Family wants FBI probe in to officer's fatal shooting of 15-year-old

I can’t help but wonder if the Martin case is influencing the family to react in this manner. It appears that the facts speak for themselves and there is no reason to call in the FBI to investigate. I also cannot help but wonder if the Martin case influenced the boy to make the choices he did that led to his death.

Praying for the boy and his family. This did not have to happen and is such a waste of a young life. So sad.

"Family wants FBI probe in to officer’s fatal shooting of 15-year-old

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) – The family of a 15-year-old boy who was shot and killed by a St. Louis County police officer in north St. Louis County wants the FBI to further investigate the incident."…

Source: kmov.com/news/Family-wants-FBI-to-investigate-officers-fatal-shooting-of-15-year-old-146318015.html

Here is an article about the case from the local paper. A Google search of “Lavon Peete” turns up several articles.

"Family of teen killed by St. Louis County police want investigation

ST. LOUIS COUNTY • Lavon Peete, 15, pointed a sawed-off rifle at the county police officer who shot and killed him, Police Chief Tim Fitch said Wednesday.

But Justin Meehan, a spokesman for Lavon’s family, disputes the account and is calling for the FBI to investigate."…

Blue excerpt from article here: stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/family-of-teen-killed-by-st-louis-county-police-want/article_fca6bc72-7e53-11e1-8ff5-0019bb30f31a.html

I also cannot help but wonder if the Martin case influenced the boy to make the choices he did that led to his death.

I don’t think this case caused the boy to do what he did, I do believe it is the influence for the parents going so far to investigate this incident.

As for the case itself, the Officer was being targeted with an illegally customized shotgun-he had every right to fire.

That may be true. I just can’t help but wonder if the media firestorm over the Martin case made Peete think he could act however he wanted and an officer would hesitate to act because of that case.

I think so too.

I agree, except I think it was a rifle rather than a shotgun.

It’s in the prosecuting attorney Bob McCulloch’s hands.

I don’t always agree with him, but he is pretty fair and unbiased.

I agree. If after investigation, McCulloch determines that the shooting was justified, I hope that puts the matter to rest and the family accepts the decision.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.