Family Ties?

Do passages such as:

Mathew 12: 47-50: “ 47 Someone said to Him, “Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside seeking to speak to You.” 48But Jesus answered the one who was telling Him and said, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?” 49And stretching out His hand toward His disciples, He said, "Behold My mother and My brothers! 50*For whosoever shall do the will of my Father, that is in heaven, he is my brother, and sister, and mother.

And in Mathew 22: 22-30- When Jesus is asked about during the resurrection who will be the husband of a wife , who has had lots of husbands. Jesus answers, “You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.”

Do these passages suggest that Jesus is teaching that our earthly familial bonds will not carry-over after death? And that what is important is obeying God, not our earthly relationships?

When we go into life everlasting, we do not take our DNA with us; we will become spiritual bodies.

While we will not forget the loved ones of our human life, the geometry of relationships will not **per se **survive. All such associations will be subsumed into our relationship with our LORD.

Marriage does not continue because it is for procreation, which does not occur in the everlasting life.

IMNAAHO.

ICXC NIKA

Thank you GEddie I appreciate your answer. :slight_smile:

CCC 997 What is “rising”? In death, the separation of the soul from the body, the human body decays and the soul goes to meet God, while awaiting its reunion with its glorified body. God, in his almighty power, will definitively grant incorruptible life to our bodies by reuniting them with our souls, through the power of Jesus’ Resurrection.

Many of the Jews thought that they were God’s chosen people simply because they were Jewish. Jesus was correcting them and uses his mother as an example.

For whosoever shall do the will of my Father, that is in heaven, he is my brother, and sister, and mother. (Matthew 24:50)

We are not children of the Father and brothers of Christ because we were born Jewish or Catholic. We are part of God’s covenant family because we do the will of the Father.

No one did God’s will more than Mary.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.