows they paid a tip and didn't write any such note.

nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Gay-Server-Tip-Lifestyle-Receipt-Discrepancy-233040811.html

[quote="estesbob, post:1, topic:346315"]
After a gay server at a New Jersey restaurant said a customer denied her a tip and wrote her a hateful note on the receipt, a local family contacted NBC 4 New York and said their receipt shows they paid a tip and didn't write any such note.

nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Gay-Server-Tip-Lifestyle-Receipt-Discrepancy-233040811.html

[/quote]

Ugh, it's surprising that the manager himself claims the no-tip was real though. Was he in on this too for publicity for the restaurant or something? Not being able to explain the credit card charge or produce the original receipt says a lot. Either way, it's disgusting behavior by the waitress.

Seems she also set up a PayPal account for people to donate if they wanted to help her. Glad to see she got caught and didn't get to scam people for more than a few thousand dollars.

How would a person have any idea what the "lifestyle" of a waiter was, unless the waiter talked way too much? If my waiter felt that it was necessary to tell me all about their sex life, I would have called management over before I left the resturant!

I'm very suprised sometimes by how much publicity people feel they need - folks are rushing to the media (and social media) over every little that happens to them! The vast majority of which is not intentionally meant to be hurtful and isn't really news at all. :shrug:

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this was a fraudulent action by the waitress. After all, the lady's credit card statement clearly shows the total that included the tip.

[quote="SMGS127, post:2, topic:346315"]
Ugh, it's surprising that the manager himself claims the no-tip was real though. Was he in on this too for publicity for the restaurant or something? Not being able to explain the credit card charge or produce the original receipt says a lot. Either way, it's disgusting behavior by the waitress.

[/quote]

Someone should have done some basic research to begin with. For instance how would they know she was homosexual? Why didnt the restaurant immediately check their records when the story came out. They HAVE to segregate credit card tips by employee so it would have been very, very easy to check.

[quote="estesbob, post:6, topic:346315"]
Someone should have done some basic research to begin with. For instance how would they know she was homosexual? Why did the restaurant immediately check their records when the story came out. They HAVE to segregate credit card tips by employee so it would have been very, very easy to check.

[/quote]

Exactly!

I'll be honest but something smells very fishy about this and its coming from the restaurant and that waitress.

It is possible that the waitress was duped as well. If the person paid with a credit card, someone had to have rung it up. If the person who took payment was not the waitress, it would have been easy for them to make a copy of the receipt and alter the amount paid. It is not unheard of for the management (or other servers) to steal tips from servers.

[quote="Dawnia, post:8, topic:346315"]
It is possible that the waitress was duped as well. If the person paid with a credit card, someone had to have rung it up. If the person who took payment was not the waitress, it would have been easy for them to make a copy of the receipt and alter the amount paid. It is not unheard of for the management (or other servers) to steal tips from servers.

[/quote]

You are right that this is possible but how does that explain the note that was supposedly left by the customer on the receipt?

[/quote]

Still doesn't explain the other, fraudulent copy, circulating with the note.

[/quote]

Not likely. The whole "sob story, give me money" angle she took indicates she was fishing for sympathy from the start. A normal reaction to a big fat meanie calling you a name is not running to the media and asking for money.

It's also really sad that a big fat meanie calling someone a mean name makes the national news. Even if it were true, it isn't national news.

[quote="Burt_Macklin, post:3, topic:346315"]
Seems she also set up a PayPal account for people to donate if they wanted to help her. Glad to see she got caught and didn't get to scam people for more than a few thousand dollars.

[/quote]

Greed, desire for fame, sympathy for supposed "hate crime". All so predictable and so sad. May the Lord have mercy on these people.

Do handwriting experts still exist?

[quote="estesbob, post:6, topic:346315"]
Someone should have done some basic research to begin with. For instance how would they know she was homosexual? Why didnt the restaurant immediately check their records when the story came out. They HAVE to segregate credit card tips by employee so it would have been very, very easy to check.

[/quote]

Well remember, management actually BACKED HER UP, saying the posted receipt was real when asked about this family's statement. So it makes me wonder (as has already been stated) that maybe she was being duped? Or maybe it was a concocted story between her and the restaurant where they split the profits of the scam? It's hard to know really.

As for knowing that she's lesbian, she has what I used to call the "d**e cut" back when I was an active lesbian. It's not really that hard to know if someone is gay when they dress and present themselves in a way that's meant to be fairly obvious (and before anyone accuses them of being voyeuristic, it's meant to advertise yourself to potential girlfriends since the dating pool is so low and to give them more confidence that you actually are attracted to women before they hit on you).

[quote="Holly3278, post:9, topic:346315"]
You are right that this is possible but how does that explain the note that was supposedly left by the customer on the receipt?

[/quote]

Whomever took the payment could have easily scrawled the note on the reciept. People do some pretty crazy stuff to hide their own wrong doing or to poke at someone they don't like.

Could it have been a (senseless) joke gone too far and public?

[quote="SMGS127, post:14, topic:346315"]
Well remember, management actually BACKED HER UP, saying the posted receipt was real when asked about this family's statement. So it makes me wonder (as has already been stated) that maybe she was being duped? Or maybe it was a concocted story between her and the restaurant where they split the profits of the scam? It's hard to know really.

[/quote]

The management's claim is what made me suspicious. They would have had to have the original reciept showing the tip in order to charge the additional $18 tip as verified by the credit card bill. Someone is not telling the truth. Whether that is the management or the waitress, we may never know.

[quote="Dawnia, post:17, topic:346315"]
The management's claim is what made me suspicious. They would have had to have the original reciept showing the tip in order to charge the additional $18 tip as verified by the credit card bill. Someone is not telling the truth. Whether that is the management or the waitress, we may never know.

[/quote]

Whether that is the management or the waitress or the customer, we may never know.

[quote="agnes_therese, post:18, topic:346315"]
Whether that is the management or the waitress or the customer, we may never know.

[/quote]

Why the customer? The tip is showing on the credit card bill.

[/quote]

That theory fails when you consider that the waitress has to cash-out at the end of the night, and balance up their credit card and cash receipts against the amount totaled on their tables.

The tip would have shown up when her total was $18 too little.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.