Famous moms attend Mass

Kind of nice to see paparazzi “catching” celebrities going to mass…

dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1380253/Reese-Witherspoon-smiles-takes-family-Easter-church-service.html

How in the world is it a good thing to see a divorced and remarried actress who appears naked in movies going in to a Catholic Church?

It’s a good thing any time anyone goes to Church with a devotional intent. Perhaps this may be part of a reversion for her. :slight_smile:

The Church is a hospital for sinners, not a hotel for saints as the saying goes. Good that her children aren’t deprived of exposure to the Church and the sacraments regardless of their mom’s professional choices :slight_smile:

Ordinary people go to church. Famous people go to church.

We are all sinners in some way no matter what our profession is and other things in our lives. Its just the famous people and their sins that get publicity.

At least Reese Witherspoon’s and also Camilla Alves’ children were dressed decently for church compared to some of the young people that came to Mass on Easter Sunday at the church I attended. Some of the girls were wearing very short skirts or dresses, many young men & women were wearing blue jeans (and some were wearing tees not a regular plain shirt) with tennis shoes.

Good.
Religion, especially the catholic religion has been hounded out of the public square so much these days, its rather unusual, and frankly a little brave to actually publically espouse it.
The more normal or socially acceptable going to church becomes, the more people will go, and that is a good thing.

I know some people in various parts of Europe who are Christian-in hiding for fear of a negative reaction from their hysterically anti-theist family or friends. I know of one story where a rabidly anti-christian son actually toned down his attacks on his revert mother when he found out that his favorite singer, Bono was a christian.

I haven’t heard that expression before, but I love it–thanks for sharing!

Oh, I have no problem with them going to Mass. No problem at all. Just calling attention to them being Catholic. You call attention to Catholics living exemplary lives. The rest of us should go to Mass in quiet obscurity.

On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” Mark 2:17

Or the Prodical son. Luke 15:11-32

One lived and exemplary life and the other didn’t! :thumbsup:

[quote="PaulinVA, post:2, topic:237586"]
How in the world is it a good thing to see a divorced and remarried actress who appears naked in movies going in to a Catholic Church?

[/quote]

Reese's husband committed adultery. She was allowed to remarry. I've also seen about all of her movies,and have never once seen her naked. Your judgment toward a person you know nothing about makes me ill.

Really people? Really? Making this a jeans-at-mass debate?

I wear jeans at Mass. Always have, always will. I’m not a dress person, although sometimes I’ll wear a summer dress.

People like you who criticize the outer clothing and miss the whole person drive me nuts. I’m about two seconds away from saying you’re what’s wrong with the Church today.

[quote="MissRose73, post:5, topic:237586"]
...At least Reese Witherspoon's and also Camilla Alves' children were dressed decently for church compared to some of the young people that came to Mass on Easter Sunday at the church I attended. Some of the girls were wearing very short skirts or dresses, many young men & women were wearing blue jeans (and some were wearing tees not a regular plain shirt) with tennis shoes.

[/quote]

I don't want to derail the thread, but I think customs have changed over the years. It used to be that folks would get a new Easter outfit, a new spring dress and hat or bonnet for girls (and also women) and maybe white shoes too and an Easter suit for boys. I noticed that while most folks were dressed nicer than usual at the Easter Vigil Mass I attended, almost nobody was really decked out in Easter wear and nobody wore a hat. I guess that custom of getting something new and springy has gone the way of the dinosaur.

Now, back to the thread. :)

[quote="lovemyboys, post:10, topic:237586"]
Reese's husband committed adultery. She was allowed to remarry. I've also seen about all of her movies,and have never once seen her naked. Your judgment toward a person you know nothing about makes me ill.

[/quote]

This was my thought also. I have always been a huge fan of Reese simply because A) she is a great actress and B) she has morals.

It was here husband that that broke the wedding vows not her. I never knew she was Catholic and I must say I am pleasntly surprised to here and see this news.

[quote="lovemyboys, post:10, topic:237586"]

[/quote]

Let me ask you something - why did you post this in the first place? Why do you think this is important?

It is truly awful and reprehensible that he had chosen to ignore his wedding vows. However, that does not mean she is released from hers.

Maybe. Do you know that for sure? Is her current marriage valid in the eyes of the Church? Did she seek and obtain a Decree of Nullity regarding her first union? Did she marry validly in the Catholic Church for her second union?

Not to be rude, but unless we can answer the questions I asked above, it appears that none of us knows enough about the person to make any judgment about her.

From what I have read about her, she was raised Episcopalian, and is apparently a regular churchgoer at an Episcopal church. Her first wedding took place at a plantation, the second at her ranch.

I don’t know enough to comment further, except that she seems more normal and grounded than most Hollywood types.

And so No One should actually assume the worst…

in the End… Who cares? Why does anyone get angry over this? OP obviously thought it was interesting, and wanted to share. Who gets to tell the OP it’s not important?

Seriously, if you don’t find the info of any sort of value… MOVE ON!

" Don’t Judge lest you be judged" careful

At least Reese Witherspoon’s and also Camilla Alves’ children were dressed decently for church compared to some of the young people that came to Mass on Easter Sunday at the church I attended. Some of the girls were wearing very short skirts or dresses, many young men & women were wearing blue jeans (and some were wearing tees not a regular plain shirt) with tennis shoes. /QUOTE

Many people assume that the ones in jeans are the Christmas Easter Catholics we should not judge them, by appearances. On Good Friday I was locked out of my house my mom had locked it. I had forgotten my key. I had had class and was going to another church 5 minutes away. I had to go in jeans and a teeshirt to service. We don’t know each persons situation and cannot judge them. ( judge all the time :o:blush:)
You see someone you don’t know and you think they are Christmas Easter Catholics What if they go to the 8 while you go to the 12 you never know.

I don’t know much about her at all. I think I’ve seen part of one of her movies. My first post in this thread really wasn’t about her. It is below.

This is my second post.

My second was to try to diffuse tension and the judgmental idea thrown out. My only point in making my second post was that I truly doubt any of us really know enough about her to judge anything. Really, all we know is that she has been married more than once.

Personally, I think it was nice to see she is grounded enough to care enough about Easter to go to services. I would guess a lot of celebrities wouldn’t give it a thought. But, I’m not sure it really means all that much to anyone but perhaps herself and her family.

Please see my most recent post in this thread, #19 above.

Did someone really get angry? I didn’t notice that, though there was a little tension there, I suppose, but not on my part. As far as the rest of your post, yep.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.