Fan into a flame

In 2 Timothy, Chapter 1 Verse 6 mentions:
That is why I am reminding you now to fan into a flame the gift of God that you possess through the laying on of my hands.

Please explain Fan into a flame.

You’ve never fanned firewood embers into flame?

Luke 12:49 “I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!

This is the fire of the Holy Spirit. Some souls have lost the fire and only embers remain.

Peace

From the Haydock Bible haydock1859.tripod.com/id234.html
…The grace, which St. Paul here exhorts Timothy to stir up in him, was the grace he had received by imposition of hands, either in his confirmation, or at receiving the sacrament of orders, being a bishop. …

I’ve never fanned firewood embers into flame, but I have blown them into flame (usually just a single glowing stick). That said, I understand what Paul was talking about; to “fan [something] into flame” is a pretty common expression in English.

More air, to a degree, helps a fire grow. If you are trying to start a fire and have something burning or a small flame, you would blow at it, or fan it, or pump the bellows to help the flame grow bigger and hotter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.