Fans vent fury at Jeremy Irons ‘moronic’ comments about abortion

Jeremy Irons has angered fans after claiming abortion ‘harms women’ and should be considered a ‘sin’.
The Oscar winner, 67, showcased some striking opinions in a conversation with The Guardian with his thoughts on the right to life among topics discussed.
‘Take abortion… I believe women should be allowed to make the decision, but I also think the church is right to say it’s a sin,’ he said.

Read more: metro.co.uk/2016/03/25/fans-vent-fury-at-jeremy-irons-after-moronic-comments-about-abortion-5774946/#ixzz443Z0iZhe

He was great in The Mission and Kingdom of Heaven. I haven’t seen too many of his other films, but Night Train to Lisbon is on my list.

Good for him!

Fans vent fury at Jeremy Irons after ‘moronic’ comments about abortion

metro.co.uk/2016/03/25/fans-vent-fury-at-jeremy-irons-after-moronic-comments-about-abortion-5774946/#ixzz443Z0iZhe

‘Abortion harms a woman – it’s a tremendous mental attack, and physical, sometimes. But we seem to get that muddled. In a way, thank God the Catholic church does say we won’t allow it, because otherwise nobody’s saying that it’s a sin.’

Some interesting quotes from the article:

[quote=Jeremy Irons]I think all of society should be a thinktank where you throw ideas about. I had hoped the internet would help. Actually, what it has done is make everybody go schtum. They’re attacked for saying anything. So they say nothing.
[/quote]

[quote=Jeremy Irons]Our society is based on a Christian structure, if you take those religious tenets away, then anything goes and it will become terrible – and you usually get into trouble.
[/quote]

[quote=Jeremy Irons]Adultery might be very nice, but finally it ****s us up. And it ****s up the structure of society. We don’t steal – well, some people do – because it makes life intolerable for everybody. Yes, you can be in love and raise a family wonderfully by not being married, but actually marriage does give us a strength, because it’s quite hard to get out of, and so it makes us fight more to keep it together. If divorce becomes dead easy – which it sort of has – then we don’t have that backup. Because, for everybody, relationships are hard.
[/quote]

[quote=Jeremy Irons]Take abortion. I believe women should be allowed to make the decision, but I also think the church is right to say it’s a sin. Because sin is actions that harm us. Lying harms us. Abortion harms a woman – it’s a tremendous mental attack, and physical, sometimes. But we seem to get that muddled. In a way, thank God the Catholic church does say we won’t allow it, because otherwise nobody’s saying that it’s a sin.
[/quote]

[quote=Jeremy Irons][The US election signals] maybe the end of democracy. If democracy has become a gameshow where you vote for the one who makes you laugh most, or whatever, then we’re not worthy to have the vote.
[/quote]

Not surprising, whenever someone publicly goes against popular sentiment, it always leads to outrage and disgust. lol

Christians should know this more so than most.

This reaction is pretty telling. He even said women should still be allowed to make the decision, just that it is a sin. So they’re furious at him for what exactly? Not for trying to prevent abortion (because he isn’t), but for preventing guilt-free abortion–for suggesting that there is some kind of right and wrong.

Where is the “moronic” part?

Note the poll at the page bottom! The overwhelming majority totally agrees with Irons!

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.